Elddis Motorhomes - build quality

PaulR

Look at changing from a caravan to a motorhome, I unfortunately know the problems with Elddis Caravans is the build quality any better with the motorhomes?

Thanks for any feedback.

Edited by PaulR
extra info

I would imagine they are assembled in the same factory, using the same internal fittings etc, by the same staff as the caravans. Make of that what you will.,

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Mr Plodd, this is my problem, the last Elddis caravan I had, I did say that is the last Elddis I will have !!

But UK style motorhomes we do not have a lot of choice :(

But I'm open to peoples views bad & good. LOL 

I owned a number of Autotrail motorhomes second hand. I had no issues but a pal had a serious damp issue with a much newer Autotrail !!  Like caravans I fear its a bit of a lottery.

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

I unfortunately must agree. thanks for the reply, we are still in the should we stage just now. :)

On 16/01/2022 at 14:08, PaulR said:

Look at changing from a caravan to a motorhome, I unfortunately know the problems with Elddis Caravans is the build quality any better with the motorhomes?

Thanks for any feedback.

Been said many times before but look at and read the small print in the manufacturers warranty.  The banner headlines are complete rubbish.  Look at what is excluded after 12 months 2 years etc.  That tells you how much faith they have in the product.

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

Thanks Alan.

The Elddis Motorhomes are( or were) built on another smaller line, with separate staff from the caravan line which is much larger.

The panels and furniture are built by the same people as the caravans.

There can be  problems with some of the motorhomes due to the slots cut in the floor to run the services and with the soft furnishings (ozio material as was used a couple of years ago) which may have been changed now.

The advantage of these motorhomes  are : no of belted seats usually match the number of beds, popular layouts and are competitively priced .

The disadvantages are the usual build quality and the customer service can leave something to be desired.

If you use the MH occasionally they can be OK, but are no good for heavy use.

The only ones I would consider would be the panel vans  although maybe too small for what you need.

On 16/01/2022 at 22:38, Mr Plodd said:

I owned a number of Autotrail motorhomes second hand. I had no issues but a pal had a serious damp issue with a much newer Autotrail !!  Like caravans I fear its a bit of a lottery.

If you look on some of the MH forums, Autotrail have a poor name at the minute as Mr Plodd had said, due to leaking and poor quality

• 2 weeks later...

I think that it’s fair to say that quality of all motorhomes have dropped over the years. I started with a hymer b544 year 2000. That was the best building ever owned. Moved on to a autotrail which sad to say was the only van to let us down on a tour, cheap electronics lead to the main battery going flat on hook up. That was px for a globecar based on a Fiat. The Fiat side was the let down, one thing after the other. Then the diesel heater went wrong and it was then a game of who’s paying globecar or the diesel manufacturers. In the end it was globecar. That took 4 months to sort out. So that was px for a one manufacturer throughout and a vw california turned up on the drive. Great for getting around Europe but a dead lost when parked up. The heater cooked us or left us like ice cubes. Which was a pity as we had to come back early on two trips due to the van not being able to deal with the weather conditions. I took a look at a new hymer a few weeks back, the quality has dropped a lot. More use of plastic to be found, less or no insulation behind the panels. And all at prices that made my eyes water a bit. If I do buy another motorhome and to be honest I think it unlikely it will not be a brand new one, a year old one with all the problems sorted I think would be best, and off the owner, not a dealer.