is caravanning becoming too expensive?

IAB

I would love to hear peoples thoughts on this. 

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on what you go for.

If you insist on using sites with all the bells and whistles then yes.

If, like us, you don't need big sites with EHU, toilet blocks, bars, pool etc then there's lots of small off grid sites which offer cheap sites.

What is too expensive, as opposed to not too expensive, will depend on each person’s circumstances.

Personally have never thought if EHU and toilet blocks as “bells & whistles”.

There's all sorts of expensive in caravanning.

New caravans at £40k plus

All sorts of gear, that isn't really necessary at several £ thousands

Big cars at £150K plus

Premier pitches at The Old Oaks at £48 a night. 

or

An excellent condition used caravan for, say, £5k

A car that will tow it fine for £5k

A CL pitch for £12 or a field with no facilities at all for a fiver a night.   

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

“Is caravaning becoming too expensive?” Is like asking “is my cup of tea too hot?”.

We all have different circumstances in life.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

We bought our first camper for £3500. We used to joke that we'd rather be in our camper looking out at the £70k ones next door than being on the £70k ones next door and being forced to look at ours (think this was a Michael MacIntyre joke originally). We still had the same facilities, views and places to visit nearby.

It cost us less in the 3 years we had it than the caravan does every quarter.

IMG_20210812_194258.jpg.jpg

Edited by ChertseyMike

Mike. Out of I tetest why did you then give up the MH? 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

11 minutes ago, WispMan said:

Mike. Out of I tetest why did you then give up the MH? 

It was a little bit too small with an active toddler in tow. On a rainy day keeping her entertained became a bit of a nightmare (any other day we'd be out exploring from mid morning until dinner time).

We also got slightly fed up of having to plan ahead for places where we could park with a high top, not that it was that hard (if we could get into a car park we could generally park, the Hiace was narrower than most cars, and you could get within 4 inches of the an obstacle without really trying) but when you are visiting two or three places over the course of a day it ads up.

42 minutes ago, GaryB1969 said:

“Is caravaning becoming too expensive?” Is like asking “is my cup of tea too hot?”.

We all have different circumstances in life.

:Plus1: 

Plus it’s all relative, for example when compared to the holidays we were fortunate enough to go on pre-caravan it’s miles cheaper even with recent price increases. 

Towing: 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Tow Car: 2020 BMW X3 M40i

My view is “I want a caravan” Therefore I have to accept it’s going to cost. 
The direct costs of ownership are insurance, storage and maintenance. 
Depreciation is very hard to quantify, especially in current climate where some second hand vans are selling for close to new prices.  
The thing is, irrespective of how much or little you use your van, it’s got a fairly fixed cost. 
So the only way to get good value for your money, use the van more. 

52 minutes ago, ChertseyMike said:

We bought our first camper for £3500. We used to joke that we'd rather be in our camper looking out at the £70k ones next door than being on the £70k ones next door and being forced to look at ours (think this was a Michael MacIntyre joke originally). We still had the same facilities, views and places to visit nearby.

It cost us less in the 3 years we had it than the caravan does every quarter.

IMG_20210812_194258.jpg.jpg

There are still about half a dozen so called campers on Autotrader for under £3,500 but I wouldn't want to try and use them. Most are DIY conversions with a 'personal' take on layout and construction and have been around the world six or seven times.

There are only 138 for sale between £1,500 and £10,000, 576 between £10,000 and £20,000 and 926 between £20,000 and £30,000.

Our 2008 Transit camper cost us £18k in 2018 and I had to spend £4k on it over two years to make it safe. We covered 6,500 miles and sold it for £15k in mid 2020. So for two years campervanning we paid £7,000 plus fuel, plus tax and insurance, plus pitch fees etc. That totals about £5,500 per year which, at our average 35 nights away, comes out at £160 per night. Admittedly the camper served as a secondary daily driver for a retired old buffer but that's accounted for in the mileage/fuel cost. 

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

Basic sites have got expensive due to the electric costs.

Two years ago I was paying £15 a night, then he built a two toilet block with showers, which we don't use.

That put price up to £20 this year it's now£25.

1 hour ago, BM Bairn said:

:Plus1: 

Plus it’s all relative, for example when compared to the holidays we were fortunate enough to go on pre-caravan it’s miles cheaper even with recent price increases. 

