Carver Crystal Ultraflow Conversion?

Hi folks, we recently bought our first caravan, an old 2000 Lunar 500 I think. It has an old  Carver Crystal Mkw water inlet, so I'm told. The pump failed wihthin an hour of our first caravan trip and we had no water the whole weekend. We couldn't source a replacement. It seems the pump and expecially the filters are more or less impossible to find. I was advised that I should be able to buy an Ultraflow conversion kit for this, so that I can use an updated system with filters and pumps readily available. 

I've attached a few photos of the current water inlet housing. Does anyone know which conversion kit would work? The 2 holes at the top is where the water filter goes. It seems to have 2 inlets. If I leave the water filter unplugged, the water will just gush out of those 2 holes. At least that's what happened when the pump was working! 

Appreciate the advice. Thank you! 

20220509_203107_copy_750x1000.jpg

20220509_203045_copy_750x1000.jpg

If your pump has failed you don't really want a conversion kit like this because although it will give you the require replacement filter housing it only includes the pump trigger item to re-use your existing pump.  The way forward is to replace the existing housing with an up to date Truma item - either a 'compact housing' or a 'filter housing' depending on whether or not you want a built in filter - see Truma site here to see the housings. Additionally you will then need a new pump. The Truma item is the obvious choice but many including myself would recommend the Whale product that is compatible with Truma i.e. this

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

I replaced my Crystal 2 system on a Lunar LX 2000 525 with the Utraflow when Crystal 2 filters became unobtainable. Fortunately I had a working pump. I don't think the Ultraflow Compact is a like-for-like replacement; from memory, it's smaller than the Crystal 2, leaving holes to fill and too much faff. I ignored the supposedly better Whale replacement and stuck with the Truma system; it worked well enough for me for several years even though water duties were often delegated to clumsy teenage boys.

hawkaye :beardy:

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, KnausCol said:

If your pump has failed you don't really want a conversion kit like this because although it will give you the require replacement filter housing it only includes the pump trigger item to re-use your existing pump.  The way forward is to replace the existing housing with an up to date Truma item - either a 'compact housing' or a 'filter housing' depending on whether or not you want a built in filter - see Truma site here to see the housings. Additionally you will then need a new pump. The Truma item is the obvious choice but many including myself would recommend the Whale product that is compatible with Truma i.e. this

Thank you! I've been looking into alternatives and I've actually ordered this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008383W9W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think this is correct? The compact version although cheaper, isn't an exact match for mine. What I'm not too sure of however is which new pump to get. Is this new housing just a standar pistol type connector? Thanks for the help!

56 minutes ago, hawkaye said:

I replaced my Crystal 2 system on a Lunar LX 2000 525 with the Utraflow when Crystal 2 filters became unobtainable. Fortunately I had a working pump. I don't think the Ultraflow Compact is a like-for-like replacement; from memory, it's smaller than the Crystal 2, leaving holes to fill and too much faff. I ignored the supposedly better Whale replacement and stuck with the Truma system; it worked well enough for me for several years even though water duties were often delegated to clumsy teenage boys.

Thanks for that. I think I ordered the right one then. As you say, the compact housing seems to need some addional work which I'd rather not do. My pump is dead, so that'll need replaced too. Just not sure which one yet. I think there's only 2 choices. A Whale and a Truma Ultraflow compatible pump I think? I need to replace the whole thing. The hose is manky and the connector also has a broken clip. Thanks!

Edited by vantastico

1 hour ago, vantastico said:

My pump is dead, so that'll need replaced too. Just not sure which one yet. I think there's only 2 choices. A Whale and a Truma Ultraflow compatible pump

You are correct, Whale or Truma. 
I highly recommend the Whale pump, as it seems to perform better (subjective), but the hose between pump and pistol is far far superior to the horrible stiff offering from Truma 

1 hour ago, Lost in the wilderness said:

You are correct, Whale or Truma. 
I highly recommend the Whale pump, as it seems to perform better (subjective), but the hose between pump and pistol is far far superior to the horrible stiff offering from Truma 

Brilliant thank you. I was heavily leaning towards the Whale one having read other opinons etc, so you just confirmed it :-)

I think the flow rate is much better on the Whale pump too, but not sure how that transfers into real world application.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Whale-EP1642-Master-Easi-Press-Connection-Blue/dp/B00JRBFKH6/ref=sr_1_2?crid=KAY9SROQ76DT&keywords=truma+whale+water+pump&qid=1652294738&sprefix=truma+whale+water+pump%2Caps%2C179&sr=8-2

Does that look like the right pump? Sorry for all the questions. I'm very much a caravan noob and I'm finding all the pump connections quite confusing! Cheers!

Does that look like the right pump? Sorry for all the questions. I'm very much a caravan noob and I'm finding all the pump connections quite confusing! Cheers!

Yes that is the Whale equivalent to the Truma Ultraflow pump.

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

54 minutes ago, KnausCol said:

Yes that is the Whale equivalent to the Truma Ultraflow pump.

Great! Thank you. I'll get that ordered then :)

Hi folks,

I finally got around to fitting the housing today. Unfortunately it seems none of the screws match up to the old housing, which looks a lot smaller than the one I got. It will certainly fit in the gap alright, but looks like I will have to drill some holes.

