2022 Acadia orders cancelled

perksm

Was disappointed this week to get a call from Salop caravans telling us that our new Acadia will not be built as a result of supply problems. The factory that makes the shower trays and front and rear ends has burnt down. Coachman have taken the decision to rationalise the range.

Dealer has refunded my deposit today.

Gutted 

4 minutes ago, perksm said:

Was disappointed this week to get a call from Salop caravans telling us that our new Acadia will not be built as a result of supply problems. The factory that makes the shower trays and front and rear ends has burnt down. Coachman have taken the decision to rationalise the range.

Dealer has refunded my deposit today.

Gutted 

If you really want to change, there are a FEW new Swift and Bailey 2021 model caravans still left for sale on Caravan Finder, but no Coachman unfortunately

Our nice new Discovery Sport has also been cancelled for next year!
Dealer called. No proper explanation!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

I’m guessing your order was for the centre bathroom model, as it is the shower cubicles in this model which are specifically made by the plastic factory that had the fire. We have a 565 on order and spoke with our dealer on Thursday, who confirmed production is going ahead to schedule on non-affected models.

Seems very strange; you would've thought they'd have a search around for an alternative short term supplier at greater expense to continue sales-but maybe it was too expensive-plenty of companies out there making plastic mouldings surely-look at the motorbike industry-firms out there can make vaccuum formed anythings!

I think the problem could be making the mould as all moulds and the forms that moulds are made from, would have been destroyed. 

The manufacture of the moulds is a complex and expensive job. You need an assurance of long term production to justify the money and time. 

I know as my SIL makes motorbike parts from Carbon Fibre. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

It is as said certain models. My order for Acadia 575 is fine and on time. However a friend has a Laser wide version 575 and he was given option of Acadia shower unit or cancellation. Going for the Acadia shower unit.

From an email received from our dealer today all ranges will be using Acadia shower units. We’ve been offered the equivalent Acadia shower or cancellation. We’ve ordered the 620 Laser. Minor issue for a wonderful caravan

On 05/12/2021 at 08:27, ascsbe said:

It is as said certain models. My order for Acadia 575 is fine and on time. However a friend has a Laser wide version 575 and he was given option of Acadia shower unit or cancellation. Going for the Acadia shower unit.

I have a Lazer 575 xtra on order and spoke to my dealer on Saturday and he said that the lazer range would not be affected.   

Is the only difference between the Lazer shower and Acadia the fancy panel down the back wall?

Hope my dealer gets his finger out and lets me know what's happening :( :Thankyou:

The fancy panel and the riser according to our dealer, although the tap mount is slightly different, lozenge instead of round 

Yes it is the fancy panel at the back you lose. Not sure about the other bits. Basically he was told it would be the Acadia shower unit. He has accepted the change as only alternative was to cancel. 

Thanks Airhog and ascsbe,

I messaged Coachman this morning and got a swift ( no pun intended ) call back.

They confirmed that the Acadia shower would be fitted to all rear end bathroom showers moving forward.

Then one hour later I got an email from Spinney confirming the same including the email from Coachman informing them.

I asked Coachman if there would be any delay due to all models requiring the same shower fitment but they said that no delay would be expected and that my caravan was scheduled for completion on the 16th March.

So fingers crossed.  

Cheers

Tom

On 03/12/2021 at 17:24, Legal Eagle said:

not surprising there is a shortage - this is the result of the fire.   Workers have all been laid off indefinitely whilst the insurance is sorted, but looking at two years to rebuild and start again (Humber Bridge in the background of the first pic) 

image.jpeg.0ed32c46b9f15e96e5d2e68f7a0b83e6.jpeg

image.jpeg.7cf857c9234ee67e42f90fa844a06b4b.jpeg

I feel hugely sorry for the people who work there, and right before Christmas. I hope they are all re-employed soon.

Edited by MacSpot

Looks like the factory is completely gone. The quickest solution would be move, as if you cannot get production going fairly quickly then the business may have gone elsewhere when you reopen. Possibly though temporary premises will be found.