Problem pairing a second Bailey tracker remote control fob

Anyone have any ideas on this please?

I need to programme a second alarm fob for the tracker alarm in my Bailey Unicorn Valencia 2011 so I can give a spare to the site owner whilst we’re away. The unit is on an annual seasonal pitch. I’m worried that if there’s a gale, the alarm might go off and we’ll be called to come on site but we’re several hours away. I may be over – worrying and it will never happen, but I worry as we had a fault with the alarm on another van causing it to go off and the site manager was on our case to come on site, 4 hours away, to turn it off!

I bought the spare fob from Bailey spare parts provider Prima Leisure. I managed to get pairing instructions for the new fob from them (a story in itself!). I won’t describe the procedure they gave me for security reasons, but it’s based on pressing the existing remote control a number of times until a certain number of beeps is heard and then doing some pressing of the new remote fob a certain number of times and waiting for a prescribed number of beeps.

The problem is that in trying to do the above procedure, the alarm doesn’t beep at all? Is this maybe because it’s out of season and we’re not hooked up to site power? Or is there some other reason the alarm isn’t sounding beeps at all?

Thanks

Peter

45 minutes ago, pmaddern said:

The problem is that in trying to do the above procedure, the alarm doesn’t beep at all? Is this maybe because it’s out of season and we’re not hooked up to site power? Or is there some other reason the alarm isn’t sounding beeps at all?

Your alarm/tracker unit itself operates entirely independently of 230v EHU, as you might reasonably expect.  It relies entirely two healthy 12v batteries - the hidden NP7 (12v 7Ah) and the main leisure battery for its power supply.

Assuming then that the original fob armed and disarmed the alarm as expected until now, I’d first be looking at the condition of the two batteries…

The hidden NP7 alarm battery is recharged whenever the 230v EHU is connected - if it goes flat (end of life or over the course of long term storage with the alarm set perhaps) the leisure battery takes over until it too is fully discharged.  With both of these batteries discharged, the alarm/tracker unit will be completely inoperative.  

If the NP7 battery is the original then at 10+ years old  you should seriously consider replacing it, even if you don't subscribe to Tracker and only use the alarm.  Mine at little over half that age would not charge beyond around 4v and the resultant effect on the leisure battery was fairly severe.  (Documented elsewhere here I think) 

Hunt down your NP7 and and replace it like for like to minimise the drain on your leisure battery.

n.b.  The PIR in the lounge operates wirelessly with its own batteries… its intermittent red lamp flashing is not indicative of a working alarm system.

Edited by ReggiePerrin
To add PIR caution…

Thank you for this. It's most helpful and much appreciated. The question is how to track down the NP7 battery. I can't see any reference to it in my owners' manual.

Peter

52 minutes ago, pmaddern said:

Thank you for this. It's most helpful and much appreciated. The question is how to track down the NP7 battery. I can't see any reference to it in my owners' manual.

Peter

It won’t be documented anywhere as the precise location of the combined alarm and Tracker™ device (complete with its NP7 battery)  is 'top secret'.  It is there to be discovered though so good hunting.

Hopefully you will resolve the fob problem one way or another but do let us know how you get on with it.  

Why should the alarm go off on a static van? There will no infra-red movement within the van to activate the PIR which is all you have to worry about if you don't have a Tracker subscription. From past experience I can tell it will be necessary to move the van some distance (miles rather than yards) before the Tracker movement alarm goes off so a bit of shaking in the wind is of no consequence. (Where is it stored - on a cliff-top??)

Don't worry about it. We have had two Bailey vans with Tracker and apart from one occasion when I omitted to deactivate the alarm before we set off the alarm(s) have never sounded. From a legal aspect any alarm trigger should only let the sounder run for 20 minutes maximum (noise abatement regulations.)

You should incidentally already have two fobs and you have bought a third.

Edited by Woodentop

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville