New KIA Sportage details now available

Flatcoat888

Unfortunately cannot get the bleeping link to copy paste! However umpteen trim levels and engine options available upto £43k. Most oily bits, running gear and basic car architecture are Same as new Tucson under the skin.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m sure the Tucson is available in 4wd in plug in and Mhev version but I don’t think there are any diesel versions available 

And according to my local dealer they wont start to see them until at least April, si I'm replacing both of ours with the current model. Currently have an EV6 for evaluation , nice car but at the moment the numbers dont add up.

58 minutes ago, DUNCAN123 said:

I’m sure the Tucson is available in 4wd in plug in and Mhev version but I don’t think there are any diesel versions available 

Mvev is fwd only for the Tucson

Edited by xtrailman

1 hour ago, xtrailman said:

Which is why we eventually dropped the Tucson from our shortlist. The tow weight limit on the PHEV is only 1350kg on the Tucson so guessing same for Sportage. However, the Sportage does have a diesel option. Unless it is an absolute steal of a  deal I wouldn’t buy the now old model of anything when it’s replacement is imminent. 

2 hours ago, xtrailman said:

Mvev is fwd only for the Tucson

There are 4wd mild hybrids for sale on autotrader 

1 hour ago, DUNCAN123 said:

There are 4wd mild hybrids for sale on autotrader 

They are not true hybrids - only have minimal electrical assistance. The full hybrid does not come with AWD.

As far as I was aware any vehicle that has electrical assistance to the engine is classed as a hybrid.

I did say on my post Mild Hybrid and it comes in 4wd which I think was the original question.

Edited by DUNCAN123

I've been told by two different dealers that the 226bhp Hybrid is available in 4wd but with a GTs trim at just over £40K, so still interested.

But strangely no 180ps version as an option...

No towing info yet.

From my exploration of hybrids, it appears that a lot of them have pretty gutless engines which will provide enough power to charge the battery and keep it going around town and even cruising etc but once the battery is depleted then there's nowt left to accelerate or pull another tonne and half behind it.

Not all of them of course,  but even the Ford Kuga was only rated at around 1350kg when it was introduced, but has been upped to 1500kg but not in AWD format and  only has an eCVT for the hybrid versions rather than a proper auto gearbox.

As in a lot of things, going green isn't going to be cheap and will involve a lot of compromise.

I'm still waiting for my 190ps AWD diesel Kuga which was ordered in June - it may become a collectors item if it ever arrives. If it doesn't I'll keep my 180ps diesel S-max which pulls my 1650kg  van around quite  happlity.

Edited by alicanto grande

I've driven the Tucson hybrid 230ps 2wd and the engine is very strong IMO.

195 pound feet from start off from the electric motor with a max of around 258 pound feet maximum.

petrol motor is a 1.6T that on its own give 180ps with 195 pound feet from 1500 rpm, not as strong as a Tiguan petrol 190ps but thats a 2L engine.

For the amount of towing I do its enough.  Solo it feels a lot quicker than my 190ps diesel and drives through a 6 speed torque convertor box which I couldn't fault.

Tucson is rated to tow 1650kg.

I drive the same Tucson and came very close to ordering one. In the end we realised we need 4wd for a variety of reasons: where we live, probably going to Europe in winter and having got stuck once on a wet grass pitch, never again! The RAV4 PHEV eventually won out even

though more expensive but has over 300 horses, a real world 45mile solo EV range and cheaper finance/better residuals. 

It is in ICE mode (168 lb/ft or 227Nm) however Toyota do not give a combined system torque, only system power which is 306 horses. The engine is non turbo but is a long stroke design which always helps with torque. The front electric motor has 182 hp and 270nm and the rear 54 horses and 121nm. Difficult to say what the combined torque is but given 0-60 acceleration is 6secs I imagine the system torque is probably over 400Nm. I have spoken to 2 RAV4 HEV owners who tow caravans and both were so impressed they plan on getting another. 

I find it annoying that you can't get basic information provided.

With 400nm torque I would expect the towing limit to be higher, I didn't know the rav had two electric motors.

Towing limit has little to do with power with a PHEV. The HEV AWD RAV4 has a 1650kg tow weight limit with EV power to both axles. The PHEV version has much higher power in EV mode but still with EV drive to both axles’. However the additional battery weight has to come from somewhere. The tow weight of the PHEV is 1500kg which is better than many PHEV’s on the market. Look at tow weight limits of a Kuga, Tucson and anything made by Stellantis group. 

14 hours ago, xtrailman said:

I find it annoying that you can't get basic information provided.

With 400nm torque I would expect the towing limit to be higher, I didn't know the rav had two electric motors.

Unfortunately you cannot compare the Toyota or Mitsubishi PHEV powertrain system to a conventual diesel power train, the latest generation of PHEV incorporate an electric motor build inside there gearbox, i.e VW.

https://global.toyota/en/newsroom/toyota/32758042.html#:~:text=The new model RAV4 plug-in hybrid electric vehicle,acceleration of 0-100 km/h in 6.0 seconds. *2

The Toyota and Mitsubishi PHEV systems are very similar, our Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV for instance engine torque 211 NM, front electric motor 137 NM and rear 195 NM, below 45 mph the battery and ICE unit power both front and rear motors providing 332 NM, over the 45 mph the ICE engages a clutch and goes into direct drive providing 211 NM, on a hill or under load the rear motor can provide an additional 121 NM giving 406 NM. The latest generation Outlander PHEV now has a larger 20kWh battery providing 54 EV miles and much more powerful electric motor similar to the Toyota RAV4 PHEV, the front motor has been replaced with a more powerful 255 NM unit the rear staying the same, also the Australian specification Outlander it 2.4 ICE, the US specification  will use the Nissan 2.5 ICE unit.