I agree on a week for week basis , but add the cost  etc of owning a van and there's not much difference, but the difference in the actual holiday is  tremendous

It’s certainly more expensive than it was pre-pandemic.

We are in the process of booking our first week away since Sept 2020 and estimate the overall cost will be 50-60% more than last time we were away.

Of course the caravan and car were all bought with ‘yesterdays money’, so it’s only the operational costs that have soared…for us. (Provided we don’t succumb to upgrading).

Pre-pandemic my neighbour used to take £3000 holidays abroad each year. Now, they too, will be more expensive.

We have had our current caravan for nearly 10years. With no desire to change it, we feel it was money well spent, giving us multiple weeks away each year, compared to the neighbours 2 weeks in the Med.

At the end of the day, we all need a break from daily routine. However we choose to take that is down to personal preferences and finances. 

My alternative question would be “is caravanning becoming too popular?”  Based on my inability to find pitches at sites I once was able to book at a moments notice. Which would suggest it’s not too expensive for a lot more people.

Edited by ericfield

We go away twice a month all year round and in the summer even more.  I will keep paying until I can't. Sky & meals out will go before the caravan.

We own the car and van, no finance. Yes insurance, servicing and VED on the car to fund.

We can choose to go away when we like, normally avoiding peak times as we are retired.

We are back to France in June not sure where yet!  If the weather is poor we can hitch up and move.

I am 70 wife 68 so we will continue while we are in good health. We may downsize our outfit in the future.

We like to do the odd cruiseor fly and stay holiday, but no cruises since Covid as yet.

Hyundai Santa Fe+Bailey Unicorn Cadiz

Mini Cooper convertible -fun Car!:)

17 hours ago, Steamdrivenandy said:

There's all sorts of expensive in caravanning.

New caravans at £40k plus

All sorts of gear, that isn't really necessary at several £ thousands

Big cars at £150K plus

Premier pitches at The Old Oaks at £48 a night. 

or

An excellent condition used caravan for, say, £5k

A car that will tow it fine for £5k

A CL pitch for £12 or a field with no facilities at all for a fiver a night.   

As little as that? CMC New Forest Centenary site standard pitch with awning is £38.90 per night in mid September!! That is an increase of £1.60 per night.

Cancelled that as soon as we saw it and have a CL about 8 miles away for £15/n.

'Biting the hand that feeds' comes to mind....

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

22 minutes ago, Woodentop said:

As little as that? CMC New Forest Centenary site standard pitch with awning is £38.90 per night in mid September!! That is an increase of £1.60 per night.

Cancelled that as soon as we saw it and have a CL about 8 miles away for £15/n.

'Biting the hand that feeds' comes to mind....

Fully agree, CAMH site prices are very expensive for what you get. Haven't booked any for ages!

Off grid CL/CS/THS & rallies every time for us 😎

If caravanning was too expensive sales it would be a buyers market for caravans and sites would be easy to book. Neither apply. 

I have to agree with "lost in the wilderness" you have to make use to the caravan so that the fixed costs are giving you value for money. I didn't buy a caravan until I retired as it made more sense to hire a cottage or stay in a hotel. Now we get away at least 15 weeks a year the caravan gives us good value.

As for will caravanning become more expensive - of course it will. The forecast is 10% inflation by the end of the year and some of that will have to be passed on by site owners, manufacturers etc.

We’re currently at Incleboro Fields CMHC site for five night, just over £200. Not “cheap” but the sun is shining and we’ve got a nice pitch in a sun trap so I won’t moan!

4D78574C-7BCB-4450-9205-E301521E1238.jpeg

I don't think I would ever pay £40 per night.

3 minutes ago, meadowsweet said:

I don't think I would ever pay £40 per night.

The place is full so it looks like another profitable year for the CMHC!

Sadly, £40 per night is becoming the norm on CMH and CCC sites.

It is significantly cheaper than my boat (which isn't very expensive).

Initial cost of caravan...£121

Initial cost of Berlingo tow car...£700

Storage...£300 a year.

CL fees £10-20 a night.

Depreciation doesn't exist at this level of caravanning. I've been offered £3k for my original 1972 Avondale.

Mind you, I've just put £92 of diesel in the Blingo when I could only get £60's worth in it when I bought it.

Still cheaper than B&B though.