Jump to content

Cheapest PCR tests


Recommended Posts

Can we use this thread to determine the cheapest PCR tests arriving back into the UK? No discussion on whys and wherefores. Just suggestions or better still links to the cheapest. A lot of the official providers (and they HAVE to be approved on the gov.uk list) are a con as the 'visible' price then becomes much higher when clicked through.

The start is the Gov site HERE

Tests must be PCR and not LFT.

For a start my family are flying in to Manchester Airport a week before Xmas and some prices are eye watering.

I know my request is not caravan related but there are members going abroad soon after Xmas and some are returning.

Some I know are going on a cruise! Lucky them!

Several providers use self pick up so you have to go somewhere inconvenient to pick up. We want a kit poisted to us that we post back.

Fully Vaccinated Day 2 — NWP Orders (nwp-online.co.uk)

Seems to be £40 and I used them last week for my LFT returning from Spain.

Link here

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi,

Have just had to now order in last 20 minutes revised PCR tests from Assured Testing at £60 each (was £50 !). Used a few weeks ago just before testing went to LFT ! All pretty simple.

Postal send out on or for day of return (DPD) - we do a drop box return as fairly local & more reliable. £3 extra for postal return ? NB You also have to self isolate until you receive a negative test result so maybe speed of result is better ? 

Will save the LFT x 2 & codes (£15 TestnGo) now promptly received for another day / holiday / rules. Hey ho ....

Seasonal greetings.

M

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Eurofins has several locations  for on site and drive through testing for people arriving back in UK -with prices for PCR tests at £39.90. These include locations at Manchester and Warrington as well as Heathrow. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, WispMan said:

Can we use this thread to determine the cheapest PCR tests arriving back into the UK? No discussion on whys and wherefores. Just suggestions or better still links to the cheapest. A lot of the official providers (and they HAVE to be approved on the gov.uk list) are a con as the 'visible' price then becomes much higher when clicked through.

The start is the Gov site HERE

Tests must be PCR and not LFT.

For a start my family are flying in to Manchester Airport a week before Christmas and some prices are eye watering.

I know my request is not caravan related but there are members going abroad soon after Christmas and some are returning.

Some I know are going on a cruise! Lucky them!

Several providers use self pick up so you have to go somewhere inconvenient to pick up. We want a kit poisted to us that we post back.

Fully Vaccinated Day 2 — NWP Orders (nwp-online.co.uk)

Seems to be £40 and I used them last week for my LFT returning from Spain.

Link here

We used Eurofins testing centre at Warrington.  Cost us £20 for a Drive-through PCR test back in September, used the Reference Number for our PLF form, turned up, did the test, sent the result off, and received our results - others paying three or four times more had problems with one aspect or another.   They are now offering testing at £39.90  for Drive Through, or £54.90 for 'posted to home' test kits.
https://www.traveltesting.eurofins.co.uk/green-country

However, lots of others use SimplyTestMe - good reviews, and at £43 posted to you, a good price.  https://www.simplytestme.co.uk/

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Expert-medical. Not on “The List” But I used them back in Sept £28 and still on offer at the same amount. As far as I recall results back 2 days after I posted them off.  However they have had pretty poor reviews, but my experience was OK.

 

I am off to Copenhagen just before Christmas returning late on 20th. Results back before Christmas ???

 

Basically I think most of the testing providers are a bit of a lottery. This time round though you have to isolate  until you get your negative result. 

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If they are not on the list, you can't use them, I believe. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, WispMan said:

If they are not on the list, you can't use them, I believe. 

 

Not according to the Govt website!  See under “Finding a provider” 

 

 

 

DCE5373D-7A6A-4F65-8638-E2F75DFA146B.png

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

"Check the provider is listed on Gov. UK" 

Seems clear to me and you need a ref number to put on the PLF. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Expert Medical used on our last trip and for our December one ordered another kit from them which arrived and so PLF completed today along with the ref number supplied by the above company.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just looking at this myself. Yes very frustrating with their advertised price being totally different from actual.  Saw " lab med expert" at £25 but suspect same company as "Expert medical" with very poor reviews.  Going to give them a ring tomorrow. Also "Doctors covid travel clinic" £35.  Let us know how you get on. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, WispMan said:

If they are not on the list, you can't use them, I believe. 

You can, and we did.   We used Eurofins, who weren't on 'The List' but our PLF reference was accepted.  The companies on the list are recommended, but not mandatory.

Edited by ValA
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ordered my two kits from Expert Medicals @£20 each.  (Less than I paid them back in September)  unique booking reference provided and that’s all that is required on the PLF. 

 

From previous experience (and various postings on here) there doesn’t appear to be any system to “follow up” on test results, or even if the test kits have been posted off/submitted. You cannot send them by recorded or signed for delivery so it would be simply impossible  for anyone  to prove you haven’t sent them off.

