Serviced pitch

colin h

We have been caravanning for almost 3 years now but never been to a serviced pitch.  So we are soon off to Broadway and wondered what size adaptor do i need to connect tap to hose which runs to water butt. Ie campsite end.

If you have any doubts ring the site, but it should be as Reggie says. 

Many sites with service pitches have the adapter already fitted.

Many times I have had to remove the adapter to fit a two way splitter to allow a kettle to be filled without disconnecting my hose, and then refit the adapter when we leave.

Can’t rely on one being there of course.

Edited by hp100425ev

2 hours ago, ReggiePerrin said:

Generally it will be a bog standard 3/4” BSP tap connector -  

https://www.screwfix.com/p/hozelock-brass-threaded-outdoor-tap-connector/95018

other brands and retailers are available.

No it won't. It will be a ½" BSP tap which takes a tap adapter that is about ¾" across.

Three tips to the OP:

DO NOT use yellow connectors etc as the colouring reputedly can be carcinogenic. Use brass if available.

Use BLUE drinking water grade hose (7m of which comes with the Aquaroll adapter kit.)

If you get a (brass?) tap adapter get a double with valves. Then you can fill the kettle without passing the water through the caravan piping or the Aquaroll, and without removing the adapter from the tap.

Been there, done that, etc etc

Edited by Woodentop

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

33 minutes ago, Woodentop said:

No it won't. It will be a ½" BSP tap which takes a tap adapter that is about ¾" across.

Three tips to the OP:

DO NOT use yellow connectors etc as the colouring reputedly can be carcinogenic. Use brass if available.

Use BLUE drinking water grade hose (7m of which comes with the Aquaroll adapter kit.)

If you get a (brass?) tap adapter get a double with valves. Then you can fill the kettle without passing the water through the caravan piping or the Aquaroll, and without removing the adapter from the tap.

Tap adaptors are usually supplied with a reducing collar which reduced a standard garden tap from 3/4 to 1/2 BSP. This will therefore fit both commonly used UK tap sizes. I have never heard of the colour being carcinogenic. Where has that rumour come from?

Ern

Thank you all, much appreciated. 

1 hour ago, Woodentop said:

Then you can fill the kettle without passing the water through the caravan piping

It always makes me smile that people don’t / won’t use the caravan water to make a cup of tea. 
Each to their own I suppose 

1 hour ago, Woodentop said:

Three tips to the OP:

I’m worried about your comment re the yellow connector. I purchased an ‘serviced pitch adapter kit’ and it came with a green fitting with a black insert. Is this safe ?

As Ern has asked, can you validate your comment ?

I have been using all sorts of different coloured tap adapters for years. Neither of my two heads have noticed any ill effects ;)

For the period of time you are going to consume any water that has passed through a “dangerous” adapter the amount of nasties that might have leeched out  is going to be utterly infinitesimal.

Far more important things to worry about in life :rolleyes: 

Like who hasn’t washed their hands after leaving the toilet and then proceeds to use  the toilet block/shop/reception/bar  door!  

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

We always use a separate container for drinking water, including for the kettle. Too often we’ve had a teepol taste from the caravan pipe work.

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

3 minutes ago, MalH said:

We always use a separate container for drinking water, including for the kettle. Too often we’ve had a teepol taste from the caravan pipe work.

:Plus1:

2 hours ago, Woodentop said:

Only ever used 3/4" BSP adaptors on any fully service pitch I have been on and use them a lot, not saying that 1/2" don't exist though.

Stay safe ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

I just  use whatever size of my collection  fits the tap :rolleyes:

Apparently, vintage yellow lego bricks made between 40-50 years ago contained cadmium.    Hozelok say about their hoses…

Our hoses are free from Phthalates, heavy metals and harmful toxins

We have taken every care to guarantee that our hoses are kind to both you and the environment, by ensuring they are free from Phthalates, heavy metals and harmful toxins.
https://www.hozelock.com/safety-and-regulations/phthalate-free/

Can't imagine they’d be still using any carcinogenic colouring product in their plastic fittings in this day and age & like Mr Plod above, I haven’t died yellow tap connector poisoning (yet).

I have never needed or used the smaller adaptor (not sure I even have one in the caravan but I do have a couple or three of the larger version…. 

The 3/4" Gardena tap adapter 6005-20 is likely to be the correct fitting for the majority of gardens.   If you have a slightly older tap, it may be a 1/2" BSP thread version and Gardena supply an adapter to convert the 3/4" fitting to fit these.
https://mincost.co.uk/blogs/news/standard-garden-tap-sizes

Do bear in mind to newbies that 1/2" or 3/4" BSP bears no relationship to that size in inches. 

1/2" is approx 21mms  outer diameter. 

3/4" is approx 26.1/2mms

Is this thread deviation? 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Just to clarify, BSP is internal pipe size. A ½" BSP tap has a ¾" BSP male thread on the hose connector, but it is sold as a ½" BSP tap connector.

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

8 minutes ago, Woodentop said:

Just to clarify, BSP is internal pipe size. A ½" BSP tap has a ¾" BSP male thread on the hose connector, but it is sold as a ½" BSP tap connector.

Nope, as an ex plumber all sizes are nominal. All pipes come in different wall thickness, at one time copper had 3 grades table X,Y,Z, you could not bend Z (known as thin wall) Y you could almost bend it without a spring. Then along came metric and the diameters change again   . Steel generally comes in 2 wall thickness , red band and blue band. But on chemical work generally they use ASA sizes. Plastic was a nightmare when first introduced, the only thing you could do was use the same manufacturer. Not to bad now as there is some standardisation. What was/is a big issue is the plastic pipes produced for your central heating, about 25 years ago it had no barrier layer in the wall, this allowed oxygen to dissolve through the wall  into the water creating a lot of corrosion issues and sludge. Its not a problem on the domestic water H&C . Then there is 2 thread types parallel and tapper, parallel joints usually a face joint seal, taper threads good old thread seal tape.

Hope this gives you some insight.

On 20/01/2022 at 17:13, Mr Plodd said:

I just  use whatever size of my collection  fits the tap :rolleyes:

Indeed, whatever size fits and whatever colour it happens to be.

But not in yellow, according to previous comments.

Personally, I use a brass one.

59 minutes ago, Squash said:

Mine's green!  Is that ok? :)

Is that green plastic, or green brass ? 

15 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Is that green plastic, or green brass ? 

Brass doesn't go green................but copper does. ;)