Twin Axle Wheel lock advice

J9DWY

Hi helpers, you will see a lot of me in coming days, going to purchase a caravan on Sunday (16/01/22) and it comes with Hitchcock but no wheel clamp, Van will be stored on driveway until storage space come available. 

In any case I want the best lock I can find. The Caravan is a Elddis Buccaneer Schooner 2006 Twin Axle.

I look forward to the influx :Thankyou:

I recommend the AL-KO. They're pricey but by far the best, and you can sometimes pick them up cheaper on Ebay.

You will need to check which ' lozenge / insert as they're caravan wheel specific.

15 minutes ago, Dave Capiro owner said:

I recommend the AL-KO. They're pricey but by far the best, and you can sometimes pick them up cheaper on Ebay.

You will need to check which ' lozenge / insert as they're caravan wheel specific.

that's the locks my dad has on his bailey but its a lot newer I assumed it wouldn't have that option on a older van?

8 minutes ago, J9DWY said:

that's the locks my dad has on his bailey but its a lot newer I assumed it wouldn't have that option on a older van?

They started in 2006, if your van has a receiver then they will make a lock for it.

3 minutes ago, Dave Capiro owner said:

They started in 2006, if your van has a receiver then they will make a lock for it.

I have asked for a close up pick, although I found my dads a nightmare! would always set the van on the pitch and the receiver would be on the tyre valve ever time! haha

Our friends that have have the same caravan, they have Winterhoff BPW diamond kit fitted from new. Hitch and wheel locks.

I use Buldog Euroclamp Gold standard. I have two one for each side (single axil), also Purple line Torpedo FLL100 steady locks.

Our Daughter and Son-in-law uses a Nemesis.

It is all down to personal choice, I don't like faffing around turning the wheels to line up for an Al Ko wheel lock.

Nemesis Ultra is my wheel lock of choice.  No need to align up.

Some Insurance Companies require a chassis mounted lock and will not accept the Nemesis though.

You should also check your Insurance to see whether they require one wheel lock or two for the twin axle.

34 minutes ago, David P said:

Our friends that have have the same caravan, they have Winterhoff BPW diamond kit fitted from new. Hitch and wheel locks.

I use Buldog Euroclamp Gold standard. I have two one for each side (single axil), also Purple line Torpedo FLL100 steady locks.

Our Daughter and Son-in-law uses a Nemesis.

It is all down to personal choice, I don't like faffing around turning the wheels to line up for an Al Ko wheel lock.

25 minutes ago, hp100425ev said:

Nemesis Ultra is my wheel lock of choice.  No need to align up.

Some Insurance Companies require a chassis mounted lock and will not accept the Nemesis though.

You should also check your Insurance to see whether they require one wheel lock or two for the twin axle.

Points noted, thank-you 

The next thing you will have to think about is how are you going to fit twin wheel locks on a TA.  I am assuming that in 2006, the Bucc's weren't fitted with E&P? I can thoroughly recommend Lock n' Level, having used it for 6 years on TA vans in the past, but must admit that E&P is more than worth the investment if it's affordable.  It just makes it SO easy.

VW Touareg Escape towing a 2018 Knaus Starclass 695

40 minutes ago, richardandros said:

The next thing you will have to think about is how are you going to fit twin wheel locks on a TA.  I am assuming that in 2006, the Bucc's weren't fitted with E&P? I can thoroughly recommend Lock n' Level, having used it for 6 years on TA vans in the past, but must admit that E&P is more than worth the investment if it's affordable.  It just makes it SO easy.

E&P? I’m a noob but assume it’s to do with the built in receiver for AL-KO ones?

E & P is a hydraulic levelling system?

5 hours ago, David P said:

E & P is a hydraulic levelling system?

Correct. Makes fitting AL-KO wheel locks a doddle on a twin axle - pain in the butt otherwise. But an expensive option, so Lock 'n' Level air bag is next best option. Much better than messing around with jacks. Using a jack can be particularly difficult if motor movers have obscured where you want to attach AL-KO jack brackets. If you can't fit the jack brackets you are looking at under axle jacking where it becomes very difficult to correctly locate the jack.

Under no circumstances be tempted to jack the van up just using the chassis rails.

Edited by KnausCol

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

8 hours ago, J9DWY said:

………..the built in receiver for AL-KO ones?

We had a 2008 Buccaneer and it had a BPW chassis not an AL-KO and it will be the same for a 2006 model. 

It had receivers in place for wheel locks of the type shown on our Schooner below which needed a much finer wheel to lock alignment than AL-KO’s do. 

C66455F1-6F1B-4E95-88F2-6B939F6EA61D.jpeg.63ea153760ffd81d73847b5e56921f66.jpeg

Stay safe ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

9 hours ago, KnausCol said:

Correct. Makes fitting AL-KO wheel locks a doddle on a twin axle - pain in the butt otherwise. But an expensive option, so Lock 'n' Level air bag is next best option. Much better than messing around with jacks. Using a jack can be particularly difficult if motor movers have obscured where you want to attach AL-KO jack brackets. If you can't fit the jack brackets you are looking at under axle jacking where it becomes very difficult to correctly locate the jack.

Under no circumstances be tempted to jack the van up just using the chassis rails.

My dad never uses both, pretty sure carven club were happy with one, yeah it’s a hassle trying to get them to line up. I’ll have a look at the airbag setup. 
thank you

7 hours ago, Griff said:

We had a 2008 Buccaneer and it had a BPW chassis not an AL-KO and it will be the same for a 2006 model. 

