To paper or not to paper, that is the question!

Hi fellow caravanners 😊 We have had our static since August, so still new to it all. Can anyone  give me some advice on painting and wallpapering please. I would love to wallpaper but have had some folk tell me , yes go ahead, then some saying, no it'll come off. Also if I choose paper what do you do about the ( don't know what they're called )  plastic joining straps on the wall?  

I'd also like to paint the built in units in the living room and also the kitchen units to brighten them up, a wee change from the pine look , but what kind of paint would I use? 

Whe I'm here I may as well ask this too 🤣 can I lay a new carpet over the carpet that's already down? All the carpets have no underlay, just been glued down I guess. Do I need to rip them up and get underlay?

Thanks for reading. Looking forward to hearing all your tips and tricks .

Joanne

We’ve never done any of the things you’re talking about but do know a few who have.

None of them have papered, they’ve just painted walls, I think that’s what I’d do if I was renovating.

Theyve all painted some/all the units but I don’t know what paint they used. I’m guessing it would be the sort you’d use at home to do the same thing. One person has spray painted all the units including the wardrobes and it gives a really good finish.

As for carpets, yes, you can lay new carpet on top of old but just be aware that the doors may need something doing to them so they can open and close, and as the internal doors aren’t solid it may not be as easy as just sanding a bit off the bottom.

sorry not to be of more help, hopefully someone will come along who is more knowledgeable 🙂

Vaguely ,Thank you so much,  I guess it's all just a learning curve , but there's just Soooo much to learn lol. 😊

You’re welcome Joanne..although I’m not sure how much help I actually was! 😊

once you’re back on site maybe you’ll find others there who’ve done some similar renovations and I’m sure they’d be very happy to share their experience with you.

• 2 months later...

As for your kitchen units, do a Google search for “Kitchen Cabinet Paint”  

Loads of options available. 

I would be wary of papering the walls, the joints you mention will always be visible through any paper. 

As for carpet, if you are planning on using your static in the “chillier” months then the floor will benefit from a bit of additional insulation. A decent underlay would help, or some Cellotex or similar insulation applied to the underneath of the floor between the bearers  would be even better, but it’s not cheap stuff, have a look on eBay/Facebook market place for anyone selling off any surplus they have. 

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

On 25/01/2022 at 10:50, Vaguely said:

Theyve all painted some/all the units but I don’t know what paint they used. I’m guessing it would be the sort you’d use at home to do the same thing. One person has spray painted all the units including the wardrobes and it gives a really good finish.

Had our pine kitchen professionally hand painted and after carefully watching what the 'Artisan' did, I have painted myself one set of pine bedroom furniture and our utility room units which had a formica type finish all worked out perfectly.

So after cleaning and any filling, I applied two coats of the solvent based 'Zinsser Cover Stain Primer - Sealer' then two coats of 'Farrow and Ball' eggshell finish, trade suppliers like Brewers will match F&B eggshell colours at a cheaper cost.

Eggshell is a dream to apply unlike oil based paints and a professional finish is easily acheived just apply with good quality soft bristle brushes.

Stay safe ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

I have painted a few waxed pine items with chalk paint. No primer etc needed, easy to apply and gives an excellent Matt finish. 

Isnt eggshell a type finish (like silk or Matt is) rather than an actual type of paint such as gloss, emulsion, chalk etc?

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Yes MP, was really referring to F&B water-based eggshell being great to apply compared to oil based paints like the Zinsser, good flat finish. 

Stay safe ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em