ACSI can it be used for all pitches

I am  going to Europe 23 Aug until 11 September with  nothing planned we will make  decisions when we arrive  depending on weather etc  thinking about getting an  ACSI card but we do use premium pitches  sometimes would I get a discount 

As far as i am aware the ACSI  offers discount on standard pitches only 

I know  it  cannot be used in August but I will have 10 nights for possible use   as we like to being Nomads when in Europe  

I would say 10 nights would easily give you the payback for the membership fee, plus the book (if they still do it ;-) ) is a goldmine of sites and information.

My only comment is that the quality of the reference in the guide often exceeds the cleanliness in real life.

However we now almost exclusively use our own facilities but will still use the site's if the weather is warm and if they are CLEAN.

I have told ACSI several times about this (which is obviously only our opinion) and despite that wouldn't leave for Europe without the membership even if we did have to pay extra for any premium features (you may be able to negotiate or, out of season, they are just glad of the booking so often we have had a massive pitch for the cheap rate)

Other opinions awaited as we haven't been abroad since Covid...

Posted (edited)

Some sites will give Acsi card holders a free choice of pitches, some won’t. Some charge a supplement for their better pitches, some don’t. Some sites outside the ACSI scheme are good value and have low season discounts of their own,,  some don’t.  Some tourist towns have ACSI sites, some don’t. So just go as you please. Use the ACSI card by all means, but don’t be a slave to it. Have a good holiday.

Edited by moorgate

Thanks for the help I think I will get one and see how it goes  :Thankyou:

Posted (edited)

Just be aware that ACSI cannot be used in high season. Different sites have different dates when the ACSI card is valid. Very few, if any, allow its use in August. 

I have just searched and there are just 132 sites (out of a total of 1396)  in France that will accept ACSI from 23-31st August. 

1st - 10th Sept there are 1050.

If you want to “upgrade” your pitch many (but not all) campsites will allow you pay the extra over and above the ACSI rate

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

We have had ACSI prices on premium pitches, including beach front and those with private bathrooms, so there are sites which offer that, but it's not guaranteed.  In low season (when you are travelling) generally they offer you  a walk-around the site to choose your own pitch, but will indicate if premium pitches are included.  Go flexibly and be prepared to accept what you're offered, and if you don't like it, move on elsewhere.  At that time of year, in most areas, there are loads of sites and pitches to choose from.

Thanks again I will buy one and see if it works for me thats what I enjoy in Europe is the flexibility more than UK  just never gave it a thought before about getting one but these are things I have learned off the Forum 

There are a few ACSI sites in the U.K., mostly on the SW

Our ACSI card has paid for itself even before we go to France in June. Beachside Holiday Park in Hayle is £17pn with ACSI & £26pn without. There are less UK ACSI sites than last yr though. Coftons at Dawlish Warren no longer takes card which used to be a big saving as well. 

On 10/05/2022 at 10:54, Camperdom said:

Our ACSI card has paid for itself even before we go to France in June. Beachside Holiday Park in Hayle is £17pn with ACSI & £26pn without. There are less UK ACSI sites than last yr though. Coftons at Dawlish Warren no longer takes card which used to be a big saving as well. 

According to the ACSI website Cofton still takes the card, 2022 dates shown.

On 11/05/2022 at 23:50, Allan Guest said:

According to the ACSI website Cofton still takes the card, 2022 dates shown.

Not in 2022 book or on map though.  I will try phoning them. 

19 minutes ago, Camperdom said:

Not in 2022 book or on map though.  I will try phoning them. 

This is from ACSI Camping card site just now;

"Cofton Holidays is a campsite with 496 touring pitches and 110 year round pitches. During low season, between 01-04-2022 - 26-05-2022, 06-06-2022 - 14-07-2022 and 01-09-2022 - 03-11-2022, the nightly rate is €22,- at one of the 496 touring pitches at Cofton Holidays in Dawlish (Devon)."

We are currently in France and don’t have an ACSI card this time. No pitch has been more than Eur20 per night, some less, so I think we’ve done pretty well without it,

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

Don’t forget that not all ACSI sites charge the top rate of €22 some are considerably cheaper.  

1 hour ago, Allan Guest said:

This is from ACSI Camping card site just now;

"Cofton Holidays is a campsite with 496 touring pitches and 110 year round pitches. During low season, between 01-04-2022 - 26-05-2022, 06-06-2022 - 14-07-2022 and 01-09-2022 - 03-11-2022, the nightly rate is €22,- at one of the 496 touring pitches at Cofton Holidays in Dawlish (Devon)."

You are right Allan it’s on the website but omitted from book & map. I did phone them. Asked them & bloke said he didn’t know. Very helpful. So anybody who wants to go suggest they phone first. 

