Tv /DVD Inverter

Sonar

I am thinking of a 240 volt tv that will require an inverter.

I have a  12 tv but the sound  is total rubbish.

so what size investor would be best for a tv and dvd only please.

Given internally most TVs work on 12V or even less the supply voltage will make no difference to the sound quality, that is down to manufacturing constraints (thin cases etc) and costs.

If your 12V has a headphone socket you could run a suitable cable from the TV to your caravan radio (most have a 3.5mm audio input) and use the more powerful amp and better speakers of the radio.

The tv  speakers are not very good hence the sound is extremely poor and screeching.

the tv is 22 volt and 240 volt.

so I will replace it with a better tv.  Hence needing an inverter .

most 12 volt tv ,s have very small speakers.

Most TV’s have small poor speakers. Full stop. Manufacturers want to upsell soundbar systems that have larger profit margins. 

Edited by Flatcoat888

My TV has rubbish speakers and it's 230v 

I feed the TV sound into a Betron Bluetooth speaker using a 3.5mm jack to jack cable.

Works well and I can use it for music etc.

Much cheaper than a new inverter/television 😉

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Betron-Bluetooth-Wireless-Smartphones-Computers-Black/dp/B0776LHP95/ref=mp_s_a_1_29_sspa?

37 minutes ago, Sonar said:

The tv  speakers are not very good hence the sound is extremely poor and screeching.

the tv is 22 volt and 240 volt.

so I will replace it with a better tv.  Hence needing an inverter .

most 12 volt tv ,s have very small speakers.

Take into account the losses of an inverter and the toll it can take on battery capacity when off grid, a better option may be a dedicated 12v tv.

Just seen this tv is this one I should put on the. Short list 

CELLO C3220F Traveller 

Be aware, this TV may be sold as 'HD Ready' but it does NOT have a full HD screen panel. It is rated 1366x768 whereas full HD requires 1920x1080.

An external amplified speaker has been suggested - they also take power which needs to be taken into account if you are off grid. Notice also that you may need some sort of power conversion if said speaker does not run off 12V.

Running a cable can be fun. If you choose to use Bluetooth to get sound from the TV to the speaker make sure you get a decent quality sender with low latency else you will have sound sync issues which believe me are VERY annoying.

The Betron has an internal battery and charges from USB,  I just connect mine to a USB socket when in use the battery stays charged as it runs from the USB.

Cello TV don't get very good reviews for their sound quality 😯

For normal caravan use I would not worry about the difference between 1080/720 resolution (unless your TV is 50inch+).

We have a 4K 65" OLED TV at home, but the only way I can tell if it's running at full resolution is to walk right up to it. 

In places that sell TVs you end up peering at them from a couple of feet away and at this distance you will immediately see the difference on larger screens. This is a false environment compounded by TVs having a built in "Display Mode" which deliberately makes the picture unnaturally vibrant so it looks good in a bright store surrounded by other unnaturally vibrant pictures. 

Actually, pound for pound a 720 screen can often deliver a smoother viewing experience because the processor isn't working as hard with the benefit of also having reduced power consumption. 

With regard to sound quality the laws of Physics limit what you can do in a tiny space on a small budget. 

In our previous caravan I fed the earphone output into a £35 2.1 PC speaker system (I used a dc/dc converter to bypass the 240V AC input to give it the 9v it needed.

The result was excellent. 

We didn't hook into the Swift Elegance sound system because it is truly terrible and I also like the sound to come from somewhere near the picture. 

As for inverters, a good quality pure sine wave unit will work fine, but note, even 300W examples can have cooling fans which can be quite noisey and so where you put one matters. 

I have used one before with no issues, but we only go off-grid very occasionally. 

For our new caravan I may bite the bullet and by an Avtex TV; not that I think they are brilliant, just niche focused with all the features we want. Decent  competition in smaller TVs (32" or less) is getting hard to find. 

I definitely won't be buying a soundbar. 

I will use a 12V car audio 2.1 amplifier and suitably aesthetically looking /sounding speakers. 

we use one of these with our 240v Curry's Logik TV/DVD combo. Although its only 22" it does have full 1080p HD video and the piccy is pretty good but the sound is rubbish.

Majority Bowfell Bluetooth Soundbar for TV and Computer | 50-WATT with powerful stereo sound | Multi-Connection : Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo - it's got a 12v input which can run from the van's 12v supply. Its also small enough to fit into the TV carry bag with the TV

It plugs into the headphone socket in the TV an gives adequate volume and is far better than the TV sound. It's also got bluetooth and an optical input if your telly is posh enough to have one (ours doesn't)

We can run the TV from a cheapo Maplin 150 watt inverter which I got from a "bargain basket" about 15 years ago if we decide to go off-grid.

We've tried using a bluetooth transmitter but it's not been everso successful and the delay between video and sound can be a bit irritating

Edited by alicanto grande

32 minutes ago, Ukzero said:

For our new caravan I may bite the bullet and by an Avtex TV

Our old Avtex that was supplied as standard kit with our Bailey Unicorn had a feature whereby you could send the sound to the caravan’s radio speakers instead of it’s own.  We had one of the radio presets set to the Avtex and for DVD playback /  films on tv etc. it made a huge difference.

Not sure that Avtex TVs still have that feature though.

