Isabella Cirrus North Door Height

Hi all,

Went to look at a Cirrus North awning and nearly bought one until Mrs YG tried to unzip the door! She couldn't reach the top of the door to move the zip around it to open it. She is 5'2'' and I'm 5'5''. I could ONLY just manage it on tip toe. Really awkward for me. So it seems to be a none starter. Has anyone over come this having discovered this problem?

Cheers 

Posted (edited)

We have a pair of  plastic steps to stand on when fitting of our full awning. Can't you do the same? 

Edited by gtepete

Thanks for this gtepete. I understand. The problem here is actually entering and exiting the awning on a regular basis. We (and many others I guess) cannot fully open the door standing on the floor. Yes standing on the door step helps exiting from that side of the awning on the inside but entering from the outside from both sides seems difficult for me and impossible for my wife. Not what you want from a 2K awning. Have Isabella identified this I wonder?

We have one, I’m 6’ 1” and my wife 4’ 11” and we don’t have a problem. I don’t think it’s any more difficult/higher than other awnings of a traditional design. Over the years that shape of awning has changed and some other designs are easier to use the door. Unzipping the doors to use as access is easy but unzipping fully does require me to do it!

They ARE an excellent awning but (as with others) the quality does come with a heavy weight tag. Yes, they are expensive but after having a cheaper Kampa which was awful, we see it as a good investment. We also have the annexe which is useful for longer stays but fiddly to attach.2A8C027D-9BA8-40DD-9C35-4DF11B40F37B.jpeg.00adf560d30609c202137433381be9dc.jpeg

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Hello Gary, We appreciate your prompt reply. My wife REALLY wants the Cirrus 400. As you say, if the door needs to be opened fully then its a job for you. In the dealers I played around with a bit of chord (a la Kampa) threaded into the zip tag  but the laws of  physics still seem to prevent short people fully opening the door. I even toyed with fabricating (four) rigid zip extensions but this idea seemed rather naff on reflection. We have a 35 kilo dog which has a habit of breaking out and we need to exit quickly. Any solutions are really appreciated before I go and buy a Kampa today!

Are you “overthinking” it? To get out we just open the door to the height either of us can reach ie. Unzip one side to reach height. If you need to unzip it fully quickly you might struggle. Would using one of the front doors rather than the end ones be easier as their slope is shallower? We often use those instead of the end ones as they can be opened wider before you have to reach too high (if that makes sense?).

Posted (edited)

What about this idea...on my wet suit (zip to the rear) I have a lanyard attached  to  the  hole in the zip tag which I pull to zip up or down...would this work? but to be honest we only open the door just enough to get in and out.....

Edited by gtepete

Thanks for this. Tried this in  the dealers with the bit of chord. To move the zip in either direction it needs to be pulled horizontally on the top of the door. Cos we are both short the chord is below the zip so we couldn't pull it in either direction. The only way was to reach to physically grab the tab on the zip in order to pull it. Really frustrating. Mrs YG is gutted about spotting the design issue for short people.

Doesn't it open from the bottom up?

51 minutes ago, GaryB1969 said:

Are you “overthinking” it? To get out we just open the door to the height either of us can reach ie. Unzip one side to reach height. If you need to unzip it fully quickly you might struggle. Would using one of the front doors rather than the end ones be easier as their slope is shallower? We often use those instead of the end ones as they can be opened wider before you have to reach too high (if that makes sense?).

10 minutes ago, madasaman said:

Doesn't it open from the bottom up?

We also have the same awning and agree with comments above.

We unzip from the ground up and not all the way, just enough to get in and out (with the dog too).

We use the caravan step when pulling the awning along the rail when putting up / taking down.

I do find the heavy duty zips quite stiff (and noisier especially at night),  but as Gary says, it’s of excellent quality generally.

Towing: 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Tow Car: 2020 BMW X3 M40i

We have a Minor with a side door and a Magnum 400.

We always unzip the front top down to the corner to get in and out on both, obviously lowest point. 

Living the dream, well more of a nightmare ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Discovery 4 Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

As others have said, why would you need to unzip it as far up as the upper zip, surely just unzipping to arms reach, your height + approx, 16 inches, elbow to hand would give a sufficient opening ?

I have always used the front doors, the front is lower and opened them from the bottom.

Have you previously had an awning and how did you go on with that ?

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

Broom stick with small hook in the end? we use one to help pull our awning along the rail.....but like others, we open zip from floor level up wards....

We have a Cirrus which we are very impressed with, ie no leaks! However the doors are rather "form over function" , we are both tall enough to unzip it right over but tend to just open it up to our height. 

For those unfamiliar with this awning, this photo of a friends Cirrus awning shows the height clearly. As said previously, we don’t find it an issue but the height does seem excessive compared to others.

6EA97594-4F0D-438E-88B1-8D67C64191C8.jpeg.d533ed6999a4acecffc0189158cb05e5.jpeg

13 minutes ago, GaryB1969 said:

For those unfamiliar with this awning, this photo of a friends Cirrus awning shows the height clearly. As said previously, we don’t find it an issue but the height does seem excessive compared to others.

6EA97594-4F0D-438E-88B1-8D67C64191C8.jpeg.d533ed6999a4acecffc0189158cb05e5.jpeg

Brown sauce on mine please.............whatever you are cooking :P:D:P

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

We are still pondering but it looks like being the Revo Zip for short stay touring. Still looking for a workaround!

Just use the opposite end from the caravan, much shorter in height :) we tend to have the bin between the steps and awning thus stopping us using this end as the door.