Truma Ultraheat 3002 Fan Faulty.

Hi folks. The fan on the heater no longer runs. Checked motor is fine. Checked the twin wire loom connector wires (Brown & White) going into the rear of motor/fan housing unit. No DC ie no 12/13v. Tried to trace where the wires are fed from, ie the control unit under seat, but no joy. All fuses are OK.  Cannot find any wiring diagram in manual or internet.

Anyone any idea where the other end of this twin wire loom picks up the 12v ?   (The only place I have not looked, yet, is behind the high built in radio enclosure.  Surely not I think. Still to look.) Three days into this and getting nowhere !!

BTW the white wire shows continuity to chassis / common earth.

Any guidance or wiring info would be gratefully appreciated.

Very cold and wet on the Isle of Skye...............

DaveMac

For the guidance of others who may want to help with this query, according to his profile the OP has an '06 Bailey Senator Indiana. That will, at least mean the unit was factory fit and not DIY retro-fit. 

There's a Senator wiring diagram on the Bailey website which is 2009 and there's a strong possibility that it would be the same for '06, but whilst I can spot the 'Fire', there's no sign of a fan unit. The other Bailey models of the same era have the same set up on their diagrams. The supply to the fire must be 240V, so if the fan is 12V you'd expect a separate wiring circuit to it. I do know that you can have both 12V and 240V fans for such installations. Could it be that its not 12V and as 240V the wiring diagram doesn't show it as a separate unit to the fire?  In which case, if the unit's electric heating elements are working then the fault has to be in the unit somewhere where the supply runs to the fan from the main cable coming into the unit.

I may be completely wrong as I'm no electrician and my earliest Bailey was a 2012 with a Combi heater/boiler.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

Have you checked the pcb for any obvious damage?   Quite a few years ago when my fan unit failed, one of the terminals had overheated on the control board.     Replacements are available.

P1050048.JPG.9119165fad2a29174e7e26bef9d97032.JPG

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Thanks for that Andy. Your summary of my caravan is correct. The fan fitted on my Truma Ulltraheat is definitely a 12v item and indeed was factory fitted. Several years ago I did change the motor with a one for one replacement. (Brushes were worn down.  Fairly straight forward, although a pain to get at !)

Can you give me some guidance on how to find the wiring diagram you mention ? I've had no success with my i/net searches. 

DaveMac

Hi Jaydug. Nothing wrong with my PCB. The problem is the 12v feed to this board is not there.

DaveMac

BTW the fire works just fine on both gas and mains 240v on hook-up.

21 minutes ago, DaveMac said:

Thanks for that Andy. Your summary of my caravan is correct. The fan fitted on my Truma Ulltraheat is definitely a 12v item and indeed was factory fitted. Several years ago I did change the motor with a one for one replacement. (Brushes were worn down.  Fairly straight forward, although a pain to get at !)

Can you give me some guidance on how to find the wiring diagram you mention ? I've had no success with my i/net searches. 

DaveMac

Hi Jaydug. Nothing wrong with my PCB. The problem is the 12v feed to this board is not there.

DaveMac

BTW the fire works just fine on both gas and mains 240v on hook-up.

Here's the link https://www.baileyofbristol.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/2009-2010-Service-Handbook-Ranger-Ranger-GT60-Pageant-Senator.pdf

HTH

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

Thanks Andy. Link worked fine. However the quality of diagrams is really poor. Does seem to show the two 12v feed wires for fan, but impossible to find location of the other end of the wires from diagrams!

I have rigged up a temp 12v supply to fan control box at rear of fire. Works 100%, both on fixed speed and auto setting from controls on top of heater panel.

So, back to my original problem. Where in van does this supply pick up 12v ??

I suspect that I am on my own on this one. I wonder if a call to Bailey would be worth while ? With the van now 16yrs old, I suspect they will not be of much help.

Ok Will carry on digging.

Will give forum feedback on any progress, but I am already thinking that the only cure for this is to run new wires somehow to a  known 12v point  somewhere in the van, but this will not be easy.......

Many thanks for all help received.

Regards DaveMac

(Still cold and wet in Skye !!!!)

A stab in the dark, but is every  thing 12v in the van working OK, even things you may never use such as the old style TV socket, cig lighter  / accessory socket ?

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

Hi Andy. Just checked. Good call. Yes the 12v outlet for TV is live, ie OK.

However you have pointed me to a good pick-off point for a 12v if I do decide to run another supply for the fan. (A lot closer to the Truma Ultraheat, than any other points I was contemplating.)

Many thanks.

DaveMac

Just to be clear, the existing fan 12v wires disappear, along with other cables, down under the floor, go under the door entrance, and appear to come up again into the van, near to the main control/fuse unit.

This seems sensible, but I have totally failed to find these wire anywhere near this main unit.......

DaveMac

All other 12v items and outlets etc are OK.

DaveMac

41 minutes ago, DaveMac said:

Hi Andy & Silversurf. Just checked. Good call. Yes the 12v outlet for TV is live, ie OK.

However you have pointed me to a good pick-off point for a 12v if I do decide to run another supply for the fan. (A lot closer to the Truma Ultraheat, than any other points I was contemplating.)

Many thanks.

DaveMac

Just to be clear, the existing fan 12v wires disappear, along with other cables, down under the floor, go under the door entrance, and appear to come up again into the van, near to the main control/fuse unit.

This seems sensible, but I have totally failed to find these wire anywhere near this main unit.......

DaveMac

All other 12v items and outlets etc are OK.

DaveMac

1 hour ago, DaveMac said:

Hi folks. Problem solved !!!!!!!!

Found wire to main fuse box disconnected. (The fuse marked "FIRE"  5A of course !)

Must have dislodged this when removing stuff from under the NS Front seat.......,..

Many, many thanks for all who took time to help.

Regards & stay safe to all.

DaveMac

(Still wet & cold in Skye, but now toastie in caravan !!!!)

Just shows you. Look for the simple fault first, although lack of information from Bailey docs did not help...

Cheers

DaveMac

Just as a tip for others. A wiring diagram is only a stylised diagram , it does not show the physical  location or routing of any of the wiring! 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.