Main Dealer Single axle Caravan servicing Prices vs Independant Approved Workshop

In the past, we have always had a new caravan serviced by the supplying dealer, at least until it was 3 yrs old, in case it needed warranty work, then an approved workshop to save cost (about £50 and possibly a better job)

Does anyone use an approved workshop from day 1, and if so, what about organising warranty work - can the supplying dealer be awkward?

We have a Swift Challenger

Edited by Lagerorwine

In my experience  - yes. I contacted our dealer after having a mobile service at home, about a failure which needed repair under warranty and was told they would "look at it whilst servicing but not otherwise". After some conversation, they reluctantly had the caravan in to look at it and decided they would do the work. Their workshop was busy at the time, so I think they were under a bit of pressure.

Personally, I would get the first 2 services done by the dealer and then see how the caravan was doing before fixing a mobile for year 3 and onwards. (The warranty ends on quite a few things after 2 years).

No. We live about 400yards from Chipping Sodbury Caravans so it always goes there!

Often they even pop round and do warranty work on our drive

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

My supplying dealer was useless both on initial delivery and in resolving some subsequent warranty issues on my new van. For an electrical problem (which I believe were caused by them in the first place installing some extras), after two failed attempts they had to bring in an external 'expert' to resolve. I wouldn't trust them to change a broom head and they are 60 miles away so I have used a very good mobile engineer for servicing from the start. I did have a further warranty claim which I had to argue with them about, but I offered them the option of just supplying the parts and I would pay for local fitting which they eventually agreed to do (saved them the labour cost). I preferred it that way because I didn't want them touching my van again anyway!

So it really depends on how you rate your dealer. If you are happy with their competence and service it obviously will make any discussion over warranty issues easier if they do all work on your van.

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

Interesting thread.

My caravan has just had its third service, so warranty expires in a couple of weeks and I am seriously thinking about using an AWS chap from now on. The only warranty still in force will be the 10 year water ingress and, as far as I can see, providing I get the caravan serviced by an approved workshop or engineer then the water ingress warranty remains in effect. Thoughts?

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Our first service was carried out free of change by our supplying dealer Salop Caravans, for the second service we used a Swift AWS engineer we were very pleased, the 3 year we used the same AWS service was say ok, I finished the job of myself like grease the legs space wheel carrier and grease points,  for the 4 year service we thought we would for convivence use the same AWS engineer, big mistake after an hour he phone to say he had completed the service, I was going to have a go, but the wife told me to pay him and leave it, at least they stamp the book.

For the 5 year we went back and used the supplying dealer Salop Caravans who carried out a thorough service.

40 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Interesting thread.

My caravan has just had its third service, so warranty expires in a couple of weeks and I am seriously thinking about using an AWS chap from now on. The only warranty still in force will be the 10 year water ingress and, as far as I can see, providing I get the caravan serviced by an approved workshop or engineer then the water ingress warranty remains in effect. Thoughts?

Mr Plodd.

You have a 10 year water ingress warranty . Just before it’s sixth birthday you will need to make a payment to secure the final four years. It is about £250.

P

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

55 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Interesting thread.

I was in the same position because of the dealer's  incompetence. I started using a trusted AWS guy. Later I had a bodywork failure and the dealer refused to even look at it because I hadn't let them service it.  (After some conversation, they agreed to have a look at it, and finally agreed to do the job under warranty. They then messed up the repair and I refused to accept it, and it had to be done again).  The issue here is that the dealers are not agents of the manufacturer and can do whatever they want. So you could have difficulty in getting a large (bodywork jobs are sometimes large) warranty repair done. Personally, I think  above all, it is essential to have your routine service work done and trust the person doing it. Our caravan is now 6yrs old and I would not want to go back to the dealer for any reason, so if there is a failure I will ask Swift to find a repairer.

I have never used a dealer for servicing choosing, instead,  to use an independent workshop which is not only AWS approved but also approved by the caravan manufacturer for all repairs and warranty work so they can obtain parts and make claims direct. In my experience the quality of work is generally higher, labour charges around £20 an hour (or more) cheaper and appointment waiting times much shorter than at a dealership.

