Shipping company

mickfishing

My daughter and her partner are looking at buying a van  ( swift conquerer 630 4 berth)  at the moment they don't have a tow car and mine isn't up to the job of towing the weight , the seller has suggested a delivery company who will deliver the van to their property they pay the delivery company who hold the funds until they are happy with the van and then the funds are forwarded to the seller , the delivery company is called U-ship inc has any one heard or had any dealings with them as i havent and thought maybe some one on the forum could help.

My advice. Do not pay anyone anything till you have seen and taken possession of the Caravan. 

I am very suspicious of what you post. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

It is an unusual and complicated way of buying a touring caravan. It sounds like they will part with money for a touring caravan they haven't seen and cannot tow. Any problems with the caravan would be difficult to resolve, and the money unlikely ever to be recovered. My advice is Dont.

Something a bit fishy Mick.

I'd want to see the van first and agree the deal. I would probably then arrange my own delivery company meeting them at collection and paying in cash...

I would recommend CADS caravan transport. From Wigan I believe.

Have they viewed the caravan at the seller’s address ? If not & price is well cheap then it will be another variation of the usual scam. If the advert was along the lines of “seller is away visiting his sick mother please forward funds & caravan will be delivered then it is a scam. Tell them to forget about this caravan & buy one the proper way. 

If the caravan is on eBay then report it as a scam. If you check new eBay listings in the morning you will often find all the first page are obvious scams. Scammers spam the sales platforms  with 100s of these sort of scams on a daily basis. 

That uship thing appears to be just a platform where individuals can offer services.  I would guess the scammer is using it to extract the money from the potential victim as described in the op. 

If you have a suspicious nature it is easy to work out what the scammer is doing here.  

Oh yes. & google for the trustpilot reviews of uship. Looks like the whole thing is a scam. 

Edited by Camperdom

I do not believe that 'Uship' is the actual delivery company. From what I can tell from a brief look at the website, it is just a way of putting customers in touch with contractors. I had something similar when I sold a classic car - the guy who bought it put the details on a website called Shiply and then transport companies bid for the work - he then selected the cheapest - and the transport still cost more than he paid me for the pile of rust that had sat unloved on my drive for about five years!!

As others have said, never buy a caravan without seeing it as it might not exist. There have been examples posted on CT before where photos have been lifted from Ebay, AutoTrader and even dealers websites that will make it look like a great van and everything seems genuine in email and phone calls - but then it never arrives, the emails and phone calls go unanswered and your money has disappeared. Buyer Beware !

I would hire a car or pick up.....then you can have a good look over the van before taking it home (or not). Much easier to reject the van at their premises rather when its at your home...Are you sure its a genuine sale? 

Edited by gtepete

Avoid it!

It is just the caravan equivalent of a common scam.

Check ebay and you will find loads of similar items that seem a good deal. When you contact the seller , who is always miles away, he will suggest this method of delivery.

If you actually ask to drive miles to view the item, the seller will dream up an excuse eg. works on an oil rig or a trawler so not at home etc.

Unless they can find someone who will visit the seller and tow it then if it is acceptable I would avoid it. Might be worth just saying they think that they may have found someone to tow it to their home and can they visit to check it out. If it is a scam then they will hear no more but in any event I would see it first before parting with any money. An alternative might be to find a local mobile engineer to check it out and then arrange for it to be collected with a bank transfer as the transporter company call to pick it up. 

Well I have passed all the advise and recommendations to the daughter and her partner i believe they are now looking for a van elsewhere thanks for all the help and advice you have given 

My Sister in law did something very similar with a van she bought sight unseen

Yes it was delivered with no problems, but it also had undisclosed damp and other issues that would have been picked up had they seen it first

2021 Swift Sienna Super 4SB