1 hour ago, ReggiePerrin said:

Not sure that Avtex TVs still have that feature though.

Thanks for the info. 

As it happens I prefer to hardwire when it's possible and won't be an issue for me either way. 

1 hour ago, alicanto grande said:

we use one of these with our 240v Curry's Logik TV/DVD combo. Although its only 22" it does have full 1080p HD video and the piccy is pretty good but the sound is rubbish.

Majority Bowfell Bluetooth Soundbar for TV and Computer | 50-WATT with powerful stereo sound | Multi-Connection : Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo - it's got a 12v input which can run from the van's 12v supply. Its also small enough to fit into the TV carry bag with the TV

It plugs into the headphone socket in the TV an gives adequate volume and is far better than the TV sound. It's also got bluetooth and an optical input if your telly is posh enough to have one (ours doesn't)

We can run the TV from a cheapo Maplin 150 watt inverter which I got from a "bargain basket" about 15 years ago if we decide to go off-grid.

We've tried using a bluetooth transmitter but it's not been everso successful and the delay between video and sound can be a bit irritating

Will the  AUX  cable go from the tv  headphones socket to the  marked live on the soundbar.

theses are the only connections we have on this 12 volt tv.

see image 

DEB3C1CE-0BB8-4636-951A-AD84BF9641BE.jpeg

3 hours ago, Sonar said:

Just seen this tv is this one I should put on the. Short list 

CELLO C3220F Traveller 

Not sure of the model number but we use a 22" CELLO TV/DVD and it works well on both 12 & 230 volts.

I have a 12 volt / 240 volt cello tv the picture is good the sound is more than poor.

so any recommendations on a 12 volt /240 volt tv that has a good sound is welcome .

large or small   

Edited by Sonar

17 minutes ago, Sonar said:

Will the  AUX  cable go from the tv  headphones socket to the  marked live on the soundbar

Depends on the inputs on the soundbar. 

Some have a 3.5mm socket, but many have RCA/phono sockets and you can buy a 3.5mm to phono adapter cable. 

Perhaps a pic of your soundbar connections if unsure? 

I do not have a sound bar yet  I have the headphone jack point on the tv 

so something that will without doubt connect to a 12 volt. / 240 sound bar would be o.k.

Looking at the range of connectors on your TV you could attach a soundbar that has, 

3.5mm socket - yes

RCA/Phono sockets - yes

HDMI might not necessarily work as TV out (ARC can be troublesome). 

Digital inputs (coax or optical) won't be much use to you. 

The problem with TVs is that they are great at accepting inputs, but have more limited output modes. 

Using the TV headphones out socket has the major advantage that the TV will control the volume from the the outset. 

5 minutes ago, Ukzero said:

Looking at the range of connectors on your TV you could attach a soundbar that has, 

3.5mm socket - yes

RCA/Phono sockets - yes

HDMI might not necessarily work as TV out (ARC can be troublesome). 

Digital inputs (coax or optical) won't be much use to you. 

The problem with TVs is that they are great at accepting inputs, but have more limited output modes. 

Using the TV headphones out socket has the major advantage that the TV will control the volume from the the outset. 

The last line is not necessarily true. We have a Philips 24" HD TV in the kitchen which has a headphone output but the headphone level is controlled within the menu system. Plugging headphones in does not mute the speakers.

Plugging something into our headphone socket mutes the speakers and but doesn't affect the capability of the TV remote to control the speaker volume from the soundbar or headphones..

The best and easiest way to test is to [lug in a set of headphones and see what happens - do the TV speakers mute and can you control the volume coming out of the headphones - if so almost any set of powered speakers or soundbar with a 3.5mm input should work

In the end, what works for some may not work for others but it really isn't all that complicated

The socketry shown in the photo above looks very similar, if not identical to ours except that we dont have a power input - its got a direct 240 volt cable.

So what I can gather so far is yes a soundbar will work connected to the headphone socket of my tv.

so I 

all I need do now then is find a. 12  volt. /240 volt option soundbar and everything should be o.k. The best of both worlds then 

4 hours ago, alicanto grande said:

How is it connected to your 12 volt system does it come with a cigar lighter socket fitting.

The TV is 240v and plugs either into a 240v socket when we are on mains or into the inverter when we aren't. The soundbar came with a 240v "wall wart" which we could use by plugging into the 240v socket, but as I've got a couple of 12v  cigar lighter to barrel plugs then we use a 12v outlet because its easier. (I never chuck away power supplies or odd power cables as they usually come in handy so I've usually got something that fits)

this is the sort of thing - DC Power Plug AUX Cigarette Lighter 12v to DC Plug 2.1mm 6026257011228 | eBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333783292388?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=7101533165274578&mkcid=2&itemid=333783292388&targetid=4584826055637456&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=&poi=&campaignid=412354546&mkgroupid=1299623041023876&rlsatarget=pla-4584826055637456&abcId=9300541&merchantid=87779&msclkid=f2ff8c0f589519905aededa4f300de7f

Just make sure that the plug barrel suits the soundbar  -  the one shown fits a 2.1mm jack, I'm not sure what size the soundbar is - I'll have a shufti tomorrow.

Amazon flog them as well, you might even get them from Halfords.

Even if I didn't have one, I'd make one up if necessary

Edited by alicanto grande

Have you been able to work out what one is required please.

just placed an order for a sound bar.