The Toyota PHEV ICE unit provides 219 NM, front motor 270NM and rear 121 NM, I don't have the full detail of the Toyota PHEV powertrain system , but would expect at lower speed front 270 NM and rear 121 NM motors to provide 391 NM, you have to remember this torque is instantaneous. At speed I am assuming ICE 219 NM with the rear motor providing an additional 121 NM under load giving 340 NM.

1 hour ago, Flatcoat888 said:

Towing limit has little to do with power with a PHEV. The HEV AWD RAV4 has a 1650kg tow weight limit with EV power to both axles. The PHEV version has much higher power in EV mode but still with EV drive to both axles’. However the additional battery weight has to come from somewhere. The tow weight of the PHEV is 1500kg which is better than many PHEV’s on the market. Look at tow weight limits of a Kuga, Tucson and anything made by Stellantis group. 

The latest Ford Kuga has now been upgraded to 1500kg

Edited by Oscarmax

On 01/12/2021 at 19:17, Flatcoat888 said:

Which is why we eventually dropped the Tucson from our shortlist. The tow weight limit on the PHEV is only 1350kg on the Tucson so guessing same for Sportage. However, the Sportage does have a diesel option. Unless it is an absolute steal of a  deal I wouldn’t buy the now old model of anything when it’s replacement is imminent. 

We have bought cars where the model is about to run out. We got large discounts which made up for any trade in loss later, and not having the latest model never worries us. 

2 hours ago, Flatcoat888 said:

I would of thought the extra weight of a plug in would be offset by the extra power over the hybrid model.

On some occasions I agree a runout model is a good move but with the current demand I am not convinced the Sportage discounts are all that enticing.

Most manufacturers provide system power and torque data. When researching for which car to buy I sourced system torque from Just about every manufacturer other than Toyota. The link from Oscarmax is useful albeit slightly lost in translation in places. However our RAV PHEV is now in the UK on its way to the dealers - hoping to collect first week in January. 

9 minutes ago, xtrailman said:

I would of thought the extra weight of a plug in would be offset by the extra power over the hybrid model.

It is also to do with structural body strength. The battery pack is heavy and typically takes upto 300kg of payload. If the car was a straight forward ICE powered version as sold in some markets the towing limit is 2000kg BUT the kerb weight only 1510kg…..  the kerb weight of the PHEV is over 1900kg’s. BTW Oscarmax the torque on the PHEV is 227nm. 

Edited by Flatcoat888

38 minutes ago, Wildwood said:

We have bought cars where the model is about to run out. We got large discounts which made up for any trade in loss later, and not having the latest model never worries us. 

I've done the  same but I don't like the previous model of either the Tucson or Sportage, too small among other things.

In the past I've bought a pre reg run out Audi at a huge saving on new.

1 hour ago, Oscarmax said:

Unfortunately you cannot compare the Toyota or Mitsubishi PHEV powertrain system to a conventual diesel power train, the latest generation of PHEV incorporate an electric motor build inside there gearbox, i.e VW.

https://global.toyota/en/newsroom/toyota/32758042.html#:~:text=The new model RAV4 plug-in hybrid electric vehicle,acceleration of 0-100 km/h in 6.0 seconds. *2

The Toyota and Mitsubishi PHEV systems are very similar, our Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV for instance engine torque 211 NM, front electric motor 137 NM and rear 195 NM, below 45 mph the battery and ICE unit power both front and rear motors providing 332 NM, over the 45 mph the ICE engages a clutch and goes into direct drive providing 211 NM, on a hill or under load the rear motor can provide an additional 121 NM giving 406 NM. The latest generation Outlander PHEV now has a larger 20kWh battery providing 54 EV miles and much more powerful electric motor similar to the Toyota RAV4 PHEV, the front motor has been replaced with a more powerful 255 NM unit the rear staying the same, also the Australian specification Outlander it 2.4 ICE, the US specification  will use the Nissan 2.5 ICE unit.

The Toyota PHEV ICE unit provides 219 NM, front motor 270NM and rear 121 NM, I don't have the full detail of the Toyota PHEV powertrain system , but would expect at lower speed front 270 NM and rear 121 NM motors to provide 391 NM, you have to remember this torque is instantaneous. At speed I am assuming ICE 219 NM with the rear motor providing an additional 121 NM under load giving 340 NM.

The latest Ford Kuga has now been upgraded to 1500kg

Thanks for the imformation..

41 minutes ago, Flatcoat888 said:

On some occasions I agree a runout model is a good move but with the current demand I am not convinced the Sportage discounts are all that enticing.

Most manufacturers provide system power and torque data. When researching for which car to buy I sourced system torque from Just about every manufacturer other than Toyota. The link from Oscarmax is useful albeit slightly lost in translation in places. However our RAV PHEV is now in the UK on its way to the dealers - hoping to collect first week in January. 

It is also to do with structural body strength. The battery pack is heavy and typically takes upto 300kg of payload. If the car was a straight forward ICE powered version as sold in some markets the towing limit is 2000kg BUT the kerb weight only 1510kg…..  the kerb weight of the PHEV is over 1900kg’s. BTW Oscarmax the torque on the PHEV is 227nm. 

I stand corrected UK spec ICE unit 227 NM, not 219NM, I have too say I am a bit envious I would love a RAV4 PHEV

TBH we have gone way over budget but what the heck, you are a long time dead as they say.  We are going from 2 cars to one to save money….. allegedly. Started looking at used £25k diesels however SWMBO had swallowed all the anti diesel propaganda, then new MG HS PHEV (not upto towing IMO) and gradually higher price threshold at each stage. We have ended up spending the 2 car budget on one. Hey ho. 

Edited by Flatcoat888