Mayfly classic 25 '1996

Ncb2734

Just had my 12n 12s converted to 13pin electrics. 

Prior to this the caravan ran off either mains or battery. 

Now however it won't run off either, only 2 main interior lights and the fridge come on. 

It does not matter whether I set Main switch  to battery.  Nothing comes on. 

The work was done a few days ago by the same guy that fitted my witter tow bar.. 

Any ideas. Bit hard to prove everything OK prior to new electrics fitted. 

All fuses good.   I take it he has mixed a wire somewhere? 

With only the two front lights and fridge, I guess you are on EHU only and you've lost 12V. Fitting a 13 pin plug to the caravan should make no difference. 

I think he has made a mistake somehow. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

I can't understand why changing to a 13 pin plug would change anything on the mains side, all he has done is in effect replace the 2 existing plugs with one. If your interior lights are mains powered, you have mains electric if they are working. Does your van have a battery and charger system. I can't remember what was fitted in Avondales of that age, suspect your 13 pin plug is not the problem and it is just a coincidence that you have problem with internal electrics. To check the 13 pin plug, I would connect to towcar and see what works, if all the lights , indicators etc work I think you can rule out the 13 pin plug being the problem.

Thanks for comments so far.

1 It does have a battery charging system.

2 when plugged into car only fridge and exterior towing lights work(front, sife and usual rear lights) nothing interior.

3 when plugged into mains only 2 interior lights work and fridge.

4 MK 6 switch panel nothing happens whether set ot car or battery. Nor if plugged into mains.  Although trip switches work for main trip and light trip but nothing for sockets.  I can hear a relay separate to RCB box.

5 guy that rewired is coming back to check it. Found an old circuit diagram for him when he comes around.. 

My first impression is that the car has probably only been wired to provide a feed for road lights. It is a common problem when car electricians wire caravans and do not consider providing a feed for all the caravan's domestic circuits. I am guessing that the car is not the same one that previously worked perfectly with your caravan.

Below is a basic circuit layout, not showing the fuses.

It appears that pin 10 is connected for the fridge, but is it connected to the car's alternator, or just via the 'ignition on' circuit?

On a 1996 Avondale the front dinette lights will be powered directly from the 240V mains circuit and so are unaffected by the 12V wiring. 

Get the car and caravan wiring checked by a qualified caravan electrician.

image.png

image.png

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Sorry it's a poor quality image but below is the wiring diagram for a 1996 Avondale

image.png

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

I think the car only powers the road lights and the fridge, so in my view the 13 pin plug is OK. The interior 12 volt will be powered by the battery, which is charged via the mains hook up and a battery charger, so in my view there is a problem with the 12 volt side from the battery charger, could be simply that the kettle type connector in the charger has worked loose or fallen out , in which case just needs replacing. Other scenario could be the charger has reached the end of it's days, if it was the  original then it is 25 years old, so I would be looking to get the charger checked by an experienced caravan technician, you have mains electric as the front inside lights are working.

Further thought, it may be a problem with the control panel , again if it is original it may need attention , I would get it checked, and it may be possible to get it refurbished or repaired if it proves faulty.

19 hours ago, Woodsieboy said:

I think the car only powers the road lights and the fridge, so in my view the 13 pin plug is OK. The interior 12 volt will be powered by the battery,

While accepting there may well be a problem with the mains charger for the onboard caravan battery, there should also be a permanent feed from the towcar (Pin 9) that allows the car battery to run the caravan's domestic circuits in the event of a caravan battery failure. All of our caravans had the option to select the 12V source, providing (in the later models) the habitation relay had not been operated by running the car's engine.

Hello Gordon

You are  right, given the age of the caravan, I seem to remember we had similar switches that toggled between car and caravan batteries on a previous Swift and Abbey, although if there was a previous live feed via the OP's 12N and 12S I would expect it to feature in the 13 pin plug also, until the OP has it checked  and gets back to us it is difficult to comment further. 

Before the electrics were converted the caravan ran perfectly on mains supply.  I recently bought a brand new 110ah leisure battery as there wasnt one in the caravan.  The battery powered everything fine.  The mk6 panel worked fine switching from mains to battery. 

The issue has only risen since the 12s, 12n was converted to 13 pin.

The switch panel does not illuminate when switched on. I feel that the loom has not been wired correctly to allow battery power or mains power

The guy that did it fitted my witter tow bar and electrics to my mondeo.  He does it professionally for a living. 

He is coming back to check everything.

Thanks for the wiring diagram pictures.. 

Hi Ncb2734

Did you have your car converted to 13 pin or was it a new towbar and electrics, and then convert the caravan, if so what was your set up before? Presumably you had a car with 12N and 12S sockets.

On 24/12/2021 at 11:56, Woodsieboy said:

Hi Ncb2734

Did you have your car converted to 13 pin or was it a new towbar and electrics, and then convert the caravan, if so what was your set up before? Presumably you had a car with 12N and 12S sockets.

Brand new witter towbar with 13 pin factory electrics(mk4. facelift mondeo).  caravan had 12s 12n but someone had cut off the 12s socket for some reason. Therefore I  got caravan electrics converted to 13pin to match the car.  ( this is our first caravan )

So in your original set up only the 12N was being used, the fact you have  a problem now that 12S is being used makes me wonder why a previous owner cut the 12S cable off, did they have  a similar problem?

Second thought is that the fitter has wired towbar for current caravans and wiring needs to be different for your van.

In your original post you said it was working OK, was that on your car ?

Has the battery simply gone flat, and the rewiring just incidental?

ie, Did the mains charge the battery before the rewiring?

Or was the once fully charged new battery, alone powering the 12 VDC system till it drained away?

I seem to recall that there was a change to the wiring/pin numbers some years ago, if this caravan falls into that date perhaps the technician has used the newer wiring diagram by mistake. 

• 2 weeks later...

The guy came back today and has found the problem.

0n 12s and 12n each one has a negative / earth cable which feeds each separate circuit.

13 pin only has 1 negative / earth so he split it to feed the 2 being replaced. This caused the issue. As split feed fed both  circuits

He is returning to fit a relay in the circuit which will feed the circuits  separately. Being activated when car electices are on

And this was a "professional"?

8 hours ago, Ncb2734 said:

The guy came back today and has found the problem.

0n 12s and 12n each one has a negative / earth cable which feeds each separate circuit.

13 pin only has 1 negative / earth so he split it to feed the 2 being replaced. This caused the issue. As split feed fed both  circuits

He is returning to fit a relay in the circuit which will feed the circuits  separately. Being activated when car electices are on

13 pin has 3x earth terminals

image.jpeg.dab2e544f0cb747b2e050cb3db2b90f0.jpeg

pin 3 for road lights

pin 11 for fridge

Pin 13 for constant supply. 

I would be dubious of your man’s abilities 

I agree with LITW as all this info is readily available with Google and so they should know if they are working in that trade. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

9 hours ago, Lost in the wilderness said:

13 pin has 3x earth terminals

The 7 pin N had one earth and 7 pin S had two earths also totalling 3.

I suspect the OP may be misunderstanding the issue because negative/earth does not "feed".