Dometic RM 7651L Fridge

Our Dometic RM 7651L Fridge doesn't seem to work on gas, was ok last year.  Have not tried it on mains yet. It auto lights & you can feel heat from the vent outside but the fridge doesn't get cold. Any ideas ?

There are several threads ( well quite a lot  actually) try searching  the forum for them.

The most common problem of absorption  fridges  appears to be 'blockages', whereas I think its more migration of water within the cooling system.

Absorption fridges use a mixture of ammonia, water and hydrogen within the sealed cooling system.

The remedy is rather bizarre at first glance,  turn the whole fridge upside down for 24 hours!!!.

This appears to clear the 'blockage' ( allows the water to return to the lower reservoir).

I didn't believe it at first but several posters have done this, as well as caravan service engineers.

My friend had a similar problem and before bringing to me to check out for blocked gas nozzles, faulty thermocouple s and faulty gas valves , he did this and when I got the fridge  and thoroughly checked it over  , it worked on all three systems mains , gas and 12V .

If you are unsure t undertake the work yourself,  contact a caravan service centre to undertake the repair  or  the Mobile caravan Engineers association (MCEA)  on their website to find a mobile engineer near you.

Thanks for the reply, had read something about this, I'll give it a go at the weekend.  Will post results !

Had fridge upside down for 24h, still not getting cold . It lights, no problem,  just doesn't get cold.  Will leave overnight & check tomorrow. The model is RM 7401L not 7651 as originally stated. 

51 minutes ago, chevykev said:

Had fridge upside down for 24h, still not getting cold . It lights, no problem,  just doesn't get cold.  Will leave overnight & check tomorrow. The model is RM 7401L not 7651 as originally stated. 

Not being funny but have you thought about trying it on mains?

From the gas side it could be just not enough flame, this could be a few things, try 230v and then come back

Yes, fine on mains 

The good news is you can stop turning it upside down them. The 240v electric is just a heater which acts in the same way as the gas heater does. There is most likely an issue with the gas igniting. If I remember correctly thermocouples are a common issue.

52 minutes ago, chevykev said:

Yes, fine on mains 

Possibly a new gas  jet would cure the issue, good job Mike jumped in early to save you taking the fridge out and upturning it 😜

Posted (edited)

Will the pilot jet light with a taper when the gas is turned on and the gas valve is held open manually?    Make sure all the air has cleared from the gas pipe.

Edited by Jaydug

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

5 hours ago, Jaydug said:

Will the pilot jet light with a taper when the gas is turned on and the gas valve is held open manually?    Make sure all the air has cleared from the gas pipe.

OP said they can feel heat, this would indicate it lights and stays alight 

Think we're sorted. Took out the jet , blew it out, cleaned everything,  now working, temp getting down to

2 °/ 3°.  Gas must have been flowing enough to light but not enough to cool. Thanks for replies. 

18 hours ago, chevykev said:

Think we're sorted. Took out the jet , blew it out, cleaned everything,  now working, temp getting down to

2 °/ 3°.  Gas must have been flowing enough to light but not enough to cool. Thanks for replies. 

Well done and thanks for getting back us us , it all helps increase the collective knowledge base.

The bit were you said it got warm on gas threw us off. ,we should have asked you to try it on mains first.