Daily charges for touring caravans

Can anyone help or advise please ?

My touring caravan has been on a seasonal pitch in Scotland for the last few years. This year the site have started to charge us for the electric as it was previously included in our site fees.

No problem with paying for my usage.

However, on my first bill there is a daily charge for electric.

I have queried it with the site and this is the reply -

Its a standard charge that is applied to a property or holiday home with an electricity supply.

Can they do this ?

The electricity supply isn't a dedicated supply wired into my caravan, it is connected by the standard 3 pin plug into an electricity supply that I have access to which I then unplug when I leave.

Has anyone come across this before ?

Thanks

Posted (edited)

Check your contract - can they make changes without your agreement?

And do they mean a (daily) standing charge (as applied by all energy providers) rather than a standard charge? 

Edited by Woodentop

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

How much is the daily charge out of interest?

Living the dream, well more of a nightmare ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Discovery 4 Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

In houses we all pay a daily standing charge and utilities have been increasing this in recent years. 

It is to pay for the infrastructure. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Sadly our world is dominated by money.  The more a person can get the more content that person will be normally. The bigger house they will own and perhaps even the bigger caravan!

Capitalism works like that and sites are part of the system.  We are all in it together except those who pay for goods and services are at the mercy of those who charge for them. 

I suspect that your particular problem is not uncommon throughout the Leisure Industry and it may get worse as the cost of living increases and inflation takes hold.

Remember the change to Euros?  Certainly I noticed significant "real" price increases at that time in France - not eased by variations in the exchange rate of course and that's still an issue very relevant in the past few years.

Just back from Croatia and they are terrified of the upcoming change from kuna to Euro.  People expect everything to be more expensive and my bet is that will be the case.  

"Rounding up" will be far more common than "rounding down"

In my view we will all be expected to pay higher prices (and some increases will be entirely in line with cost increases to the manufacturer or Service Provider - which may be the position in your case). 

I guess for many ordinary working people their way of life will need to change to cope with the extra financial burden.   Hopefully in spite of your electricity charge you will still be able to enjoy your Scottish "hideaway". 

this seems very strange, I thought that no one can charge more than the electricity used on sites, so you would be charged for the electricity used , but the site owners are charging you a  daily charge which is normally levied to a  property or a holiday home, which I would have thought meant a static  or mobile home with a wired in supply.   I would definately query  it and perhaps get the other people with seasonal vans together on this aswell.

7 minutes ago, joanie said:

this seems very strange, I thought that no one can charge more than the electricity used on sites, so you would be charged for the electricity used , but the site owners are charging you a  daily charge which is normally levied to a  property or a holiday home, which I would have thought meant a static  or mobile home with a wired in supply.   I would definately query  it and perhaps get the other people with seasonal vans together on this aswell.

My (perhaps limited) understanding is: 

The per unit price may only be resold at the price paid by the reseller (site owner) but… 

• any standing charge s/he pays for that electricity can be re-charged on a pro rata non-profit basis.
  • The reseller (site owner) can also charges whatever s/he likes for the electrical infrastructure, cost of metering etc.   This can take the form of a service charge per day, month, season etc.

These standing and service charges must be raised and billed separately.  They can’t be incorporated into the per unit price that he resells his electricity at.

I’d say then that notwithstanding any contractual limitations that may prevail, the site owner can pass on his standing charge to every sited caravan as a per pitch daily standing  charge even when no energy is being consumed by that pitch and/or a separate service/infrastructure charge. 

The OP’s site owner appears to be doing it properly with a separately itemised daily standing charge.

I can understand what you 're saying, but as a tempoary dwelling, i.e.  a tourer rather than a static, surely any overheads would be included in the site fees.  

They can charge you for the facility if they want and it is then up to you to either accept it or move the caravan. You should have been notified of the change though when you renewed the pitch rental so check what was given to you. If they list the charges and it is not there then technically they cannot charge but could ask  you to leave if the conditions allow that. 

Just now, joanie said:

I can understand what you 're saying, but as a tempoary dwelling, i.e.  a tourer rather than a static, surely any overheads would be included in the site fees.  

Why… charges can be presented in any form.  By keeping these newly introduced 'ancillary' charges separate from the seasonal pitch fee they can be increased or decreased at any time without affecting the site fees already paid.

We will see more and more of this where charges change from being per pitch inclusive to per pitch plus as energy prices continue to spiral.  

Being a ‘Tourer' rather than a 'Static' does not really appear to be material… it is on a seasonal pitch - has been for a number of years and is thus, to all intents and purposes, a tourer shaped static.  It is permanently occupying a pitch with an electricity supply.

The caravan is plugged into a 13A socket, and the plug is removed when he leaves site. I can't understand how the usage is metered, and it sounds like the plug socket could be used by others on site.

Unusual set up. I wonder what the site operator's electricity accounting system looks like?

Ern

19 minutes ago, Ern said:

I can't understand how the usage is metered,

Meters in the site office?  Meters on bollards?    

The OP didn’t appear to take issue with the energy consumption aspect of the new arrangement.  He simply queried the application of a daily standing charging.  Any suggestion that others are stealing electricity or the site operator is not accounting for electricity purchase and resale properly is nothing more than uninformed speculation.

14 minutes ago, ReggiePerrin said:

Meters in the site office?  Meters on bollards?    

The OP didn’t appear to take issue with the energy consumption aspect of the new arrangement.  He simply queried the application of a daily standing charging.  Any suggestion that others are stealing electricity or the site operator is not accounting for electricity purchase and resale properly is nothing more than uninformed speculation.

Goodness me! :rolleyes:

Ern

The OP asked two (quite reasonable) questions.

1 - can they do this?

2 - Has anyone come across this before?

Seems that for question 2, the answer -so far - is no, nobody has come across this before (although some well informed guesses have been made).

For questions 1 - the first stage should surely be to go back to the park owner and ask for clarification on the (very vague) answer, "what is this charge specifically for?" - i .e, is it the electricity co quarterly standing charge split between all pitches, or is it an infrastructure charge?

A more explanatory answer may turn out to be quite satisfactory - or it may mean studying the contract and deciding whether or not to challenge the payment (and take the risk of being asked to vacate) or decide that it is worthwhile paying.

Hopefully, the OP will get more information and then come back and tell us, so the next person with a similar problem will know what questions they need to ask.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Ern said:

The caravan is plugged into a 13A socket, and the plug is removed when he leaves site.

There is no indication of what the site supply current is and you seem to have made an assumption that connection is via a domestic 13A plug and socket. The OP simply says it is "connected by the standard 3 pin plug" and on a touring caravan the standard is the (blue) industrial 3 pin plug fitted to an EHU lead for up to 16A. Without more information we can only guess that in common with touring caravan sites, each pitch has it's own supply bollard which is now metered with a standing charge being applied.

Edited by Legal Eagle

5 hours ago, Griff said:

How much is the daily charge out of interest?

We haven't had an answer to this question and it would be helpful to know what the site is trying to achieve i.e. claiming back the increased daily charge they have to pay and if it is only levied when the OP is at the site (Ha Ha!) or adding a premium or ?

But, as stated, first check the contract to see what they are allowed to do within that then decide if you want to continue?