Supplementary Oxygen Whilst Caravanning

Blackhart

Hello

Nothing to do with COVID-19, but my wife unfortunately has very recently been in hospital and whilst now discharged need supplementary oxygen. 

This is supplied at home by a DolbyVilasol oxygen enriching machine and the cylinders for use 'out and about' are charged via another attached unit.

I am now looking into how we can best carry on caravanning either with this equipment or with a more portable unit.

I would like to hear from anyone out there who caravans under these circumstances so I can get an idea about planning for the future.  I have done some Googling and there seem to be more portable machine available.

Any help greatly appreciated, thanks.

BH

my bro needs oxygen 24hours a day and found that lugging cylinders about was a bit of a chore and  of course only have a limited capacity. so he got something like this - Inogen One G4 portable Oxygen Concentrator (theoxygenstore.co) There are lots around, from Amazon or even E-bay if you want to go second hand  -  look here - Amazon.co.uk : oxygen concentrator

He got it second user rather than brand new (saving a lot of money) and it gives him around four hours on a single charge. It also has the advantage that it can be powered and charged from the 12v car cigarette lighter and can be plugged into the mains wherever there's a power socket (in a pub or restaurant, or even a hotel room etc)

He's also got a spare battery which gives him another 3-4 hours. He's even been allowed to use it on an aeroplane (although I think he had to get permission first rather than just rolling up at the boarding  gate with it) so he can get away on holiday without too much hassle

Edited by alicanto grande

When my two boys were alive we carried O2 in the car. We were advised to have a sticker on the car saying compressed /  inflammable 

are these gadgets safe to use when there are smokers around?

they are no more dangerous that lugging a cylinder of compressed oxygen around and they really only produce enough oxygen for the user rather than squirting it all over the place.

One would not expect that a smoker would  be in an enclosed public space anyway as it's not allowed anymore and would hopefully use a bit of common sense if they lived with a person who had to use one.

HI BH

the wife,s home oxygen company can provide a portable Inogen  unit for holidays etc

may be worth checking with your provider

Be a were that some units from china are  poor quality and get poor reviews :-

lots listed on amazon normally about £350 / £400

Dave

12 hours ago, fanbelt said:

Someone requiring oxygen is unlikely to be around anyone smoking.

An interesting thread as my stepfather has COPD and has asked about portable oxygen as at some future point will have to rely on it. As they also have a caravan he was unsure how he’d cope.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

12 hours ago, fanbelt said:

I wouldn't call it a 'gadget' these are life saving medical devices! Yes there are restrictions such as not smoking near it and no open flames nearby such as candles or open fires.

We are very new to this as my wife has only been home a couple of days so we are on a very steep learning curve. We are determined to live life as normally as possible, hence this thread to see if I can contact anyone in the same situation who goes caravanning.

The oxygen company can supply us with a portable unit but it needs to be booked well in advance taking all the spontinaety out of any trips. I need to research what is available and what would suit and the best place to start will be with someone who is already doing it.

I thank you all for your comments and information so far and ask if anyone out there in Caravan Talk Land knows of anyone caravaning with an oxygen concentrator they give them a nudge and ask them.

Sounds like Garyb1969's stepfather could do with the information as well.

Thanks again.

BH

I have seen people on sites with portable oxygen so it can be done, but hearing from those that do it is always reassuring.

I’ll watch this thread with interest & relay any advice back to my stepfather.

Thanks

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

There is a FB group for disabled caravaners, might be worth asking there.

Ian

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.

Please note, the following video is American but may give some useful info, ideas.

The comments in the video from users and others are also interesting and may answer some questions.

A search of Google may find other videos and info about the advantage or disadvantage of the unit, best use, what it can and can't be used for, there also may be a user group on You Tube, Facebok or similar.

Hope it helps.

Thanks for that but that one is pulse only and for nighttime  continuous flow is needed. Philips do one of those which can be seen on this video from the same company. Here is the link for anyone who is interested. This looks like the ideal unit, but I'd still like to hear from anyone actually doing this in a caravan.

9 hours ago, GaryB1969 said:

Someone requiring oxygen is unlikely to be around anyone 

Don't you believe it!

My father, who near the end, was unable to walk around the house without taking a rest, was seen with his oxygen mask in one hand and a gasper in the other.

We did manage to wean him off cigarettes eventually though.

I was on one of my monthly visits (I worked away) and we'd had lunch. He said that he really missed a smoke after his meal and found a cigarette to light. He took one pull and that was it! He could hardly breathe, even with the oxygen. I don't think he touched one thereafter it frightened him so much!

And yes, he died of COPD.

Oxygen generators. Could be the way to go  you can get some large 240 volt. And smaller 240 volt.  But they  Require mains electric. 240 volts..

also a lot dearer are the portable oxygen generators. They last a few hours depending on your requirements.  And have to recharge on mains electric.  But portable so you get time out of the caravan.

and also allows time to travel both to and from your destination.

buy only from reputable sellers that specifically deal with top quality medical aids.

not cheap but if you need them as do I then it is what it is or go nowhere.

expect to fork out some serious cash for both good ones.

however it is best if you have a medical assessment to determine the correct type I.e. pulse  or continuous.

and the volume you require.   Then buy. A bigger version that you can increase both if and when you have to.

hope this is some help to you..

