Mobile Data in France

As we are now back to data caps, my Smarty unlimited account will only give me 12gb of data a month, not a lot if I wish to use Netflix etc.

Any suggestions for local short term solutions please.

We have a Wilderness trailboat it is the same as a Caravan but it floats, the inside fittings are the same as in many Caravans (Lights,Cooker, Alde heating etc), we stay on Caravan sites (Caravan mode) enroute to and from our chosen destinations,and in France on the return leg for two or more nights due to vet visits. www. wilderness. org. uk

Yes, buy some books!

Did hear a radio ad this week, think for Vodaphone, which said they  had no roaming charges.

Would think Mr Google could help?

We are aware of this since our 8 week holiday in France last year. We are with 3 and the previous year our unlimited data was a bonus as the campsite Wi-Fi is useless. Last year we were finding our data for the month had gone after 2 weeks. Talking to our Dutch friend next door, he’s a techie, he suggested a mifi router with a cheap monthly French data sim. You need a French address so he used the campsite one. They were available in the newspaper shop. I am now looking for a mifi unit for this coming year.

I use the Huawei 4G Plus MiFi from Three.

We have a Wilderness trailboat it is the same as a Caravan but it floats, the inside fittings are the same as in many Caravans (Lights,Cooker, Alde heating etc), we stay on Caravan sites (Caravan mode) enroute to and from our chosen destinations,and in France on the return leg for two or more nights due to vet visits. www. wilderness. org. uk

With one exception all the SPs are saying no roaming charges, but they are saying nothing about usage charges. For instance VF will charge you £2 per day* for any day that you use the service, and call costs will come off your credit or call limit depending whether you are contract or PAYG.(* or £1 per day if you have purchased a European Roaming Pass although they don't say much about how much the ERP costs!)

From what I have seen EE/BT and 3 are doing something very similar.

At the moment O2 (and its baby, Giffgaff) AFAICT are allowing you to use your phone in the EU just as you did before Brexit with no extra charges.

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

EE will, after early March, allow you to purchase a “pass” at £10 per month that enables you to use your contract call and data allowance in the EU and some other non EU countries..

The month runs from bill date to bill date, but if commenced, or ceased at some point within any billing month you are charge pro-rata. But you have to opt in, and more importantly the deal continues until you cancel it.,

If you don’t purchase the pass you get charged £2 for each and every day you use your phone outside the U.K. That’s £60 per month if you are not careful :o

11 hours ago, tonyradstone said:

I use the Huawei 4G Plus MiFi from Three.

Apparently a 3G Mifi device will provide 4G service if you put a 4G data sim in it.

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

10 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

EE will, after early March, allow you to purchase a “pass” at £10 per month that enables you to use your contract call and data allowance in the EU and some other non EU countries..

The month runs from bill date to bill date, but if commenced, or ceased at some point within any billing month you are charge pro-rata. But you have to opt in, and more importantly the deal continues until you cancel it.,

If you don’t purchase the pass you get charged £2 for each and every day you use your phone outside the U.K. That’s £60 per month if you are not careful :o

Apparently a 3G Mifi device will provide 4G service if you put a 4G data sim in it.

Thanks for the that info MrP-it was a question I was about to put to EE for our trip to France this year :-)

Hmmm, maybe not quite Andy. I have had a couple of the white Huawei-made mi-fi units with the 3 symbol on the case and LED indication. These will only do the 2G and 3G frequencies (i.e. 900MHz band, 1800MHz band, and 2110MHz band) plus I don't think they can decode the 3G format. 

However if you come across a black Huawei 3 router with a LCD screen they are usually a model that can cover 4G bands (800MHz and 2600MHz) and decode the format. But before you say it, EE also uses 1800MHz frequencies for 4G but that may still leave a decoding issue.

Been there, done that, etc etc......

We have Virgin mobile, they are not charging for roaming in Europe. Sufficient for e mails and Internet for us. A lot of sites have WiFi anyway.

We don't  bother with streaming films etc. We take our van TV and our wallet of dvds plus e books. 

Hyundai Santa Fe+Bailey Unicorn Cadiz

Mini Cooper convertible -fun Car!:)

We load up our Humax box with pre-recorded films and drama and take it with us so if we have an urge to watch telly plenty on there.  Although more for the winter than summer months.