Edited by Legal Eagle

Thanks for everyone's thoughts.  Possible warranty work is the area I am concerned about.

The AWS workshop I have used previously (after 3rd service), is Swift approved. Does anyone know if that type of workshop can do the warranty work by referring it to Swift directly? Previous Swift never needed work after warranty expired, so not sure if that would be the case.

49 minutes ago, PR1 said:

Mr Plodd.

You have a 10 year water ingress warranty . Just before it’s sixth birthday you will need to make a payment to secure the final four years. It is about £250.

P

I wasn’t aware of that!

I wonder what exactly the £250 charge is for? How many hours labour time does that represent?

Think how many of those £250’s can be trousered before one of the caravans actually needs any rectification due to damp? 20, 30? All of those £250’s will more than cover the cost of the odd repair won’t it?

21 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

I wasn’t aware of that!

I wonder what exactly the £250 charge is for? How many hours labour time does that represent?

Think how many of those £250’s can be trousered before one of the caravans actually needs any rectification due to damp? 20, 30? All of those £250’s will more than cover the cost of the odd repair won’t it?

Well the policy is through MB&G and Bailey.

We have just taken out the extended policy for all the caravan working gear to give us peace of mind for the next three years.

Will take the extra water ingress one out later.

Covers everything except motor mover!

When you think a replacement fridge is nearly a £1000 it is, in my opinion well worth it!

Edited by PR1

26 minutes ago, Lagerorwine said:

Thanks for everyone's thoughts.  Possible warranty work is the area I am concerned about.

The AWS workshop I have used previously (after 3rd service), is Swift approved. Does anyone know if that type of workshop can do the warranty work by referring it to Swift directly? Previous Swift never needed work after warranty expired, so not sure if that would be the case.

Go to this section of the Swift website and select Service Centre from the drop down list then enter your location. That will identify repair and warranty approved workshops:

https://www.swiftgroup.co.uk/find-a-dealer/type/repairer

Swift approve the use of all AWS agents for annual servicing but that doesn't equate to automatic approval for repairs and warranty matters. They must carry specific Swift repair and warranty work approval. Ask your AWS workshop what their approval extends to or it may be on their website if they have one.

1 hour ago, PR1 said:

Well the policy is through MB&G and Bailey.

We have just taken out the extended policy for all the caravan working gear to give us peace of mind for the next three years.

Will take the extra water ingress one out later.

Covers everything except motor mover!

When you think a replacement fridge is nearly a £1000 it is, in my opinion well worth it!

I asked my dealer about the extended warranty. “Don’t waste your money” was the response. Apparently, in the event of a possible claim, it’s a case of take your caravan to dealer, dealer inspects it and you take it away again, dealer then sends warranty request to insurance company, dealer then awaits authorisation from insurer which is in no way a certainty. Apparently my dealer has had more than a few issues trying to get authorisations, the insurers trying all sorts “wriggles” to get out of honouring the policy.

I did look at the extended warranty cost. It is £24 a month, so  just under £300 a year. That’s considerably more than I pay for my car insurance! And, over three years that’s £900 which, to my mind, doesn’t offer enough value for my money. Yes a new fridge is nearly £1000 but any repairs (PCB for example) are considerably less than that.

I will probably “ring-fence” £1000 in premium bonds. That way I will have the money if I get an unexpected bill, if not I will have £1000 left at the end of year three, and I might just get a decent win :)

I have done exactly that for a fair few years on my cars and not had any nasty bills! (And kept my money and a couple of £50 wins) 

I could of course get my fingers well and truly burnt, but what are the chances?  I certainly don’t know, but it’s a risk I am prepared to take.

Edited by Mr Plodd

2 hours ago, Legal Eagle said:

Go to this section of the Swift website and select Service Centre from the drop down list then enter your location. That will identify repair and warranty approved workshops:

https://www.swiftgroup.co.uk/find-a-dealer/type/repairer

Swift approve the use of all AWS agents for annual servicing but that doesn't equate to automatic approval for repairs and warranty matters. They must carry specific Swift repair and warranty work approval. Ask your AWS workshop what their approval extends to or it may be on their website if they have one.