As Mr Plodd says, ACSI is for off-peak use. Having said that, the campsites will still be pretty busy at the end of August into September as they move into what the French term shoulder season (épaule) and with the explosion of camping and caravanning over the last two years the old freedom to arrive where you like and pitch in a deserted corner often doesn't happen any more. We are going in June this year (two weeks' time) and have booked the popular well equipped sites in advance as we were rudely disappointed in 2020! If you are looking to go off the beaten track to the 'field and a tap' sort of site (my favourite so long as there is a good restaurant nearby) this should be less of an issue.

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, BFM said:

If you are looking to go off the beaten track to the 'field and a tap' sort of site (my favourite so long as there is a good restaurant nearby) this should be less of an issue.

Or away from the coast!  Don’t dismiss French municipal sites either, for the most part they are pretty good and offer excellent value. Many are right alongside rivers and because the area can be liable to flooding the French sensibly don’t build houses there, but they make great campsites. They are run by the local community for the benefit of the community. Often there is no-one at reception, just a notice saying pitch where you like and someone will be along in the evening to collect the money (very laid back!) 

One in particular, right alongside the Loire at Chaumont Sur Loire (about 10 miles west of Blois) is always on our “Must go to” list. It’s basically a huge area with plenty of trees and open space, no marked pitches at all just pitch where you fancy, plenty of EHU easy walk into the town, lovely Chateau to visit, plenty of eateries,I could go on, and on, and on ! And it’s about €10 per night. There is a hot air balloon launch site on the opposite bank and you frequently get them “lifting off” first thing in the morning. A pretty impressive sight, especially if there are 2 or 3 together!

I have pointed others on the forum to that site and everyone who has visited it seems to love it as much as we do :) Its so big it is never crowded but likewise, due to the topography, layout and trees it never feels like it’s that big if that makes any sense? 

I am sure there are others just as nice, we have found a good few  purely by chance.

There is a publication that lists Every campsite in France  both commercial and municipal and there are a lot  (it’s in French but easy to understand) and it’s currently on sale at only £4.99 ! 

Edited by Mr Plodd

Oh, thank you for that! It might just be our overnight halt on the way home :) I agree entirely with the rest of your post. We particularly like the municipal at Epernay - same sort of thing and round the corner from Champagne houses.

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

10 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Or away from the coast!  Don’t dismiss French municipal sites either, for the most part they are pretty good and offer excellent value. Many are right alongside rivers and because the area can be liable to flooding the French sensibly don’t build houses there, but they make great campsites. They are run by the local community for the benefit of the community. Often there is no-one at reception, just a notice saying pitch where you like and someone will be along in the evening to collect the money (very laid back!) 

One in particular, right alongside the Loire at Chaumont Sur Loire (about 10 miles west of Blois) is always on our “Must go to” list. It’s basically a huge area with plenty of trees and open space, no marked pitches at all just pitch where you fancy, plenty of EHU easy walk into the town, lovely Chateau to visit, plenty of eateries,I could go on, and on, and on ! And it’s about €10 per night. There is a hot air balloon launch site on the opposite bank and you frequently get them “lifting off” first thing in the morning. A pretty impressive sight, especially if there are 2 or 3 together!

I have pointed others on the forum to that site and everyone who has visited it seems to love it as much as we do :) Its so big it is never crowded but likewise, due to the topography, layout and trees it never feels like it’s that big if that makes any sense? 

I am sure there are others just as nice, we have found a good few  purely by chance.

There is a publication that lists Every campsite in France  both commercial and municipal and there are a lot  (it’s in French but easy to understand) and it’s currently on sale at only £4.99 ! 

Thanks for info I  have the 2012 Every campsite in France  book that a friend gave me and have used it a few times  its very good once you know how it works  I will be ordering a replacement one as I have looked for one in the shops while in France and never found it 

Regards Air Balloons we was at the municiple  at Amboise and had a late night enjoying a lot of wine  what a nigthmare being woken at 7am by the big industrial fans they used to blow up 5 Balloons and the noise from the burners about 100 feet from our van we had it for 2 mornings so decided to leave :(  but the people in the balloons had a good time as we heard them getting excited as they slowly drifted away :D

You grumpy so and so!!! Watching them take off is something to be enjoyed.

If you have never been in a hot air balloon the sensation is quite bizarre. You don’t move, the ground just serenely drops away beneath you (well that’s what it feels like) If yiu ever do go in one be sure to wear a baseball cap or similar, the heat from the burners is really fierce! 

P.s. We are going to the Bristol hot air balloon festival in early August, been meaning to go for years and finally got round to going. Camera battery will be fully charged up., Entrance to the festival site is free as well!