RCD Tripping.

tanisla2

Came to use the outside 240 plug socket on are 2011 Valencia Mk1 no power!

the RCD that feeds the sockets and other 240 outlets keeps tripping.

Study the wiring diagram, not a lot of help, so for after isolating the 240 volt supply  remove the 6  wires out of the now isolated RCD, replace them one at a time to find what’s causing the trip, eventually find the wire that’s causing the problem.

it turns out it the mains supply to the fridge but the fridges turned off so why?

Eventually I remove the lead that feeds the fridge and it’s the lead with the moulded plug on that’s causing the problem, into the garage find replacement lead, all now back together problem solved.

No damage to the plug and lead so it must be a Earth leakage inside the moulded plug causing the problem.

Wow 

That's the first I've heard of a moulded plug being 'leaky' , did you check for any water   droplets  or other contamination near the pins of the plug which  may have been the cause?

I may be teaching my granny to suck eggs but  it could be several slightly leaky devices rather than just one culprit that tripped the 30mA RCD , did you try  reconnecting all except the fridge? to check they didn't  trip the RCD.

Most Installation  testers  i.e Meggar. fluke Metrel  e.t.c only test  the RCDs  by inducing a a known leakage , but you can buy or rent an earth leakage clamp meter for about £45,  a bit dear for someone who isn't  using it all the time.

You can also measure the leakage current directly with a multimeter but its not  recommended as it involves removing  the earth connection  which is potentially lethal if done  incorrectly and the earth is not replaced correctly and then the earth bond re-tested with an approved tester.

hopefully you have found  the fault and cured it . strange fault though 

I trie the lead later on in a stand alone RCD and it tripped, 

I made sure there was no moisture on either the socket or around the plug.

Im going to Mega the faulty lead today.

The only time I have seen anything like this is due to a bad connection causing the plug to heat up and carbonise this then reduces the insulation factor in the plug, without a RCD protection that can go on to be very dangerous and even start a fire.  You may have been very lucky. 

The fridge on mains only draws about 160watts,  so a 5 amp fused plug shouldn’t get warm.

I’ve had a meger on the plug lead now, there’s a short between live on the plug and earth,  now is it the plug ( internally) or the lead?

More investigation reqd.

Any damage to the lead is likely to be fairly obvious.  It is most likely to be a loose connection or stray strands of wire in one of the connectors.

• 3 weeks later...

Tanisla2 thanks for the feedback on the plug and  lead  fault , that's a really strange fault , first I've  heard  of in forty years of being in the electrical/electronics  industry. 

Glad you have tracked the problem down.

New plug and lead and you should be sorted.