Purchasing tyres

konrose

Need to replace my tyres on the van.

Is there such a thing as tyres which are specific for caravans ?   I would have thought that the "van" tyres listed on popular fitting websites would suffice - but just checking if there was anything I should know ?

Thanks in advance

17 minutes ago, konrose said:

Need to replace my tyres on the van.

Is there such a thing as tyres which are specific for caravans ?   I would have thought that the "van" tyres listed on popular fitting websites would suffice - but just checking if there was anything I should know ?

Thanks in advance

Tyre size and spec is in your hand book or on the side of the tyre, single axle vans use van tyres but they are rated for certain weights so best to check. you might need 102 104 or 106 depending on your van  

13 minutes ago, Dannyp said:

Tyre size and spec is in your hand book or on the side of the tyre, single axle vans use van tyres but they are rated for certain weights so best to check. you might need 102 104 or 106 depending on your van  

Ah, thanks

Not sure what your plans are but I had a decent experience using a mobile tyre fitter rather than taking the wheels to a tyre dealership.

Towing: 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Tow Car: 2020 BMW X3 M40i

Try to get tyres manufactured in the last 6 months so you get maximum life out of the limited life they might have.

Regards, David
Peugeot 308 GT Premium, 1.5 diesel 2021

FWIW .....Formula one Autocentres can fit at your home-assuming you store at home of course :-)

2 hours ago, charlieboy2608 said:

FWIW .....Formula one Autocentres can fit at your home-assuming you store at home of course :-)

I think all the major tyre retailers including Halfords offer mobile fitting these days.  My last set of SUV tyres in June of last year were competitively supplied and fitted on my drive by KwikFit.

1 hour ago, ReggiePerrin said:

..... fitted on my drive by KwikFit.

A thing to note about Kwik-fit is for non-car tyres you have to phone or go to branch as they do not have caravan spec. tyres on the website.  

Regards, David
Peugeot 308 GT Premium, 1.5 diesel 2021

If your van has 104-102 load rating you may have difficulty getting them. Look on the tyre rating lists and compare what 2 (or 4) tyres will take as load against the MPTLM of your van. If your van is at least 10% below the combined carrying capacity you could use 100-102. (102 is the load rating for two tyres, 100 for four tyres.)

You can use any speed rating above about 70mph - you will probably find R is the easiest to get.

If your tyres are, say, 185R14 you may have to enter a profile rating of 80 (i.e. 185/80R14) to get a web site to quote. /80 is a 'standard' tyre.

If you can get extra load tyres so much the better. If your present tyres have a C (e.g. 185R14C) it just means it is a commercial van tyre and the C can be ignored.

Finally, you may find Avon tyres are good value for the loading you require. BE AWARE that the manufacturers of Avon very specifically warn that their (van) tyres are unsuitable for caravan use.

For the record I got my last van done by Just Tyres who were the most competitive.

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

19 hours ago, BM Bairn said:

Not sure what your plans are but I had a decent experience using a mobile tyre fitter rather than taking the wheels to a tyre dealership.

Same here.  Tyres on the Drive.  We'd just bought a new caravan, got it home and next morning, one of the tyres was down.  It had a nail in it.  Contacted them, and they came and fixed it on the drive:D.  Bear in mind, that it may take a couple of days before they come and fit them.  Also, caravan tyres should have a letter "C" as part of the caravan size on the side of the tyre

2 hours ago, Babstreefern said:

Same here.  Tyres on the Drive.  We'd just bought a new caravan, got it home and next morning, one of the tyres was down.  It had a nail in it.  Contacted them, and they came and fixed it on the drive:D.  Bear in mind, that it may take a couple of days before they come and fit them.  Also, caravan tyres should have a letter "C" as part of the caravan size on the side of the tyre

See my comment above. Getting caravan tyres with a C on them can be <very> difficult and it is not necessary.

The tyres will be van tyres. I find many fitting sights not very caravan friendly and think a mobile fitter would be better unless you know a site which can acommodate the caravan. 

Check out ASDA's website. Its good.  They sell van tyres and decent brands too. You select a local tyre depot for the fitting, and ASDA make the arrangements. I have used them before and checked them last week because my tyres may need to be replaced soon. You don't pay until the tyre is fitted, so you can reject them if they are too old.

Ern

19 hours ago, Babstreefern said:

Can they balance the wheels too?

4 hours ago, gtepete said:

Can they balance the wheels too?

Yes.

Having two tyres supplied by Asda (well actually Colewood Automotive of Stockton-on-Tees camouflaged as Asda) fitted on my car at the local Ford/Mazda (was Peugeot) garage on Tuesday morning. Second set on this car and just about the best price available. What's more you sit in the showroom with a free coffee and watching TV or reading their free newspaper. Only problem was last time it took them nearly two hours!

On 29/01/2022 at 16:25, Woodentop said:

Having two tyres supplied by Asda (well actually Colewood Automotive of Stockton-on-Tees camouflaged as Asda) fitted on my car at the local Ford/Mazda (was Peugeot) garage on Tuesday morning. Second set on this car and just about the best price available. What's more you sit in the showroom with a free coffee and watching TV or reading their free newspaper. Only problem was last time it took them nearly two hours!

At the purchasing stage, you would have been given a choice of tyre fitting companies in your locality.

Presumably you chose the garage. 

Ern

On 28/01/2022 at 12:58, ReggiePerrin said:

I think all the major tyre retailers including Halfords offer mobile fitting these days.  My last set of SUV tyres in June of last year were competitively supplied and fitted on my drive by KwikFit.

Ok thank you for your response and it should help the OP to whom my comment was made :-)