Retractable towbar

robertB

Got our new Ateca yesterday and it is has a factory fitted retractable towbar with the release button in the boot. the 13 pin socket is set into the hook. All looks nice and neat and chunky.

Has anyone had experience of this type of bar and are there any pitfalls that I should be aware of?

thanks.

Brother has similar in his Skoda kodiaq. Superb system. V neat. Pricey though.

I've got similar on my XC60,,excellent bit of kit. Not sure if your car is the same, but with mine, if the boot is left open for a set period, not sure exactly how long, then car goes into battery saving mode and towbar release button won't work. Boot has to be shut, car  locked, unlocked, reopened, then towbar can be released and manually lifted into locking position. Caught me out, and my brother.

Edited by madasaman

we have  had one  for 4 years now and so far so good. It was factory fitted , the removable tow bar we had before was getting too heavy for me but the  retractable one is so easy to use.

Similar thing with Volvo retractable tow bar. 
The only concern is the electrics are plugged in from the side, so you have to think about cable route to ensure enough for right turns but not to much for left turns. Sounds worse than it actually is

I thought of that with the cable as our previous car had the socket well underneath and the cable was too long even for that, I will just have to come up with something.

Good to know that they seem to be liked.  As said, a bit pricey but you can tell why.

Had a manual retractable type on a Mercedes and when stowed the ball ended upside down so if you used a conventional ball cover it filled with water. Had a fully electric retractable on a BMW which worked well but as said above, the socket was mounted onto the neck which needed care to route the cable properly.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

• WispMan changed the title to Retractable towbar

Had these on two X3s with no problems. There’s less room so you have to have the car and van pretty much in a straight line to hook up or unhook. If I left the boot open and pottered about and the car went into sleepy mode I just had to press the button twice, once to waken it and again to use it.

Sounds like the same system as my car, a great bit of kit and good value at about £600.

As mentioned above a conventional ball cover will hold water and, in my case, cause very bad rusting. I tried a few different preventative methods (which didn't work) but eventually found that the best thing to do is bin the cover and just coat the ball with vaseline before folding it back in. A quick wipe with meths and you're good to go. 

I've been doing that for a few years now and have been rust free.

No problem with mine, like the others it goes to sleep so shut and open the tailgate or select it on one of the front screens.

My socket follows it down on a separate bracket but I do like the ones mounted through the bar, don’t know how easy they are to replace though.

Have seen some that electrically release but you still need to pull it down to lock it Into position.

Ian

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.

Mine swings down almost into position and then just needs a bit of a tug to lock it then pull the switch again and push it backup till it locks away.

Very impressed

Had one on a Tiguan for 3 years now.

The ball will rust if precautions are not taken, I cover mine in grease when not in use and cover with a water tight ballon, some use a condom.

I still prefer a fixed bar, less to go wrong.

I've had one for 5 years on my Skoda Superb. All I do is keep the ball covered when folded (I use bubble wrap covered in electrical tape) and lubricate the pivot now and again to keep the drop-down action smooth.

The BMW electric one on my car is good.

No issues with cable length and the breakaway cable has a choice of positions.

I don't like the fact that the switch is in a cubby hole, so you have to open a door to get to it - not always convenient.

The clearance between ball and bumper as it stows is minimal- a thin ball cover touches the base of the bumper as it moves, so it goes to bed naked! No corrosion issues as yet (4 years old)

Our Tiguan has one, and its great.

I made the mistake of using an AL-KO ball cover that filled with water and rusted the surface while retracted. The material is VERY susceptible to surface rusting - even a few spots of rain leaves brown mottled finish.

Its also close to the bumper, so I always use the mover to hitch and unhitch, and make sure the bellows are fully extended, before detaching.

17 minutes ago, AlwynMike said:

The BMW electric one on my car is good.

No issues with cable length and the breakaway cable has a choice of positions.

I don't like the fact that the switch is in a cubby hole, so you have to open a door to get to it - not always convenient.

The clearance between ball and bumper as it stows is minimal- a thin ball cover touches the base of the bumper as it moves, so it goes to bed naked! No corrosion issues as yet (4 years old)

The one on my previous car (BMW520D) was the same, zero corrosion while I had it so possibly some sort of stainless? The one on the Mercedes I had previously rusted in days unless grease was applied when not in use.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Thanks, I will be keeping an eye on the corrosion factor now.

Up until the first use I will leave the black manufacturers paint on and see how it goes after that.