4wd Saloons/estates

Audiman

Right then, further to my recent email re 4WD's and everyones replies re: X-Trails, I took one out for a test drive.

Mmmmmmmmm not sure!! Can't deny it was good, but the driving characteristics are definantly not like those of a saloon car, and I still felt it was a little underpowered, if it was pushed to 150BhP, I reakon it would be about there. Also, wondered if there should be some aftermarket larger wheels with lower profile tyres to reduce that body roll.

This is only my opinion and I can totally understand why people rave about them. ......but on balance, probably not for me.

So, back to my original plan, what 4WD saloon/estate cars are there. ...prefereably diesel but not critical

I can think of:

VW Passat (nice, but not much cheaper than an A4)

Audi A4 (used to be exellent but now their quatro system is not available on the 140 BHP engine. ...Doh)

SKoda (4WD only coming in on the 105 BHP engine!!!!!!!!!!! why?)

Subabru's (not diesel)

Volvo's (pricy for what they are)

Jag X-Type (only an option on the 3. 0 Diesel)

Can't think of any others. ...so this is where you come in!

Can people think of any other 4WD cars that fit the bill?

You know, with the popularity of vanning, I am surprised that Ford and Vauxhall have not resurected their 4WD's. ....... a Mondeo or Vectra with 4Wd, I think would clean up. ......

many thanks in Advance

Guest john1215

I'm currently using a Passat 4motion (its for sale in classified ads) I like it, its a stable, comfortable ride, reasonable economy when towing, excellent power, sometime forget the van is on.

john1215

Honda are bringing out a diesel verion of the CRV (in March I think). Its the same engine as the Accord, i. e. universally liked, nice and quiet, plus Euro IV compliant, +50mpg, etc. I own a 2004 CRV which is petrol, drinks like a fish and not a great tower, but its much more like a saloon than the X-Trail, and the 2005 model (petrol and diesel) is meant to be a much better tower.

Mike

I'm currently using a Passat 4motion (its for sale in classified ads) I like it, its a stable, comfortable ride, reasonable economy when towing, excellent power, sometime forget the van is on.

Thanks John

Not being funny, but as the car is only one year old, why are you selling?

Guest john1215

Thanks John

Not being funny, but as the car is only one year old, why are you selling?

8295[/snapback]

Good question and the reply is nothing more sinister than the fact that we are purchasing a new Volvo in March. I have loved driving the Passat, for me as a towcar it is excellent, economy,comfort,stability, security all are excellent, a drawback is that it is a saloon and my wife and I are dog lovers, our last dog (15yrs old) had to be put to sleep due to a heart complaint, we have always intended getting another. The saloon just isn't suitable for carrying a dog, that is reason one, reason two is that my wife was never completely comfortable either driving or as a passenger, she has had a volvo in her first marriage and has a passion for them. We saw the car on Satruday, we're getting a great discount, not a brilliant part-ex but acceptable and in fifty years this will be the third new car and I'm a sucker for new cars.

The Volvo has a good pedigree as a towcar and it's sutiable for a dog(s)

john1215

Hello Audiman,

I have changed from a Z3 sportscar to a TD4 Freelander, and think its great. Obvioulsy theres more body roll, but you do get use to that :) If you go for a Sport or Sport Premium its slightly lower, tighter suspension and 18" alloys certainly help the driving feel.

I've gone from being sat on the floor, to high up. .its brill.

Not sure what standard power is but if you get a plug in power upgrade its closer to 150bhp (same engine as in 320d BMW) and torque is huge. ..

My advice is try one at least? I know its each to your own and all that at the end of the day and you will hear horror stories about people having bad ones etc etc. .yawn. .yawn BUT that could be said about any car / 4wd its your choice.

PS if you get a new one now you get 3yrs free servicing, 3 yrs European cover etc etc.

In the mean time I will think of some cars. ...in europe you could get a 320dX

Cheers

Scott

Have Mazda got one? The Mazda 6 AWD with 2. 3 litre petrol engine. I persume its 4 wheel drive but the details on the web site were sketchy. Pity they don't seem to do it as a diesel.

[so, back to my original plan, what 4WD saloon/estate cars are there. ...prefereably diesel but not critical

I can think of:

VW Passat (nice, but not much cheaper than an A4)

Audi A4 (used to be exellent but now their quatro system is not available on the 140 BHP engine. ...Doh)

SKoda (4WD only coming in on the 105 BHP engine!!!!!!!!!!! why?)

Subabru's (not diesel)

Volvo's (pricy for what they are)

Jag X-Type (only an option on the 3. 0 Diesel)

Can't think of any others. ...so this is where you come in!

Can people think of any other 4WD cars that fit the bill?

You know, with the popularity of vanning, I am surprised that Ford and Vauxhall have not resurected their 4WD's. ....... a Mondeo or Vectra with 4Wd, I think would clean up. ......

You don't mention what the budget would be but I recently read on whatcar. com that Mercedes are considering offering their all wheel drive system on C and E class estates as well as the S class saloon. Apparently they are already on sale in europe but the UK importer has to convince the big cheese in Germany that there is a market here for them. A C or E class estate with 4wd coupled to the forthcoming 3. 0 litre tdi and 7 speed auto would be some towcar.

Apparently BMW are also considering selling 4wd 3 and 5 series.

Have another look at the Passat :)

Things are changing. The new saloon comes out probably next month, I think its ugly, I would send the doors to a repair shop and have the creases ironed out for a start. The new estate comes out at the end of the year. In the mean time there may be some interesting pricing on new and nearly new vehicles, depending on how well VW handle their stock levels.

I have been asking myself the same question, if my Passat broke again what would I buy. Top of the list at present is a second hand Audi Allroad.

many thanks for the replies.

I test drove a 4 motion and really rather liked it, a bit cheaper than the X-trail, not that much lighter and certainly more refined. In an ideal world I too would have bought an A4 Quattro, but they are not doing that transmission in the 20 TDi for quite some time yet and need to move my car on.

The two main reasons I would like 4 wheel drive are traction and improved general cornering capabilities on our Lincolnshire roads which, I don't know what your roads have been like but for the past 4-5, onths it has been difficult to distinguish where the road end and the verge begins. ..........perhaps the law needs to tackle farmers, we bought a new house and the builder was forced to jet wash the wheels of all his vehicles before leaving the site. ......I wonder if farmers should do the same!!!!!

Anyway those are the main reasons, I have also been told that rear wheel drive will improve traction, but I have no idea if that is true and anyway I can only think of a Lexus and BMW!

Cheers

All Mercedes are rear wheel drive. :)

Frank

9138[/snapback]

How about the A-class. .......

Think only BMW can say ALL their cars a RWD (ignoring Rolls etc. .)

Back to the question - try the 4wd Volvo V70 D5 (not the XC70) - it's pricey but much car (mine's only 2wd and pulls fine).