Towing with a Tiguan R-Line 2016 AWD Auto

mharriss

I have just bought this used car, and am very pleased with it.  However, I have been told this by VW Customer Support: -

"Volkswagen UK does not approve the installation of a tow bar on our Volkswagen R-Line models. I have checked with our Parts Support Team and I have been advised that having this fitted puts stress onto the vehicle’s engine and is not compatible due to the weight of the vehicle"

Can anybody explain what this is all about?  This car is highly rated as a towcar by all the websites I have found.

Edited by mharriss

I bought 2016 R line AWD manual 6 months old from a VW main dealer and when I contacted the company who had previously fitted tow bar to my golf I was told no tow bar available, the dealer also said their parts department could not locate one for R line I contacted another local company who offered a fixed towbar and two detachable,  after double checking it would fit R line and was AL-KO compatible I had a detachable Witter fitted and have towed with it ever since . The initial problem with tow bars was the R line bumper , westfallia did not make a tow bar so I assume VW parts said it could not be fitted. The R line is exactly the same as any  Tiguan apart from trim and body kit and an excellent tow car

Thank you 200016Affle.  I was feeling pretty depressed after getting this email and was considering rejecting the car and getting a non-R-Line model. 

Your experience is encouraging!

This is a picture from a company called John Ingham Towing on Facebook, so you can definitely get them. Might be worth giving them a call to see what parts were involved 

CF756E3F-6028-4DF2-BAD1-266C879D40E0.jpeg

61 Santa Fe & 2011 Bailey Olympus 624

Last of the Mk 1

The photo looks similar to mine but at the time westfallia did not make a bar for R line they have since bought Witter so probably reason for protector cap.The bumper has to come off and the lower skirt needs to be cut, cutout already marked by VW once it is off

Has the car been rated for towing? Surely, checking the statutory plate on the B post and the V5 is the first basic step. I don't think there is any structural difference between the R Line and the rest of the range, so it's probably simply a matter of finding an acceptable tow bar.  However, I would check the basics before proceeding.

Ern

If VW quote a towing weight for the vehicle them it should be capable of towing that. You do need to check the statutory plate on the car to see if it has a towing limit though. The explanation from VW seems to suggest the drive line is not up to it, which would make me wary and could mean any guarantee you get with it would be invalid. 

15 minutes ago, Wildwood said:

If VW quote a towing weight for the vehicle them it should be capable of towing that. You do need to check the statutory plate on the car to see if it has a towing limit though.

Sorry, but where can I find the "Statutory Plate"?   My V5C list the max towing capacity of the car as 2200kg.

1 hour ago, xtrailman said:

Is this a MK2 or MK1 Tiguan?

I think it is a Mk 1

This is a photo of the back of my car.  It looks the same as Duncan123's photo.

IMG_20220129_111141_894.jpg

There is a company on line called Tow Bar Express who list a tow bar for a Tiguan 2008-16 including R-Line.

says £610 inc fitting on website.

61 Santa Fe & 2011 Bailey Olympus 624

Mharriss that photo is the same as mine was . There is no problem with the ability of the car to tow as your towing capacity confirms. My tow bar was fitted via the main dealer by an independent company, they took the car and I paid the bill, as I said before VW used westfallia as an OE supplier and they did not make an R line tow bar so unless it was a factory fitted electric retractable (rare in UK on MK 1s) VW decided it was easy to say my possible, the R line has the same body kit as what was the sport so they will probably say that cannot tow either, same as you will not be able to get mudflaps(another story) !!

It might just be worth checking the R Line is type approved for towing. Otherwise I do wonder if people who write such cobblers as the reply the OP got from VW have a clue about towing. I would write back and ask them what specific differences there are with the R Line engine? And if you find (as I suspect you will) it is type approved to tow I would also point that out too. It’s a bit like Toyota UK who publish a statement about nose weights saying they are set such to exceed them will result in the front wheels lifting off the ground! 

17 hours ago, mharriss said:

I have just bought this used car, and am very pleased with it.  However, I have been told this by VW Customer Support: -

"Volkswagen UK does not approve the installation of a tow bar on our Volkswagen R-Line models. I have checked with our Parts Support Team and I have been advised that having this fitted puts stress onto the vehicle’s engine and is not compatible due to the weight of the vehicle"

Can anybody explain what this is all about?  This car is highly rated as a towcar by all the websites I have found.

Open the drivers' door, look at the plate between the two doors, close to the sill. This is your statutory load plate. The figures are rock sold reliable Type Approved by VW.

My Tiguan states 2320 kg (This is the car maximum laden Mass).

4820 kg (this is the maximum Train Mass.

