Caravan Identification

Carl1980

Hello,

I've just joined this forum in the hope of learning about owning a caravan as me and my partner have just purchased an old fixer job.

First issue I have is id like to be able to obtain a manual, however I've no idea what the make or year is. I've search pages of google images to find the one but all the ones that come close have the fridge on the wrong side etc.

I know theres meant to be a badge next to the door with the numbers etc, on it but its worn to just a silver patch.

I've attached some photos. Thank yoularge.DSC_9686.JPG.33c03b8ac44664c9fca6dae2330646d8.JPGlarge.DSC_9687.JPG.a11ee5c21c5b325360dfbb32e876025b.JPGlarge.DSC_9688.JPG.e1ff562fd38a87e5629a79b85fe78408.JPGlarge.DSC_9689.JPG.88e0540cd4041609310b23eb7f333c39.JPG

looks like a 1980 Eccles Amethyst.

Perhaps not a 1980 model, the windows are different.

I thought it was an 80s model, but all the pictures I found on Google have the fridge on the other side.

So I'm really confused. Thanks for replying though 

Most Amethyst models do look to have the fridge on the nearside and I do wonder if it is another model within the range and someone has written Amethyst when it should have another name there.  Can you confirm what the layout is as that may help. 

I'm no expert on Eccles caravans but I do recall there being a raised plastic profile around the single front window in the 1970s, and I believe the single front window was still being used into the 1980s. My guess is that a large Eccles gas locker may have been mounted on another caravan.

image.png

This more the kind of shape I associate with a 1980s Eccles. Maybe an Eccles expert will come along soon to advise us all.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

7 hours ago, Wildwood said:

Most Amethyst models do look to have the fridge on the nearside and I do wonder if it is another model within the range and someone has written Amethyst when it should have another name there.  Can you confirm what the layout is as that may help. 

large.DSC_9690.JPG.4333c69eb094b6af8a3405db423b1820.JPGi just took this photo from the front window.

Looking at the photo I think it might be a Ruby.

8 hours ago, Wildwood said:

Looking at the photo I think it might be a Ruby.

Is that still an Eccles ruby, or is ruby made by another manufacturer? Also is there anywhere else on the frame appart from the front a frame where the vin number could he stamped.

Thank you.

The Eccles brand used various gems names and it did include Ruby. 

1 hour ago, Wildwood said:

The Eccles brand used various gems names and it did include Ruby. 

Is Eccles owned by the swift group, I wondered if it's worth getting in touch with them?

1 hour ago, Carl1980 said:

Is Eccles owned by the swift group, I wondered if it's worth getting in touch with them?

Eccles have a long history.   The company started after the first world war when the son returned from France having worked with army trailers.   The were a company noted for quality caravans.   By the 1960's Sam Alper bought the company and together with Sprite which he already owned, Sam formed Caravans International.   Bluebird and Fairholme later joined the group.      By the mid 70's Caravans International had expanded into several other countries but by the 80's they were over-extended and in financial trouble.   Along came a recession and they went into liquidation.   Swift later bought the names.    It's doubtful if they have any previous build records.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

I agree it is unlikely they have the records going back as far as is needed here. Other than for trying to identify the precise model to satisfy the desire to get it right, I doubt it makes any difference to anything else. 

I just wanted the manual so I could know how things worked etc. I've found the manual for the fridge, so all good there, but it's the towing weights and nose weight I was interested in. I think I've managed to work out the wiring just goto test the fridge on 12v supply from my car to see if it works, but apparently the fridge will draw 8amps so if I switch it on with the ignition on but engine off, I should notice the current draw.

And I also need to replace one of the corner steadies as its bent, but there's different sizes etc.

Thanks for the information, makes interesting reading.

Caravans usually have a relay to ensure the fridge only works off tge 12v supply when the tow cars engine is running and the alternator providing power. Otherwise the battery will be flattened in no time.

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/05/2022 at 19:21, Carl1980 said:

I just wanted the manual so I could know how things worked etc. I've found the manual for the fridge, so all good there, but it's the towing weights and nose weight I was interested in. I think I've managed to work out the wiring just goto test the fridge on 12v supply from my car to see if it works, but apparently the fridge will draw 8amps so if I switch it on with the ignition on but engine off, I should notice the current draw.

And I also need to replace one of the corner steadies as its bent, but there's different sizes etc.

Thanks for the information, makes interesting reading.

I think the weights you are looking for may be in your 1st pic..........Any German(?) translators here.......?

The two weights are from and to so presumably the chassis maximum weight is 1300 kg, which should be the MTPLM in current thinking.

I found a website that says my car is a good tow car, and the nose weight should be 70kg so going to find a old set of analogue bathroom scales.

3 hours ago, Carl1980 said:

I found a website that says my car is a good tow car, and the nose weight should be 70kg so going to find a old set of analogue bathroom scales.

Remember that a noseweight limit is a maximum, it's not necessarily the figure you tow at. 

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

I was just going to use it as a guide, something to work to as before I was clueless. I've towed plenty of caravans before but its always been other people paying me to move there van as they had no tow bar etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I found this plate under the front of the van. The printed bits are worn off, but there was stamped numbers and and a name on it, so i rubbed it and took a photo.large.889309891_DSC_97272.JPG.7f1b6132cfa998eac593df1372a826d9.JPG

Eccles Amethyst CK possibly 70's

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

I think it is the wrong layout for the Amethyst, and is probably a Ruby. The word Amethyst does look to have been added later and does not look like the original style. 

I found online an old brochure for the Eccles amethyst including the CK verient, the only difference in the layout is the fridge being in the other side, everything else is the same appart from I have 3 windows on the front and they have 1. 

It's stamped on the plate I found, so unless someone has stamped the wrong info on the plate it has to be a Eccles amethyst. I would say either late 80s or early 90s as I've been in contact with swift and they only have records from 1996.

The Eccles brand was bought by Swift in the 1990's, so I think any factual information from Swift would not be available.