 

If anyone is worried by that remember if anyone gets prosecuted the  prosecution must prove, “beyond all reasonable doubt”  the alleged offender did or did not do something. It is simply impossible to prove a negative (I.e. that you didnt send off a test kit) 

 

Link To Expert Medicals 2 day home test kit (£20 each)

 

 

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Like Ploddy, we used Expert Medical for our late summer hols. All arrived, numbers accepted, tests done and sent off, results back promptly.

Despite bad press I would use them again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just had an email to say my Expert Medicals test kit should be delivered on 2nd December.  Plan is to take the kit with me, carry them out as soon as I get back into Heathrow (late on the 20th) and get them in the post at the earliest opportunity, in theory the result will be back before 25th.

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Ordered my two kits from Expert Medicals @£20 each.  (Less than I paid them back in September)  unique booking reference provided and that’s all that is required on the PLF. 

 

From previous experience (and various postings on here) there doesn’t appear to be any system to “follow up” on test results, or even if the test kits have been posted off/submitted. You cannot send them by recorded or signed for delivery so it would be simply impossible  for anyone  to prove you haven’t sent them off.

 

If anyone is worried by that remember if anyone gets prosecuted the  prosecution must prove, “beyond all reasonable doubt”  the alleged offender did or did not do something. It is simply impossible to prove a negative (I.e. that you didnt send off a test kit) 

 

Link To Expert Medicals 2 day home test kit (£20 each)

 

 

The only problem is you have to isolate until you receive a negative test. Could be a long wait if it's gone missing 🤤

Link to comment
Share on other sites

...........have I got this wrong?

 

This government listed site   Link  appears to offer day 2 or day 2 and day 8 PCR testing kits for £1 each providing you collect the kits from them at Chichester (which I can).

You have to self test on arrival back in the UK and post back to them with postage provided.

 

What I don't get is why does this service only cost £1.....or am I reading it wrong?

Edited by WilliamJames
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, WilliamJames said:

...........have I got this wrong?

 

This government listed site   Link  appears to offer day 2 or day 2 and day 8 PCR testing kits for £1 each providing you collect the kits from them at Chichester (which I can).

You have to self test on arrival back in the UK and post back to them with postage provided.

 

What I don't get is why does this service only cost £1.....or am I reading it wrong?

So cheap it makes you wonder if it's a scam site, just intended to harvest your credit card details.  There have been many other 'rogue' companies which somehow managed to get on to 'THE LIST'.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

See Here (link to Trustpilot) an interesting read, it would seem to not be all it’s made out to be!!  In fact it would seem it’s a total scam. 1 good report and 90+ ones saying to avoid!! 

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

.......just gathering info for a France/Spain trip at the end of next January that increasingly looks not likely to happen!!

Won't be using that government listed site I refered to above ;):unsure:

Edited by WilliamJames
Link to comment
Share on other sites

....just a clarification. these PCR tests for people coming into the UK have to be done within 2 days. It would seem from Mr Plodd that these tests can be carried out as soon as you arrive. This would help a friend arriving today for a visit from Portugal, as he's been double jabbed so a negative test would significantly shorten any isolation.

 

Any comments anyone? :Thankyou:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Just had an email to say my Expert Medicals test kit should be delivered on 2nd December.  Plan is to take the kit with me, carry them out as soon as I get back into Heathrow (late on the 20th) and get them in the post at the earliest opportunity, in theory the result will be back before 25th.

 

14 hours ago, CraigP2005 said:

The only problem is you have to isolate until you receive a negative test. Could be a long wait if it's gone missing 🤤

 

We have ordered our PCR tests and will have them in the car for when we get back off the cruise. The laboratory is just off the M1 so we can drop them in on our way back home, which will reduce the waiting time for the results as it cuts out the time spent in the postal system, and ensures they “don’t get lost in the post”

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, anorak said:

....just a clarification. these PCR tests for people coming into the UK have to be done within 2 days. It would seem from Mr Plodd that these tests can be carried out as soon as you arrive. This would help a friend arriving today for a visit from Portugal, as he's been double jabbed so a negative test would significantly shorten any isolation.

 

Any comments anyone? :Thankyou:


If arriving by air then test at the UK airport on arrival.  Job done.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, moorgate said:


If arriving by air then test at the UK airport on arrival.  Job done.

 

Or even before you leave your foreign destination. There is nothing to identify when the swab was actually taken, or indeed who it was actually taken from either ;)

 

Everything is done on trust, so is wide open to abuse of all sorts!  :unsure:

 

 

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Except you need a ref number for the PLF. 

5 hours ago, moorgate said:


If arriving by air then test at the UK airport on arrival.  Job done.

Can you give a link to a tester at Manchester Airport please? 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...