It had receivers in place for wheel locks of the type shown on our Schooner below which needed a much finer wheel to lock alignment than AL-KO’s do. 

Ah ok, I’ve requested a picture of a close up today to see if it has that. Would U recommend that lock or just go for a another option because of the small alignment gap?

Perhaps I did not make it clear. Our friend's Bucc has BPW, same as Griff's image, also the E & P system.

But that's drifting away from the op post. If his new purchase has BPW or Al Ko, it will be down to his choice and whatever his insurance requires.

I have even used motorcycle chain locks, in the past (1 on each wheel) and it did not affect my policy cover. All he needs to do is ask them when insuring the caravan. 

57 minutes ago, J9DWY said:

……Would U recommend that lock or just go for a another option because of the small alignment gap?

My alignment problem was minimised as I had a mover as an aid, very awkward without a mover.

With the insurer at the time I only needed to fit one so that was a help.

Other than that well recommended and in the same league as the AL-KO lozenges, probably as good as you can get for a BPW.

20 hours ago, J9DWY said:

……..The Caravan is a Elddis Buccaneer Schooner 2006 Twin Axle.

Just a tip if I may J9DWY.

Look carefully at the side aluminium body at the 4 corners of the N/S side window ahead of the door.

These models were prone to cracks emanating from the corners of the window.

A number of us on here had the problem and it is very expensive to put right.

An extreme example below.

B37E9E4E-E938-404B-9D55-BF10280A8747.jpeg.688843d15a5ceae939e8183f9520f518.jpeg

26 minutes ago, Griff said:

Just a tip if I may J9DWY.

Look carefully at the side aluminium body at the 4 corners of the N/S side window ahead of the door.

These models were prone to cracks emanating from the corners of the window.

A number of us on here had the problem and it is very expensive to put right.

An extreme example below.

B37E9E4E-E938-404B-9D55-BF10280A8747.jpeg.688843d15a5ceae939e8183f9520f518.jpeg

Thank you for the heads up 🙏🏻

1 hour ago, David P said:

Perhaps I did not make it clear. Our friend's Bucc has BPW, same as Griff's image, also the E & P system.

But that's drifting away from the op post. If his new purchase has BPW or Al Ko, it will be down to his choice and whatever his insurance requires.

I have even used motorcycle chain locks, in the past (1 on each wheel) and it did not affect my policy cover. All he needs to do is ask them when insuring the caravan. 

Yes I’m going to look at insurance tonight and find out the criteria, I was thinking chains as a temporary measure if I’m not sure on wheel lock, if I come away with the van it will be late afternoon by the time we are home so if I don’t buy one before I travel I need a temp. 
Thanks for all your help

47 minutes ago, Griff said:

My alignment problem was minimised as I had a mover as an aid, very awkward without a mover.

With the insurer at the time I only needed to fit one so that was a help.

Other than that well recommended and in the same league as the AL-KO lozenges, probably as good as you can get for a BPW.

Thanks griff 

We use a Nemisis Ultra which is worth a discount on our insurance. The Wraith looks comparable as an alternative. Possibly two different types would help as it would make any thieves job that bit more difficult.

11 hours ago, Griff said:

Do you or anyone have a picture of the receiver without lock on? Seller has sent me a pic but can’t see behind wheels very well so if I send them what I’m looking for it might help?

TIA

23 hours ago, J9DWY said:

Hi helpers, you will see a lot of me in coming days, going to purchase a caravan on Sunday (16/01/22) and it comes with Hitchcock but no wheel clamp, Van will be stored on driveway until storage space come available. 

In any case I want the best lock I can find. The Caravan is a Elddis Buccaneer Schooner 2006 Twin Axle.

I look forward to the influx :Thankyou:

I have two Nemesis ultra wheel locks that I'd be willing to sell.

Two keys for each and still have the carry cases :-)

Send me a private message with an offer if your interested....or anybody else for that matter.

Edited by charlieboy2608

1 hour ago, charlieboy2608 said:

I have two Nemesis ultra wheel locks that I'd be willing to sell.

Two keys for each and still have the carry cases :-)

Send me a private message with an offer if your interested....or anybody else for that matter.

I’ll have a look at what lock it is later, send me a PM with a price I hate making offers I don’t even know what they are worth lol also it will remind me

19 minutes ago, J9DWY said:

I’ll have a look at what lock it is later, send me a PM with a price I hate making offers I don’t even know what they are worth lol also it will remind me

When you have identified what these are and how much they are new feel free to put in an offer-I won't be offended.

14 hours ago, Griff said:

@Griff

Griff - a pic of the receiver do you have one? trying to get seller to get the right picture but they arn't getting what I mean

5 hours ago, charlieboy2608 said:

Phone glitched? Can’t delete this repeated post - please ignore

Is this the hole for the lock? I’ve found the 2006 brochure and it says it’s fitted with that BPW axle. I’ll just have to get a general wheel lock for now until I get the van, if I bring it home that is.

I tempted to get a purple line Gemini that bolts both axles not just one. 

FF5FD885-9C16-4418-9436-AB00C12FEC11.jpeg

Looking at that pick more, does the BPW work differently to the AL-KO? I don’t see a thread like the AL-KO

Edited by J9DWY
Duplicate