Leisure battery onboard charging

John cunniff

Hi, I have a 2011 hobby excellent 

Where is the trickle charger located andis there a gauge that shows me what's happening

Hi John, Merry Christmas!

It seems no-one knows the answer or are not interested. Although I don't have knowledge of your caravan, I would assume the charger (if there's one fitted, as a lot of Hobbys aren't fitted with a leisure battery) would be in a unit with all the fuses and MCBs.

And if there was a gauge I'm sure it would be easily visible.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, but maybe someone else will come along now that I've bumped your post a bit.

I think you may have no charger and no battery. Unless you can find them. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

On 23/12/2021 at 14:17, John cunniff said:

Hi, I have a 2011 hobby excellent 

Where is the trickle charger located andis there a gauge that shows me what's happening

How long have you had the van ?

Does it have a battery fitted , or a space for one i.e. a battery box with external or internal access ?

Early Hobbies tended not to be fitted with a battery or charger ( they were optional extras ), this was due to the caravanning habits for the main market for them mainly always being on sites and not going off grid, so neither were required, consequently the majority of the lights run off 12v AC, with a couple of 24v AC, they also had a small 12v DC circuit which fed such as motors, pumps, fans and a few selected lights.

This 12 DC system had a feed from the car which allowed the use of lights, and pumps for comfort stops only.

If you have a battery factory or dealer fitted fitted I would expect the battery charger to be either part of the PSU, or as a separate unit elsewhere.

Most likely Hobby caravans from 2011 would not have a battery installed at the factory and if a Hobby dealer installed a battery it would have a very expensive Autark Pack to charge it.

All batteries must be vented to the exterior of the caravan, even sealed batteries...

1 hour ago, JayTea said:

All batteries must be vented to the exterior of the caravan, even sealed batteries...

However, the Germans typically factory fit GEL technology batteries within the habitation area, without dedicated external venting. 

The spaces used, like under bed lockers are of course floor vented just as I suspect UK vans need to be.

Edited by JTQ

• WispMan changed the title to Leisure battery onboard charging