New grey water filter system

myone

Hi has anybody tried this new grey water filter system what puts the water back into the ground after filtering and how are the sites reacting to it looks like a good idea saving trips to empty grey waste

Interesting question. I saw an advert for it recently. I thought that the filter looks rather small.

I think that in Europe no one would bat an eyelid as it’s quite normal to empty grey waste into the hedgerows etc.

I can also see a club site warden being apoplectic if you were to use it.

I’ll hold off for a bit before buying one.

Yes these were my thoughts as well

:Plus1: with comments above. Sites in hot climes are usually quite happy for grey waste to be used to water hedges and flower beds etc. I think it unlikely this device would be welcomed on most sites in this country and certainly not the club sites. I don't expect to be seeing it in use any time soon.

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

Despite it being in the CMC magazine, the club will not allow its use on sites!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

I was on a CL site in April - a farm -  and they suggested dumping the grey water into the hedgerow, I wasn't too happy   as I wouldn't like to turn up to a site and find rotting carrots and peas ( other vegetables are available ) behind the van. So I dragged the grey water to the elsan disposal point

13 minutes ago, PR1 said:

Despite it being in the CMC magazine, the club will not allow its use on sites!

My thoughts exactly. While it could be a good weight/space saving item, I would still need to carry the wastemaster just in case.

lots of places we go to say put grey waste in long grass in hedges . I can’t see how you get carrots and veg in it we put this stuff in black land fill bin in a pedal bin bag 

1 minute ago, IAN2880 said:

I was on a CL site in April - a farm -  and they suggested dumping the grey water into the hedgerow, I wasn't too happy   as I wouldn't like to turn up to a site and find rotting carrots and peas ( other vegetables are available ) behind the van. So I dragged the grey water to the elsan disposal point

Dumping grey waste into the ground is very commonplace in Europe.

This system has a filter to catch the food waste. Just unsure as to it’s acceptance in this country due to replies like yours 😀

5 minutes ago, Blackrat 51 said:

Dumping grey waste into the ground is very commonplace in Europe.

This system has a filter to catch the food waste. Just unsure as to it’s acceptance in this country due to replies like yours 😀

All the CLs we use in the uk tell us to water the hedgerow with our grey waste! On the present one, which we use regularly we water the magnolia with our grey waste!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

Just now, richard perrins said:

lots of places we go to say put grey waste in long grass in hedges . I can’t see how you get carrots and veg in it we put this stuff in black land fill bin in a pedal bin bag 

🤣 I can’t imagine how big the sink waste must be to allow carrots, peas and 'other vegetables’ to drain out of the sink… ooh look, a there’s a cauliflower, two savoy cabbages and a jacket potato in the hedgerow… 😂

If the landowner is happy to allow grey waste to nourish his hedgerow and its wildlife then why not.  If it caused problems for the hedgerow or his customers, I'm sure he'd not permit such grey waste disposal.

8 minutes ago, PR1 said:

All the CLs we use in the uk tell us to water the hedgerow with our grey waste! On the present one, which we use regularly we water the magnolia with our grey waste!

Absolutely correct.  Causes no harm whatsoever and, as stated commonplace all over Europe.

I didn't say big whole carrots or peas , but small pieces  of food waste in general which get  past the the coarse filter in the sink waste.!

I’ll buy a pint for the first person to try it out on a CMC site!

Posted (edited)

I’m showing my age now, but I can remember when sites here in the uk expected you to tip your grey waste in the hedgerows, that was before your waste masters where invented. All we had was a bucket as a grey waste collector, then came the plastic corrugated tube that you would buy in a length and stick in the hedge, that really made things easy providing you wasn’t pitched up hill.

Edited by Wobbleboxnobby

To save water in droughts they recomend using bath and sink waste to water gardens 

12 hours ago, PR1 said:

This is what we find too - so usually it's a case of just putting a pipe to the hedge.  Must admit it's a real chore to have to empty the waste tank in a dedicated place when we stay on other sites - yet another reason to avoid overpriced club sites!

12 hours ago, IAN2880 said:

Many small sites rely on a cesspit for toilet waste. If grey water was put down there as well it would soon fill up causing the owner extra expense.

It is normal practice at steam rallies to turn your waste pipe underneath the caravan to the centre and just let it go.

we have never had any flooding issue in the awning.

In 'as used' quantities the flow is not great and soaks in quickly. If you used a wastemaster and then emptied it you would have too much at once.

Continental sites can be a problem as they mainly don't cater for grey waste or if they do it means carrying it miles to the motorhome station. We always try to get a pitch with a hedge to loose the water in.

When we started caravanning back in 1978 we used to make a "Bomb" made from a piece of 4" soil pipe with access caps  screw ends  and  a 3/3" overflow connector for the  waste pipe to connect to. holes drilled in the pipe, stuffed with grass to filter out large particles . We used this for years on rally sites. Never used on on a club site as we try not to use them 

Range Rover Swift Conqueror 565

Posted (edited)

We have always wiped plates and cooking utensils with paper towel before washing .

This simple act reduces water use and means the grey container has less particulates, staying fresher, longer, irrespective whether it’s contents are destined for the hedgerow or the drain.

Edited by ericfield

1 hour ago, welshtaffy said:

When we started caravanning back in 1978 we used to make a "Bomb" made from a piece of 4" soil pipe with access caps  screw ends  and  a 3/3" overflow connector for the  waste pipe to connect to. holes drilled in the pipe, stuffed with grass to filter out large particles . We used this for years on rally sites. Never used on on a club site as we try not to use them 

We  have used the same grass-filter principle in the early days when staying in small farm fields and discharging filtered waste water into a hedgerow but would never do the same on a CL/CS, club or commercial site, unless specifically instructed to. In the past I have been offered pitches where the previous occupant has discharged their kitchen water directly on the pitch - to find all sorts of unsavoury rubbish on show. This is not a pretty sight, and not a practice I can condone where new visitors can be expected to used the same patch of ground, sometimes just hours after being vacated by others.

Personally I've never had an issue with taking waste to a central point, whether grey / black water or dry waste, providing an appropriate location has been indicated. Let's face it, if we're expected to collect fresh water from a distant tap, then it should be no harder to take the waste water to a defined disposal point at the same time. the obvious exception to this being the use of a "super-pitch" where often a drain point is provided in addition to a fresh water tap.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

13 minutes ago, Gordon said:

Personally I've never had an issue with taking waste to a central point, whether grey / black water or dry waste, providing an appropriate location has been indicated. Let's face it, if we're expected to collect fresh water from a distant tap, then it should be no harder to take the waste water to a defined disposal point at the same time. the obvious exception to this being the use of a "super-pitch" where often a drain point is provided in addition to a fresh water tap.

:Plus1: My toilet cassette fits on the wastemaster  so  takes the weight off carrying it .  I like the idea of the filter though for CL sites, just need a longer hose to put in the hedgerow  .