I'm also wondering maybe the compact version is a better fit? It looks like I will also have to cut the existing wiring and fit the new spade connectors. The existing ones are the round type and they don't fit. I'm in no rush because we're not going away again until early July. 

Thanks!

Actually I've just noticed the compact kit doesn't have a water filter housing. We were going to use the water just for boiling the kettle etc, so maybe I should just keep this and make the necessary changes.

Hi folks,

I finally got around to fitting the housing today. Unfortunately it seems none of the screws match up to the old housing, which looks a lot smaller than the one I got. It will certainly fit in the gap alright, but looks like I will have to drill some holes.

I'm also wondering maybe the compact version is a better fit? It looks like I will also have to cut the existing wiring and fit the new spade connectors. The existing ones are the round type and they don't fit. I'm in no rush because we're not going away again until early July. 

Thanks!

Actually I've just noticed the compact kit doesn't have a water filter housing. We were going to use the water just for boiling the kettle etc, so maybe I should just keep this and make the necessary changes.

If the non filter fits, I would suggest to go with that. 
The filter elements are recommended to be changed at something like 30 days after first use. They are expensive anyway, and at the recommended change frequency, gets very expensive. 
I think most folks who have the filter option simply remove the filter and do without 

We don’t have a filter on our van, and use the water for tea, brushing teeth, etc. I very rarely drink plain water, but often have squash with van water. But we do regularly Puriclean our system 

11 minutes ago, Lost in the wilderness said:

The filter elements are recommended to be changed at something like 30 days after first use. They are expensive anyway, and at the recommended change frequency, gets very expensive. 
I think most folks who have the filter option simply remove the filter and do without 

We don’t have a filter on our van, and use the water for tea, brushing teeth, etc. I very rarely drink plain water, but often have squash with van water. But we do regularly Puriclean our system 

Thanks!

Yes the filters can get ridiculously expensive. They're about £15 each. I was thinking of changing it once per season rather than every 35 days though 😄 

I just used Puriclean a few weeks ago to clean out the system. So  a filter is not really necessary then? We use bottled water for drinking. Would prefer not to drink from the tap of a 22 year old van.

I can't find the measurements for the compact housing. At least if I have rhe measurements then I'll know for sure that it fits the opening. The instructions with the kit do actually say drilling is required but I guess it should be easy enough seeing as it's a wooden  frame.

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Lost in the wilderness said:

Thanks!

Yes the filters can get ridiculously expensive. They're about £15 each. I was thinking of changing it once per season rather than every 35 days though 😄 

I just used Puriclean a few weeks ago to clean out the system. So  a filter is not really necessary then? We use bottled water for drinking. Would prefer not to drink from the tap of a 22 year old van.

I can't find the measurements for the compact housing. At least if I have rhe measurements then I'll know for sure that it fits the opening. The instructions with the kit do actually say drilling is required but I guess it should be easy enough seeing as it's a wooden  frame.

Edit:

I've now installed the new housing and connected everything up. All is working well and the pressure is good. The smaller spade connector on the housing was an absolute pain. It was very, very tight and awkward to get on. There was also a leak from the water filter lid but seems OK now after re-securing it.

I'm in two minds whether to keep this or go for the compact version. I'm not totally convinced with the smaller spade connector. I had to use some force to get it on, so I guess It'll need some force to get it off again  😄 

Edited by vantastico

I decided to go ahead and keep this housing and now it's fuly fitted and working. I removed the lid intentionally so that I could put sealing around it. The lid is on now. Makes me think I should replace that Carver Cascade cover now, unless there's some way to remove and clean all those plastic vents? Mine are all a bit yellow looking which I guess is understandable for a 20+ year old van.

The new Whale pump is absolutely fantastic. I'm really pleased with it. It's so easy to clip on/off. The last one was a nightmare. It required quite a bit of force to remove it. This one is easy. The water pressure is also excellent from this pump.

I added more Puriclean to the system last night and will wash it out today, so the water system should be fully operational. I didn't put the filter in and I'm not sure if I'm going to bother to be honest. At least the option is there I guess!

Thanks for all the help with this!

20220519_165842.jpg.99ac8e3e5bfebf519f28640cbce923b8.jpg

Well done! Good to see the finished result.

I cleaned up my Cascade cover by putting it in the dishwasher. I wasn't concerned about temperature because it gets hot  from the burner. It looks as though yours has lost the top coat that makes it shiny. 

hawkaye :beardy:

44 minutes ago, hawkaye said:

Well done! Good to see the finished result.

I cleaned up my Cascade cover by putting it in the dishwasher. I wasn't concerned about temperature because it gets hot  from the burner. It looks as though yours has lost the top coat that makes it shiny. 

Dishwasher? I gotta try that :). Nothing to lose I guess! Great idea!

4 hours ago, vantastico said:

The new Whale pump is absolutely fantastic. I'm really pleased with it. It's so easy to clip on/off. The last one was a nightmare.

Get yourself a tube of food grade silicone grease to periodically lubricate the O rings. It will keep the effort of fit and removal low, which will reduce the chance of cracking the inlet point