Electric usage

wigelywoo

On a 10am ehu what would usage be expected. Heating 4hrs including water, fridge, battery charger and lights.  Looking for expected kw over 24 hrs. 

Can you please give the wattage and how many hours that device will be on? Then the kW usage can be calculated. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

With a 10Amp supply, you would be able to use your heating on a 2Kw setting, so the weather and your personal need for heat would determine the consumption. Some people leave their heating on all day even if they are out all day. A friend of ours has the door open all day, but the heating is on, trying to heat the whole caravan site! You could consume 20 kWh for heating alone if you wanted to. You didn't mention TV in your OP and a colour TV consumes quite a bit. The answer to the question is - anything up to about 30 kWh is perfectly possible. The maximum would be 24hrs X 2Kw = 48 kWh.  People think these figures are silly, but I know from friends running a site that these are perfectly possible.

The 10 ampere EHU only limits the total current that you can draw, regardless how long it is used for.  This limits you to a total load of about 2.4 kilowatts.  If 10 amperes are used for 24 hours then you would consume about 58 kilowatt hours.

Caravan heaters can commonly operate at 500, 1,000 or 2,000 watts.  Water heaters are commonly 800 watts and refrigerators about 150 watts.  Since all of these are controlled by thermostats you cannot be certain when they will switch on or off.  If both the heating at 2,000 watts and the water heater are on then there they are likely to exceed 10 amperes when they both call for heat.  If you set your heater to 1,000 watts then you should be safe provided that you do not plug in any heavy loads to your mains sockets.

• 2 weeks later...

A MCB is two devices in one, a magnetic trip, and a thermal trip, the thermal bit takes time, and the magnetic bit needs at least 3 times the current of the thermal bit, so you can likely draw 15 amp for a short time without tripping, lighting alone can draw quite a lot of power, but often it uses 12 volt so the battery acts as a damper.

I noted with my caravan I could put a 25 amp load on the 12 volt with lighting alone. At 230 volt this is only just over an amp, but insulation in the caravan, if tungsten, fluorescent, or LED lighting, and type of battery charger means there can be a huge difference caravan to caravan. 

However I lived in a caravan back in the 90's and found 6 amp not enough but 10 amp is ample, today BS 7671 says minimum of 16 amp so now not an issue. 

And does this answer the OP's question? 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion