Camping Riva Bella Ouistreham

Posted (edited)

For information the above campsite will no longer accept Caravan and Motorhome  Club Site Night vouchers, despite what the Caravan Club are stating. The site is no longer operated by Sesanova but is now operated by Tohapi although Caravan club are still taking bookings for this site.

Edited by deeps

That’s interesting, because we were due to stay there on 28th April, coming off the evening ferry, but we got moved to Seasonova’s sister site - Le Point du Jour - as maintenance works had overrun. As it happened, we never got to stay at either, because our aft ferry was cancelled and we ended up on the night ferry to Cherbourg lol. With hindsight, maybe Riva Bella was being spruced up for sale to Tohapi. The Club did get us a refund for the unused night, so can’t fault them. 
I don’t see why they still can’t make bookings there - they just need to state that the site night vouchers are not accepted there, if that is the case.

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

Re CMC site night vouchers-we have used them for every booking, since the demise of Camping Cheques, as they made such a difference to the price.

Sadly this is no longer the case however, still considered getting some vouchers for this year until, looking at the conditions and restrictions, decided it was not worth the hassle.

We have only had one occaision where a site refused our voucher/cheque so we simply drove away.

We have booked Riva Bella through the CMC for an overnighter before our homeward ferry. Had to pay in full several weeks before the date too.

Ern

Riva Bella are still accepting ACSI .

I was informed by the Caravan Club that as the site is listed in their brochure they are contracted to accept the vouchers. Not much use when the site manager says Non though is it. 

Posted (edited)

Am I right in thinking that you cannot use CMC vouchers to pre-book anywhere? 

Most sites require payment well in advance so it seems to me that the only time you can actually use CMC vouchers is when you turn up “on spec” and there are spaces available. Or have I got it all wrong?,

Riva Bella is still a very handy site for the ferry though. 

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Yes can't use them on advance bookings even if you book through CMC. Can't understand why as CMC already have you're cash and could take their commission and pay the site the rest.

Suppose the CMC want to keep hold of your cash as long as possible and if you didn't use the vouchers they would be quids in. 

I only purchased the vouchers for the ferry discount ,although have found a decent site in the Loire which accept them.

I suppose anther reason could be that the site receives less for a “voucher stay” than they do for a “Turn up and hope” stay.

So rather than risk a reduction in income if pre booked with vouchers they wait and see how busy they are. If full of pre booked and/or turn up and hopers then they are quids (or Euro’s in)  If not then it makes good business sense to accept a slightly lower sum (paid for by CMC voucher) than nothing.

It does seem crazy that by purchasing vouchers you can get a lower overall bill covering the  ferry crossing and at least 4 nights on a campsite (even if you don’t use the vouchers) than by just buying the ferry crossing  :blink:

Can’t see the business sense in that myself, but I am more than happy to take advantage of it.

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Could be right Mr plodd I could never work out how they could give the crossing reduction and the vouchers.

Posted (edited)

Back in 2003 we flew to Italy and spent a few days with my parents at Camping Bella Italia in Peschiera. We had been in Tuscany the year before and paid a deposit to go there again but on seeing BI accepted Camping Cheques went there instead.

We were sad to see their demise and two site owners said it was due to the delay in receiving, and the amount of, their money after people used cheques.

I wouldn’t  be surprised if it’s the same issue affecting CMC site vouchers.

Edited by Allan Guest

Think your right there as we used some camping cheques years ago in Beziers and on talking to the site owner they said that it was several months before camping cheques paid them. 

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Yes, those were the days, 12, 14 and 16 euros, 6=7 and 11=14 at some sites

Edited by Lagerorwine

21 hours ago, Lagerorwine said:

Not ACSI, but we got a “7 nights for 6” deal on one of our campsites in France recently - booked through the CMC.

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

23 hours ago, Lagerorwine said:

Exactly what we go at Bella Italia, a 21 night stay for price of 17.
With the discount we got booking a CMC combined, ITX, ferry and cheques deal what we paid was almost 50% less than if we had booked the ferry direct and paid the gate price.

As you say, those were the days!!