Jump to content

Dash cams


myone
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi does anybody know the situation with Dash cams in Portugal a friend tells me it is illegal to use  or own one in PORTUGAL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

That is my understanding, too. according to the information that I have, they are illegal in Belgium, Luxembourg, Portugal and Switzerland. Their use in Austria is very limited because they may not be used as evidence in court if they include any data whereby persons or vehicle number plates can be identified. In Germany they must be disabled when the vehicle is on other person's private property, such as when the vehicle is at the dealer for servicing.

Edited by Lutz
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is this due to some privacy issue or something else?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Lagerorwine said:

Is this due to some privacy issue or something else?

 

Yes, always.

In France, in the event of an accident where the recording may be used as evidence, every identifiable person must be in agreement with their images being taken.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another barmy example of justice being loaded against the victim  

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Lutz said:

That is my understanding, too. according to the information that I have, they are illegal in Belgium, Luxembourg, Portugal and Switzerland. Their use in Austria is very limited because they may not be used as evidence in court if they include any data whereby persons or vehicle number plates can be identified. In Germany they must be disabled when the vehicle is on other person's private property, such as when the vehicle is at the dealer for servicing.

Crikey, EU countries making their own rules, who knew ? ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A complete lack of common sense in those countries where justice is being prevented by privacy laws that are not needed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I believe  we are one of the most spied on countries with an awful lot of CCTV. 

Probably good to help catch criminals but very good at enforcing congestion charges and tolls!

 

Hyundai Santa Fe+Bailey Unicorn Cadiz

Mini Cooper convertible -fun Car!:)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, Wildwood said:

A complete lack of common sense in those countries where justice is being prevented by privacy laws that are not needed.

 

In many countries privacy protection is enshrined in their constitution and takes precedence over anything else. It took years and several attempts of going through the constitutional court to get  dashcams allowed in Germany and even then only with certain restrictions.

Apart from the examples mentioned above, even Hungary, not noted for its liberal standing, doesn't allow dashcams with high enough resolution that would permit the recorded material to be used as unequivocal evidence in court. Besides, the recordings must be erased within 5 days. A similar restriction applies in Sweden.

Edited by Lutz
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I appreciate that but to me it is letting this over ride justice. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Wildwood said:

I appreciate that but to me it is letting this over ride justice. 

 

It's not really overriding justice. One just has to employ other methods to bring the perpetrator to justice.

Edited by Lutz
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Wildwood said:

I appreciate that but to me it is letting this over ride justice. 

 

Thankfully providing we are on the right side of the law here in the UK Wildwood it works very well for us.

 Living the dream, well more of a nightmare ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Discovery 4 Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree with the principle of protecting the privacy of individuals however when they are in a public place where anybody can see and identify them anyway, I fail to see the problem. I also have no issue with a dashcam being employed - particularly where it can indicate who did what in the event of a road accident. I understand the requirement in Germany to turn off a dashcam when a vehicle is being serviced on private land, as Lutz has highlighted.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My dashcam saved me my NCD and policy excess last year when a readymix concrete lorry decided to occupy the lane on a roundabout that I was already making use of! Without my dashcam footage it would have just been my word against his!  

 

Dashcam £90 policy excess £350, future premium increase £???

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyone know about using dash cams in France? Or Spain? 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

06942AFD-6C58-4B4F-9435-6EEC58BC6089.jpeg.cb1e16e07deaeb9224451bbbc3f116ff.jpeg

 Living the dream, well more of a nightmare ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Discovery 4 Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, WispMan said:

Anyone know about using dash cams in France? Or Spain? 


I mentioned the restriction in France in an earlier post. There don’t appear to be any restrictions in Spain.

The privacy issue is mainly to protect those who appear in the footage but are not directly involved in the incident for which the recording is to be used as evidence. It is not intended to protect the guilty party.

Edited by Lutz
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Griff said:

06942AFD-6C58-4B4F-9435-6EEC58BC6089.jpeg.cb1e16e07deaeb9224451bbbc3f116ff.jpeg

 

 

I'm surprised the Russian box didn't require all Dashcam users to upload their dashcam weekly to Youtube.

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

My dashcam saved me my NCD and policy excess last year when a readymix concrete lorry decided to occupy the lane on a roundabout that I was already making use of! Without my dashcam footage it would have just been my word against his!  

 

Dashcam £90 policy excess £350, future premium increase £???

Did you also post  that your car was once hit when parked up with you sat inside but still had issues with your insurance claim , or was it someone else on the forum?

Edited by gtepete
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 21/05/2022 at 17:44, myone said:

Hi does anybody know the situation with Dash cams in Portugal a friend tells me it is illegal to use  or own one in PORTUGAL

 

Having experienced the standard of Portuguese driving recently, I think banning dashcams is probably a very sensible precaution on their part. Otherwise their police force would have literally no time to deal with anything else 😂

 

In fairness, I think our attitude to privacy should be a little bit more in favour of privacy. Using a recording as evidence after an accident should be acceptable. I'm not sure every person who fails to give way to someone else failing to use a round about properly needs to be uploaded to the internet for example.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, gtepete said:

Did you also post  that your car was once hit when parked up with you sat inside but still had issues with your insurance claim , or was it someone else on the forum?

 

Not me Guv :unsure: 

 

Mine swiches off when I turn the ignition off. 

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

 

Not me Guv :unsure: 

 

Mine swiches off when I turn the ignition off. 

Wasn't me either. However, mine are powered through a little box which can be set to stay on for a preset period (6,12 or 24 hours, from memory) so when you leave the car in the supermarket car park, you can see who runs into you!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

At a junction I knocked an old lady off her bike. However, later, the dash cam shows I was stationary and that she rode into the side of my car. I told her I may claim for damage. Suddenly I never heard back from her. Mine is a cheapo £30 but has GPS so shows my speed. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...