2018 Lunar Clubman SB

Realist

I’m tempted to but a brand new never used or taken off the four court the 2018 Lunar Clubman SB.

Its being sold with only 6 months warranty but now that Lunar have been taken over and the new owners saying they will honour the warranty the question I have is……

Would you buy it?

it’s up for £22995 but I’m tempted to go in under that but after reading reviews about Lunar and owners I’m 50/50.

Im stuck on what I can tow due to the type of car we have but this Lunar fits and passes all calculations.

Thanks,

Realist.

We had a 2018 clubman SR. Lovely van, with nothing more than a couple of minor issues. 
But, would I purchase “new” 2018 model today. Simple answer NO. 

The “new Lunar” have not produced any vans apart from finishing off old Lunar part built stock, so you can forget any manufacturers warranty. 
6 months dealer warranty on a “new” van isn’t good enough. 
Why had this particular van not sold before, especially given its coming up five years old. 
If it’s sat on a dealer forecourt for five years, it’s probably had hundreds of people passing through. 

Yes it has been their a while and it’s down to Lunar going bust and the dealer saying before Lunar was taken over the van had no warranty.

Im looking for a van that can be towed by my car and the reason for this specific dealer is back last year I put a £1,000 deposit down on another van but cancelled and they said it was non refundable but can be used against another van.

So in a way I’m trying to get my 1k back, find a newish van that suits my car, unless I change my car that is.

Anyway, thanks for the advice much appreciated indeed.

Thanks,

Realist.

£22995 in pretty strong money for a 4-5 year old caravan even without no previous ownership....but a 6-month warranty does not instill much faith in the product IMHO....Does anybody have a 2018 Lunar price list??

On the bright side we did have a new 2017 Lunar for 3 1/2 years without any major concerns.

1 hour ago, Realist said:

Its being sold with only 6 months warranty but now that Lunar have been taken over and the new owners saying they will honour the warranty the question I have is……

Would you buy it?

The new owner of Lunar Caravans are Lunar Automotive Ltd, they will not honour any warranty from the old company nor were they ever obliged to, the only warranty you will get will be based on an insurance policy.

Would I buy it ? I may take a punt if it was up for the price of a second hand 2018 van, plus a bit extra because of its condition, certainly not £23,000 !

Over the past 18 -24 months caravans have increased in price, both new and second hand along with the price given in part ex also at the peak folk were travelling the length and breadth of the country to try to buy a decent used, let alone a new van !

The question you need to ask yourself is what has this caravan been doing since it's manufacture in 2018, the year before Lunar went bump,the pertinent point being why it hasn't sold for five years !

I doubt there would be any manufacturers warranty on such as fridge hob etc, I could be wrong, look very carefully at the terms of the 6 month warranty, not much use, bearing in mind that many van problems occur years later .

Then we have the problem of spares, should they ever be needed, yes everything will be available for bought in items, microwave, water heater etc. but not the unique Lunar items, body panels, windows, and so on, evidenced by the posts on CT asking where  X,Y.Z, could be obtained.

Their website, which Automotive took over and added a few bits hasn't been updated since 2019 and Automotive itself has been fraught with a barrow load of problems.

Good second hand ones of around 2017  appear to be going for around the £20,000 mark.

So yes it could be a bargain new caravan, with the price being reduced, if all went well and a decent warranty.

Edited by Silversurf

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

Back when Lunar went bust, dealers were offering £4 - 6.000 off list to sell them, so my guess is it would have been discounted to less than £20,000 then, and genuinely brand new.

Prices have risen, but 3-4 yrs standing and  weathering wont have been kind to it, unless its been in the showroom, and it may immediately need a service and new tyres.

We had a brand new Lunar Clubman SE back in 2016 and has so many problems with it that I wouldn’t go anywhere near a Lunar ever again.

2 hours ago, Realist said:

I’m tempted to but a brand new never used or taken off the four court the 2018 Lunar Clubman SB.

Would you buy it?

Seems like you've had your answers and the proverbial "barge pole" comes to mind!

For £23k you could do a lot better.

If you do get down to a decent price and decide to go for it, an Insurance based warranty might give you some peace of mind. 

I had a 2017 Lunar Clubman SB at the time that Lunar went bust and when Lunar Automotive determined they wouldn’t honour any warranty, I took one out with MB&G.

Fortunately, I never needed to call on it so have no experience of how good it might have been, but it gave me some peace of mind until we changed it in 2021.

Bear in mind though that if ever a Lunar (or any other make for that matter) needed some major part like a new front or back panel but the van was not a write off, if the parts are not available, any Insurer will only pay out the last known price of the parts when they were last available.

It is a buyers market at the moment so if you do not buy then someone else almost certainly will, but do be careful. Is this from a dealer as if not I cannot see how they will give a guarantee. We have had two Lunars and the first did lease, we now have a 2018 one and so far we have had no serious issues although the engineer who serviced it last did jokingly say we had the only good one he had seen. I would not say do not buy it but make sure there is no damp problems and check it carefully. 

Didn’t get this van in the end but purchased a Buccaneer Cruiser instead.

Thanks,

Realist.

Possibly wise, as there is more chance of getting spares for the Elddis if you need them.