Edinburgh tattoo caravan site recommendations

E&P1

We’ve got tickets for the Tattoo 👍 Does anyone know if trains run late to Dunbar as looking at a caravan site there. Or any other site suggestions with electric hook up near good transport link please?  Thanks P

Citroen C Crosser Exclusive 2. 2 HDI 57 plate tows 2011 Bailey Unicorn Valencia

Thanks Flatcoat888, I had looked at the club site but some reviews were a bit negative.  Is there parking near the bus route you mentioned?  P

Doesn’t have availability for our dates anyway. P

It is a very good site - stayed numerous times. Lovely walks from the site along the coast. The bus is from the site. However finding a pitch anywhere in striking distance of Edinburgh at this late date will be your problem. 

Thanks again for your info. I’m hoping we can stay further away from Edinburgh and use the train but I can’t find any information about how late the trains run. P

Last train Edinburgh to Dunbar 22.07 , takes 27 minutes.

Mortonhall site , if still running, has bus stop at gate

Rosetta Holiday Park in Peebles just off the Edinburgh Road. OK, 23 miles but Peebles and The Borders is a lovely area and you can get to Edinburgh easily.

If you can find a site around Galashiels the last train from Waverley to Tweedbank (via Galashiels) is roughly 55 past the hour, hourly, with last train leaving Waverley at 23:54, takes 59 minutes.

If you stay nearer Edinburgh beware of the airport out west of the city - it can be VERY noisy in that area.

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

Last time we went to the Tattoo we used a C&CC THS nr Dumfirmline and they organised all in trips including transport. If you're in the C&CC check the Out and About supplement to see if there's anything similar in 2022.

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

Thank you for all the suggestions. I’ll check them out today. I believe the tattoo performance on a Monday ends around 10.30pm so it’s very tight to make some of the last trains. P

The CAMH site in Edinburgh is on the edge of what I would regard as a possibly difficult area. It is close to he centre and I would suggest a Taxi might be a better option than the bus. Dunbar however is a long way out and a taxi would  cost a fortune.  Morton Hall is in a better area and should work. Most sites will book up quickly though so if you want a pitch I would get in early. 

When we visit Edinburgh we usually stay at Slatebarns CL, Roslin (it is next to Rosslyn Chapel), it has five hard standing pitches with electric. There is also a small commercial site, Slatebarns Caravan Park, but I know very little about it other than it is a just past the CL.

There is a bus service from the village, number 37, which also has a night service (N37). The Roslin bus stop is a short walk from the site. The bus stop in the centre is on North Bridge. There is also a Park & Ride at Straiton which is a short drive away, but I am not sure that would be open late on.

There is a pub in the village, The Original Rosslyn Inn, which does some nice meals at a reasonable price.

Edited by MacSpot

Alec

Car & Caravan

Wow, thanks everyone for all the helpful suggestions. 

Wooden top - I had a look at both suggestions but hoping we might find something a bit nearer. 

MalH - there is a THS but no electric so not suitable for us. 
Wildwood - The CMC Edinburgh site is already full on the dates we need. I’ve book marked Morton Hall.  

MacSpot - I had book marked Slatebarns CL and the extra info you have provided re the bus is certainly a bonus. 
I have been in contact with Tantallon caravan park, North Berwick, who are near a train station and buses, so another contender. 
We prefer a smaller site but Slateburns CL doesn’t have availability on our dates. Trying Slateburns Caravan Park next door. 
At least I have a few options now. 
Thanks everyone! P

We are thinking of staying at Dunbar in the early summer and that is on a route into Edinburgh but you would need to check the times of the late trains as they may stop too early unless they run extra trains during the Tattoo and the Festival?

On a slightly associated quest. We have been looking at sites from which we can visit Glasgow and we seem to be having difficulties with finding journey times under an hour. We hope to be staying at the AYR CMC site and may use that as a starting point. We have looked at Morton Hall in Edinburgh, a site at Balloch but have discounted the CMC site on the edge of Glasgow because of its poor public transport connections. 