Thanks for your help. Its on the Swift website, so I'll ask the AWS the extent of what they are able to do.

1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

I asked my dealer about the extended warranty. “Don’t waste your money” was the response. Apparently, in the event of a possible claim, it’s a case of take your caravan to dealer, dealer inspects it and you take it away again, dealer then sends warranty request to insurance company, dealer then awaits authorisation from insurer which is in no way a certainty. Apparently my dealer has had more than a few issues trying to get authorisations, the insurers trying all sorts “wriggles” to get out of honouring the policy.

I did look at the extended warranty cost. It is £24 a month, so  just under £300 a year. That’s considerably more than I pay for my car insurance! And, over three years that’s £900 which, to my mind, doesn’t offer enough value for my money. Yes a new fridge is nearly £1000 but any repairs (PCB for example) are considerably less than that.

I will probably “ring-fence” £1000 in premium bonds. That way I will have the money if I get an unexpected bill, if not I will have £1000 left at the end of year three, and I might just get a decent win :)

I have done exactly that for a fair few years on my cars and not had any nasty bills! (And kept my money and a couple of £50 wins) 

I could of course get my fingers well and truly burnt, but what are the chances?  I certainly don’t know, but it’s a risk I am prepared to take.

I don’t know where you got your prices for the extended warranty from?

Ours is £3.00 a month. That’s for the official Bailey one!

We did but don't now.

A combination of price and having to use  a days holiday up means we use a mobile service now. 

I personally think we get s better job done for less money. 

37 minutes ago, PR1 said:

I don’t know where you got your prices for the extended warranty from?

Ours is £3.00 a month. That’s for the official Bailey one!

Dont know how anyone could do it for just £3 per month! That’s only £36 a year.

I got the price from the MBG website which is linked to from Baileys website See here!

I would be very grateful for details of how you got it so cheap. I would sign up for that in an instant !! 

Edited by Mr Plodd

22 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Dont know how anyone could do it for just £3 per month! That’s only £36 a year.

I got the price from the MBG website which is linked to from Baileys website See here!

I would be very grateful for details of how you got it so cheap. I would sign up for that in an instant !! 

They have Bailey specific warranties in the Menu on the main Home page but you have to enquire for costs.

https://www.mbginsurance.co.uk/bailey-extended-warranties/

Edited by Legal Eagle
4 minutes ago, Legal Eagle said:

They have Bailey specific warranties in the Menu on the main Home page but you have to enquire for costs.

https://www.mbginsurance.co.uk/bailey-extended-warranties/

Thats the one I linked to ! 

641BACE9-9997-44CD-8DB4-F3748481F723.png

5 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Thats the one I linked to ! 

641BACE9-9997-44CD-8DB4-F3748481F723.png

No, you linked to the general lifetime warranty page. I linked to the Bailey warranty page. The contact form is at the bottom of that page. There is also a separate link to the page you referenced.

Edited by Legal Eagle

You linked to the below page. If you then go to the “Click here to purchase” button you get taken to the page in my previous post. 

Give it a try and see if its the same for you as I am using an iPad and sometimes some web page features don’t seem to appear.

66F10270-D663-4D6B-89E0-66DFAA4D643D.png

7 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

You linked to the below page. If you then go to the “Click here to purchase” button you get taken to the page in my previous post. 

Give it a try and see if its the same for you as I am using an iPad and sometimes some web page features don’t seem to appear.

66F10270-D663-4D6B-89E0-66DFAA4D643D.png

Scroll down further to the enquiry form link (in green) near the bottom to apply and get a price for Bailey warranties. The purchase link is for lifetime warranties not extended ones - read what it says with that link:

Please click here to purchase a lifetime warranty for your caravan or motorhome.

Edited by Legal Eagle

Do you mean as below? If so I have just completed the enquiry form. Not a very easy website to navigate is it? 

AD2C1EB2-F438-4711-BE15-C36590A1435F.png

You've got it. No it isn't easy but then it is a business so they try to direct you to the biggest earners first!

Glad my caravan came with a manufacturers 10 year body integrity warranty at no extra cost!

Edited by Legal Eagle