32 minutes ago, meadowsweet said:

We load up our Humax box with pre-recorded films and drama and take it with us so if we have an urge to watch telly plenty on there.  Although more for the winter than summer months.

We do exactly the same both when caravanning and if we do an apartment rental in Spain with Brittany Ferries “Winter  Sun” deals (which are excellent value)

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

For the OP, have a look on eBay for item 384727455001 which is a Huawei E5776S 4G mi-fi that will take an external aerial. It is being sold by the British Heart Foundation and at the time of writing this text its price is £9.99 + P&P.

For years I have worked on a simple premise, and that is that when I am on holiday, generally I don't want to use the Internet, or my mobile phone - because it's a holiday and I want to get out and visit interesting places, take photos and generally chill out and enjoy the local ambience.

I fully accept that there may be people you need to keep in touch with at home but news etc., can be had from a radio station, a news paper, or just by talking to your hotel or campsite receptionist.

You'll probably guess that I'm not a great film watcher but if I was, I'd probably take some pre-recorded films to watch whilst away. 

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

We have a  Huawei  device (mifi) and a 6quid 250mb sim but we all have EE phones, same as sim, so we just transfer data to device. We all have 100gb data contract (but don't use anywhere near it) and transfer over on payment date which is the 22nd of the month. I believe that if you have a phone contract taken out prior to July 1st last year then roaming is still free up to "fair usage" which is 30gb per month. Contracts taken out after the 1st July and you can pay 10pm.

We have just used a normal phone as a wifi hotspot. I use the phone very rarely anyway so have a giffgaff PAYG sim card, then buy a 15GB or so goodybag for when we're away. Costs around £10 and easily meets our requirements.

We're tentatively planning a trip in June so provided roaming charges don't come in for O2 (giffgaff's carrier) will do the same again. Yes we're on holiday but we find it handy to research local places of interest, restaurants etc as well as campsites.

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2

For the record O2 is not GG's carrier - they own GG.

I stand corrected....

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2

11 hours ago, Woodentop said:

For the record O2 is not GG's carrier - they own GG.

For the record Giff Gaff is owned by Téléfonica, not O2.

So in fact the O2 brand is the Telco which hosts the Giff Gaff virtual network.

1 hour ago, Readingblue said:

For the record Gift Gaff is owned by Téléfonica, not O2.

So in fact the O2 brand is the Telco which hosts the Giff Gaff virtual network.

It's weird but the option to Edit this reply and correct the spelling of Gift isn't available to me.

Yet I can Edit other content I've posted...

Any thoughts?

21 minutes ago, Readingblue said:

It's weird but the option to Edit this reply and correct the spelling of Gift isn't available to me.

Yet I can Edit other content I've posted...

Any thoughts?

So you made a Gaff with the spelling of Giff 😀

A Gift for those who like (feeble) puns.

6 minutes ago, AlwynMike said:

So you made a Gaff with the spelling of Giff 😀

A Gift for those who like (feeble) puns.

👍👍

On 10/02/2022 at 22:22, Mr Plodd said:

Hi Mr P.

Further to my previous response I've just had an interesting conversation with EE.

I have an EE sim card on a rolling monthly contract which I purchased before a certain date (March 2021 I believe)

Because of this date I am not charged for roaming or calls back to the UK from France.

As long as I keep this rolling contract that will remain the norm for me.

Anybody else in the same position?

4 hours ago, charlieboy2608 said:

Hi Mr P.

Further to my previous response I've just had an interesting conversation with EE.

I have an EE sim card on a rolling monthly contract which I purchased before a certain date (March 2021 I believe)

Because of this date I am not charged for roaming or calls back to the UK from France.

As long as I keep this rolling contract that will remain the norm for me.

Anybody else in the same position?

Absolutely. The date though was 7.Jul.2021. if your contract was started before then you won't be charged.

Here's the rub. If you are in a contract which includes a handset (which I guess you aren't) when the contract ends you'll either have to switch tariffs, thus losing free roaming, or continue paying an inflated amount. So in most cases EE won't care.

Fortunately my family is all on EE SIM only plans which means the change won't affect us until we switch. What might make us change is that our older plans increase by RPI plus 3.9 pct or if we ever want to go to 5G. 

We may not care atm but in a few years, one will probably have to migrate from existing technology.

Most folks though will be stung at the end of their contract...