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

We will also be looking for a site near Glasgow later in our trip to Scotland so I will be interested to see if anyone has recommendations. 
I think Dunbar is not going to work for our Tattoo trip as I think the last trains aren’t late enough.  I have not been able to find out if there are extra trains during the Tattoo. P

I note you have a car and caravan. 

Can you not drive into Edinburgh. There are plenty of car parks.

We have stayed at Brand Leisure Station Caravan Site at East Fortune  (not far from North Berwick) and attended the Tattoo by car  a couple of times.

We actually arrived at the site today for a couple of weeks - fully serviced pitch but note there is no toilet block.

I can recommend https://www.drummohr.co.uk/ at Musselburgh.   There are both bus stops and a good train service from nearby Wallyford (5 mins drive)and these offer free parking so you can get back to the site.    

I’d also recommend The CMC but if returning late at night, it can either be a little creepy down the cut footpath to the site as it’s unlit.  

Janet and Jason xxx
Jeep Cherokee Limited 2. 0CRD (2015) towing a 2016 Swift Challenger 530 Alde

We stayed at Dunbar, but that was part of a longer holiday, not just to see the Tattoo. We then booked a cheap hotel room at one of the airport hotels for the Saturday night as the performance didn't finish until midnight and we would then have had a problem getting through the crowds back to the car - however the Trams run through the early hours of Sunday morning and we got to the hotel about 1.30am. We left the car there and went into Edinburgh for a look around on Sunday morning and then got a phone call from the site as our air awning had collapsed so we had to go back to Dunbar earlier than planned !!

12 hours ago, E&P1 said:

We will also be looking for a site near Glasgow later in our trip to Scotland so I will be interested to see if anyone has recommendations. 
I think Dunbar is not going to work for our Tattoo trip as I think the last trains aren’t late enough.  I have not been able to find out if there are extra trains during the Tattoo. P

Glasgow is a much tougher nut to crack. There are a few CL's but to my mind they are a bit to far out and not really suitable for bus or train use. The CMC site at Strathclyde Park is good, although being so close to the motorway and a busy roundabout there is some traffic noise. There is a choice of railway station nearby, on our only visit we used Bellshill.

Alec

Car & Caravan

Barrysp- we drove to visit Royal Yacht Britannia from Beescraig and hubby said never again 😂 hence rail or bus this time. 

Cherokee2015 - same issue with how late train runs but useful info re bus link thanks.

DerbyClubman - I did consider an overnight in a hotel but it’s an extra cost so will keep looking for caravan site and transport link for now. Your post made me smile 😊 

MacSpot - we will be visiting friends in Skelmorie so can stay more to the west of Glasgow and travel into Glasgow with them. 

I have quite a few enquiries on the go from all the forum suggestions, I’m sure we will find the best solution for us, thank you. P

The Straiton P & R suggested above to the South of Edinburgh has no late night buses.   One possibility might be to drive in on the A701 until past the Cameron Toll and then park in one of the side streets off the A701.  I think the restrictions are only Residence Permits during the day but OK in the evening.  There are lots of buses that run on this stretch of  the 701 that would drop you not too far from the Castle and there are night buses for your return. 

I suspect that you have not looked at staying across the Firth of Forth at, for example, the CAMH site outside Glenrothes.  From the P & R at Halbeath (just off the M90 near Dunfermline), it is a 45 minute or so bus journey into Edinburgh bus station and there is a late bus departure back to Halbeath at 2355 .   This bus, the X59A, actually goes to Glenrothes but when we used this route into Edinburgh in May 2021 we chose to drive to the P & R (20 mins) as it took away any possible parking hassle and was quicker overall.  You also get excellent views of the Firth of Forth from the bridge as the bus uses the old Forth Road Bridge which does not have the wind shields of the new Queensferry Crossing that block the view.

We have booked Slatebarns Caravan Park 😊 

3 minutes ago, E&P1 said:

Looks like a good find.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

43 minutes ago, E&P1 said:

Great. Don't forget the pub in the village does a nice meal and Roslyn Chapel is well worth a visit if you have time. Enjoy.

Alec

Car & Caravan

Thank you 😊