Edited by Sonar

doctors won't issue nhs oxygen to anyone from a smoking household---feart of explosion they say, even if oxygen is only used in non smoking caravan at side of house.

13 hours ago, Sonar said:

Oxygen generators. Could be the way to go  you can get some large 240 volt. And smaller 240 volt.  But they  Require mains electric. 240 volts..

also a lot dearer are the portable oxygen generators. They last a few hours depending on your requirements.  And have to recharge on mains electric.  But portable so you get time out of the caravan.

and also allows time to travel both to and from your destination.

buy only from reputable sellers that specifically deal with top quality medical aids.

not cheap but if you need them as do I then it is what it is or go nowhere.

expect to fork out some serious cash for both good ones.

however it is best if you have a medical assessment to determine the correct type I.e. pulse  or continuous.

and the volume you require.   Then buy. A bigger version that you can increase both if and when you have to.

hope this is some help to you..

Thanks, we will speak to the 'oxygen nurse' when she calls in. The oxygen enrichment machine we have is continuous flow, with a couple of pulse cylinders for out and about.

The Philips Rerspironics machine in the last video I posted does both and is a reputable brand. But before we do anything we will take medical advice.

13 hours ago, fanbelt said:

doctors won't issue nhs oxygen to anyone from a smoking household---feart of explosion they say, even if oxygen is only used in non smoking caravan at side of house.

Yes, we were asked such questions and when the machine and other equipment was delivered they did a 'site' survey.

Bh

19 hours ago, fanbelt said:

That still doesn't prevent people from smoking around then though.

We used to have a oxygen concentrater I believe it was supplied by a company called DeVillabiss. My wife was a nurse and was very conscious  of the dangers of flame and oxygen, but I used to work in factory that made steel fabrications we had a tank that held 3 1/2 tons of liquid oxygen at about -190 degrees this was used for cutting mixed with  propane (LPG)

Just to emphasize the importance of understanding the danger of oxygen concentration in the open air.

As a diver I frequently dive breathing a mixture of nitrogen and oxygen.   This is called Nitrox or Enriched Air.

There are various advantages gained from this that don't need explaining here. However, apart from learning the technicalities of nitrox diving when training to be qualified to use it, including, believe it or not, that oxygen becomes toxic at high pressure when diving deep, the dangers of explosion are rightly stressed.

If you are using oxygen for the reasons outlined in this thread then please be fully aware of the possibility of an explosion if exposed to a naked flame/spark.  Oxygen is a life saver but please just treat it with respect.

It goes without saying that everyone wishes those who need the equipment highlighted in this thread, success in finding and using it. 

Hello

Thank you for your replies and I can assure you all that we are well aware of the dangers and difficulties we now face. I would really appreciate hearing from someone with actual experience of using an oxygen concentrator whilst caravanning.

BH

TBH why should using an oxygen concentrator be any different from using it any other scenario. If it works in a car, home, caravan, hotel or other place then a caravan is no different except that if you decide to go off grid then you have to make provision for a reliable power supply for the duration of your stay.

A portable unit which has internal batteries can be used and recharged either from mains electricity, the 12v caravan supply, the car or evn a handful of additional pre-charged battery packs and is probably significantly more convenient than carting a lot of oxygen cylinders about. 

I'm not suggesting that it wont involve a bit of a lifestyle change and a some preplanning but it shouldn't be as difficult as you seem to think it might be.

On 07/12/2021 at 08:51, Squash said:

If you are using oxygen for the reasons outlined in this thread then please be fully aware of the possibility of an explosion if exposed to a naked flame/spark.

Oxygen of itself is, believe it or not,  not flammable, but it supports burning.

Depending on the oxygen concentration, a suitable fuel, which can be most things, clothing, skin, paper, wood, and so on and a source of ignition, a spark, lit cigarette, flame,  what it does do is make things burn hotter and faster to lesser or greater degree depending on the oxygen concentration, there are also instances where it can promote spontaneous combustion, this is usually with such as oily rags, oily work clothes  and so on, even supposedly fire resistant materials can be made to burn  with the correct quantity of oxygen.

This, from the European Respiratory Society makes interesting, though a little deep reading.

https://breathe.ersjournals.com/content/11/1/4

So yes the correct care and use process need to be adhered to, but there should be no fear when used correctly.

I spent an interesting few days on a course at BOC Worsley many many years ago,  covering all gasses, inert, fuel, oxidising and so on, the precautions in use, care of equipment, personnel, care where fires were concerned and care of damaged bottles and so on.

The eye-opening ones were the tests to destruction by heat, which were spectacular, but the best was showing what happens when a bottle neck gets snapped off due to it being dropped or abused mechanically.

This was done by a controlled explosive charge snapping the neck, after which the bottle travelled at the speed of a torpedo all over the disused airfield following no particular path and could easily take someone's legs off in an instance.

Enough of the scary stuff though 😊