90 days abroad

Just a thought i had the 90 day in 180 in Europe  restrictions can i go to France for a month come home to UK for a month  continue doing this for month about as will only have been in Europe for 90 days in any 180 or do i haven't be out of EU for 180 days constant after 90 days in EU would be interested in thoughts

From gov.uk ...........

Visas for short trips: you do not need one if you’re a tourist

If you’re a tourist, you do not need a visa for short trips to EU countries, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein. You can stay for up to 90 days in any 180-day period.

If you visit more than one of these countries within a 180-day period, check that you do not spend more than 90 days in total across all the countries you visit. That’s because most of these countries apply the 90-day limit as a group.

There are different rules for Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus and Romania. They each have their own separate 90-day limits. The time you spend in other countries does not affect how long you can spend in each of these countries without a visa.

You may need a visa or permit to stay for longer, or to study, work or travel for business. Check the travel advice for each country you’re visiting for more information.

It is I understand a rolling 180 days so in any 180 day period you cannot have been there more than 90. That would mean that on any day you were checked, they could go back 180 days and you would have to have been there no more than 90 days in that period. 

I believe it is a rolling system, so it is possible as by the time you go for your fourth month the first month should start to be void. As in if your 4th month started 181 days after your first day of first month, it should drop off, if that makes sense. Probably completely wrong, but someone will give a better answer I guess.

If every month were 30 days you could do exactly what you say but if next year Boris said we are having three  February's and you had those at home (!) you might be in trouble:D

3 hours ago, myone said:

Just a thought i had the 90 day in 180 in Europe  restrictions can i go to France for a month come home to UK for a month  continue doing this for month about as will only have been in Europe for 90 days in any 180 or do i haven't be out of EU for 180 days constant after 90 days in EU would be interested in thoughts

1 month in 1 out would be perfect. Maybe it's more accurately 30 days in 30 out and I don't think you'd breach the 90 out of 180 days.

Yes rather than months they would have to be periods of 30days. After 6 lots of 30days in out in out in out you could look back at the previous 180days & see that you had total of 90 in & 90 out so you can repeat forever. 

For any date you are in the EU you need to count back 180 days, providing you have been in the EU for no more than 90 days in that period you are OK.

The 180 day period forever rolls forward, it’s not fixed. It takes a bit of getting your head round.

1. Think of the year as a very long ruler, with each Cm representing a day
  2. Colour in each Cm you are in the EU.
  3. Take another ruler that’s 180 Cm long.
  4. Overlay that ruler over the very long one.
  5. Provided that in the space the 180 Cm ruler covers, you have coloured in no more than 90 cm, you are OK. 

For every day you spend out of the EU the start date of the 180 day period moves on one day!

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

As others have pointed out! 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

2 hours ago, WispMan said:

As others have pointed out! 

I am well aware of that thank you, I have read the previous posts!

I was trying to give an easy to grasp explanation as to how to work out the 90 in the rolling 180 day period as that’s what seems to cause the confusion.

12 hours ago, Camperdom said:

Yes rather than months they would have to be periods of 30days. After 6 lots of 30days in out in out in out you could look back at the previous 180days & see that you had total of 90 in & 90 out so you can repeat forever. 

What’s the French for “hokey-cokey”?!! 
Seems to me that the more likely you are to go to Europe for long, or repeated, trips, the more  interest/attention you will give this.

Cant see it affecting me but if it did there are online calculators that help greatly with the multi trip issue particularly.

Thread drift ....

Am un-aware, so far, of any formal border issues with basic over-stayers on the 90 /180 ruling.

Has anyone as yet had there dusty Passport stamped & dates checked at a UK to EU Border crossing ?

The clocks ticking though as once the computerised ETIAS Border system & Visa requirement comes online things seem likely to tighten up overnight.

Have read many articles (mainly from Spain) that there are serious high level discussions ongoing  trying to amend or adjust this 90/180 stipulation to ease the many likely negative consequences.

M  

28 minutes ago, montesa said:

Thread drift ....

Am un-aware, so far, of any formal border issues with basic over-stayers on the 90 /180 ruling.

Has anyone as yet had there dusty Passport stamped & dates checked at a UK to EU Border crossing ?

M  

Yes. Entering France last September they were stamped and again when returning in October. That was on Eurotunnel.

My family in Spain have been over to UK several times in the last six months. They get stamped flying in to Spain EVERY time without fail and then again when they leave. This leave stamp is obviously very important or it looks like you overstayed. Family with Residencia obviously don't get stamped. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

We flew to Spain in November, passports were stamped on entering the terminal, then health declaration scanned. 

On return the exit stamp was given at the departure gate.  There were booths and a barrier with the officials there.

Edited by 664DaveS

Our passports were stamped at Ouistreham, Caen, both outward and return (with dates).

1 hour ago, WispMan said:

My family in Spain have been over to UK several times in the last six months. They get stamped flying in to Spain EVERY time without fail and then again when they leave. This leave stamp is obviously very important or it looks like you overstayed. Family with Residencia obviously don't get stamped. 

Likewise experience here. We visited France in September and Copenhagen just before Christmas. On both occasions our passports were stamped by the border agencies at the continental arrival and departure points with the dates. 

I would advise anyone travelling to the EU to check carefully that their passport is date stamped on arrival and departure to avoid any issues that could arrive if not stamped. 

I do wonder if, as time goes on, those checking U.K. visitors entering the EU are going to get a calculator out to check the 90 in 180 day rule has been broken? It could be rather time consuming. I would imagine the system will be computerised but at present the checking of passports both France and Denmark entry/exit points appears to be entirely manual. 

When we returned Hook-Harwich last Sept the customs walla in the newly erected customs post counted the days from the entry stamps to ensure we had not gone over 90. It was exactly 90. He seemed disappointed :D.

I would expect the Dutch to be more focused than the French though but reading the online expat Brits in France spaces does indicate that people are getting fined for overstaying just by a few days. 

It gets worse though. Later on this yr or possibly now early next yr the ETIAS visa waiver thing starts along with personal biometric checks which will apparently require everybody out of car at checkin. 

Thanks for updates & info on Passport stamping - mmmmmm

We have been out to Lanzarote (Spain & stated as a Schengen area) twice in mid Autumn, usual scan of Passports on entry only but no stamping - I do wonder if it was Computer recorded. 

Seems EU Border control is though getting up to speed on mainland & seems there will be trouble ahead. 

Oh for the good old days of ...... [ Content deleted

M

The Azores, Madeira (both Portugal), and the Canary Islands (Spain) are special members of the EU and part of the Schengen Zone even though they are located outside the European continent.

There are five EU members that have not joined the Schengen zone: Ireland – which still maintains opt-outs and Romania, Bulgaria, Croatia, and Cyprus – that are seeking to join soon.

Edited by Legal Eagle

We have only left UK once, to Cyprus last October.

You had to complete an online Cyprus Flight Pass and  both this and our Covid pass were both checked at  airport check in and on arrival.

Passport was stamped on way in and out.

If you go over your 90 day allowance by just one day you will never be able to apply for residency in France.

I was told this by a couple at a caravan site in France who were in the process of buying a property and applying for carte de sejour.

How did this happen ? I recall we could travel & live in France for as long as we liked. Why have things gone backwards like this ?

11 minutes ago, Camperdom said:

How did this happen ? I recall we could travel & live in France for as long as we liked. Why have things gone backwards like this ?

Brexit. No longer a member of the EU. No longer allowed to travel for as long as we liked.