Battery Warning Message?

Message added by CT Advertising,

The last couple of times we’ve been to get our new VIP 575 out of storage there has been a message on the control panel with words to the effect that the battery may be overcharging and to contact the dealer as it could damage the battery?

The van has a factory-fitted 100 watt solar panel.

I assume this isn’t normal, or is it???

If you have a solar controller, then it's job is to prevent the battery from getting overcharged. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

15 minutes ago, WispMan said:

If you have a solar controller, then it's job is to prevent the battery from getting overcharged. 

Yes it does, and from the green lights showing it appears to be working and charging ok.

I get the same warning when using my 80watt solar panel. I have chosen to ignore it. I think that the panel is being overly cautious.

The solar panel controller is designed to keep the battery appropriately charged.

Lunar Clubman SB

Mazda CX5 Sport AWD 175 bhp

I think the factory fit one on mine is 100 watts.

I think you may be right but I will check with dealer tomorrow to be on the safe side anyway.

I have the same van as you had that message for a few years now never been a problem 

8 minutes ago, Mike89000 said:

I have the same van as you had that message for a few years now never been a problem 

That’s good to know Mike, I’m sure it’s fine.

I'll say straight away that I'm operating with 4 year old memories here!

I didn't have solar charge warnings but, did get warnings of overcharge when connected to the car.  I took the van to the dealer and whilst fault finding both my car (which I know delivers about 15v at the connector) and the dealers pickup (about 14v) triggered the warning. The dealer spoke to sargeant? and the limits can be altered.

In the meantime I found out (I think from the manual) how to suppress the warning and then forgot about having the limits changed. The same battery is still on the van and working well.

It's worth talking to the dealer because you're probably not the first to experience this.

Jaguar XF-S Sportbrake (2018) towing Coachman VIP575 (2018).

Yes you can turn the overcharge (and undercharge) warnings off at the control panel but I think they need to be there.

Thanks for the instructions. I think that I will live with the warning given the way that the engineer instructions are accessed!

I remember that my Lunar Delta often showed 14.4 volts when charging the battery with no apparent issues

Lunar Clubman SB

Posted (edited)

The dealer has got back to me today with the following possible solution;

Seattle Setting Control Panel.pdf

I’ve checked it today and it’s already set on 14.8 volts.

Edited by Baker69

• 2 weeks later...

As the Seattle Control Panel settings modification didn’t work the dealer has requested that we get the van back to them in order for them to investigate the issue further, so they are taking the battery overcharge message seriously.

The error message occurs all the while if the van is not sited and not running on mains electrics. I visited the van (in storage) today and as soon as I turned the Seattle panel on the error message came up right away.

Under the front seat on the solar panel control box there is a constant green light which states on the unit that the solar panel is charging plus a slow flashing green light which is to say that the battery is full.

I’m not sure what they can actually do to rectify the problem, perhaps they may try swapping out the solar panel control box to a different one?

Anyway, the van is booked in for next week so let’s see what happens!

Ask the dealer to check the battery too.   It's just possible that the control unit is picking up on a battery issue.

On 09/06/2022 at 00:01, CJ1149 said:

Ask the dealer to check the battery too.   It's just possible that the control unit is picking up on a battery issue.

Will do, thank you for the advice.

I was always under the impression that when the battery voltage is 14.4 volts it is gassing. The controller should then allow the battery to return to 13.8 volts to continue charging.

If the battery is disconnected  for a period of about an hour it should settle at 12.5  volts which shows battery is fully charged.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

There is a good article here

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/caravans/articles/practical-advice/caring-for-and-charging-your-leisure-battery

Basically fully charged is 12.8 volts or greater and chargers work at up to 14.4 volts.

Lunar Clubman SB

Posted (edited)

The dealer has now had the van back and has confirmed that there are no faults with the solar panel/control panel and there is no over-charging of the battery.

They explained that the solar panel was factory fitted by Coachman and by default they wire it through the Seattle control panel. The dealer recommended that when they fit solar panels they connect them directly to the battery (via the solar panel control unit under the front seat) bypassing the Seattle control panel, so that is what they have done.

They gave me the option to leave things as they were, as long as I didn’t mind the message coming up on every trip, but I decided on the latter solution.

Hopefully everything is all ok now! 

Edited by Baker69

Thanks for the update.

Lunar Clubman SB