1 - 1190 kg

2 - 1180 kg  (these are the car maximum axle loads)

On this example the legally registered and type approved towing limit is 2500 kg. Models vary.

The tow-bar issue is simply a commercial matter, so if you find what you want, just get it done.

All new tow bars have to comply with type approval regulations these days, so don't worry.

Edited by Ern

Ern

21 hours ago, Flatcoat888 said:

It might just be worth checking the R Line is type approved for towing. Otherwise I do wonder if people who write such cobblers as the reply the OP got from VW have a clue about towing. I would write back and ask them what specific differences there are with the R Line engine? And if you find (as I suspect you will) it is type approved to tow I would also point that out too. It’s a bit like Toyota UK who publish a statement about nose weights saying they are set such to exceed them will result in the front wheels lifting off the ground! 

I have asked them just that - I await their reply.  As I now have the proof of the Statutory Load Plate (thank you Ern!) and my V5C,  I will be asking them about that as well!

I'm not sure on the Mk1 Tiguan and your engine but on some VAG models the factory towbar or having towbar prep fitted comes with cooling system upgrades. 

If your model does not have a factory towbar listed the dealer will just take the party line "Computer says no" This could be down to the inability to do the cooling upgrades from factory or clearance of the westfalia bar to the revised rear bumper.

As long as it has the GTW figure on the name plate then you are all good to fit an aftermarket towbar and the chance of any cooling issues in the uk climate are negligible.

I've had two Yeti's (Skoda's Mk1 Tiguan), the first one had aftermarket towbar and no cooling upgrades, this one has factory towbar with upgraded fan and more cut outs in the grill but I've not noticed any difference even towing mid-summer.

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

It is very simple. The car is either: a) type approved for towing or b) not. If the latter you CANNOT legally tow with the car. However the data you have found suggests it is type approved. The tow bar issue is almost certainly due to the different bumper profile on the R Line trim affecting installation of a tow bar without cutting. Cooling upgrades seem to vary from model to model and year to year and are for towing in extreme temperature conditions. 

Edited by Flatcoat888

Flatcoat888 you are correct with the profile of the R line  bumper however there still has to be a cut in the lower valance as duncan123 photo shows the problem arose because at the time westfallia tow bars either fixed or detachable were not " long" enough to clear the R line bumper for hitch clearance particularly AL-KO so it was easier to say not possible

2 hours ago, Flatcoat888 said:

It is very simple. The car is either: a) type approved for towing or b) not. If the latter you CANNOT legally tow with the car. However the data you have found suggests it is type approved. The tow bar issue is almost certainly due to the different bumper profile on the R Line trim affecting installation of a tow bar without cutting. Cooling upgrades seem to vary from model to model and year to year and are for towing in extreme temperature conditions. 

This is the plate on my car. Is this definitive confirmation that it is approved for towing?

IMG_20220131_100441_727.jpg

2 hours ago, 200016AffIe said:

Flatcoat888 you are correct with the profile of the R line  bumper however there still has to be a cut in the lower valance as duncan123 photo shows the problem arose because at the time westfallia tow bars either fixed or detachable were not " long" enough to clear the R line bumper for hitch clearance particularly AL-KO so it was easier to say not possible

I am told that they will fit a Witter removable tow-bar to my car.

4 hours ago, mharriss said:

This is the plate on my car. Is this definitive confirmation that it is approved for towing?

Yep, 4,505 kg is your max train weight, 2,270 is your max vehicle weight, fully loaded. 4,505kg - 2,270kg - 2,235kg so that is the max whatever you are towing can be.

I used to tow with a mk1 tig, I thought the towbar was factory fit (pulled a lever and it dropped down). I bought it second hand though and, at the time I didn't even know it had a towbar (it was before my caravanning days) so didn't ask. Only noticed it when I bent down to pick something up from the garage floor. It was a 2.0 tdi, 140 bhp from memory.

I am towing 1500kg and with the Kerb weight of the car at 1723, I am in business!

Many thanks to all of you who contributed, and put my mind at rest.  I just need to lean on VW Support for an apology for a week of anxiety.

5 hours ago, mharriss said:

Witter detachable is what I have virtually the same as duncan123 photo it replaces the whole rear crossmember which you should get back in casd you need to remove the tow bar at a later date . Happy towing.

5 hours ago, mharriss said:

I am towing 1500kg and with the Kerb weight of the car at 1723, I am in business!

Many thanks to all of you who contributed, and put my mind at rest.  I just need to lean on VW Support for an apology for a week of anxiety.

VW support is outsourced and pathetic in my experience

17 hours ago, mharriss said:

Dont hold your breath….. they are not interested in someone buying an older used VW. And most other manufacturers reps are probably equally clueless.