Wild Atlantic Way region thoughts and suggestions, please.

We're tentatively considering a trip to S Ireland in 2022, if health & Covid condition allow, with our small caravan, probably in May.

There's a lot of Ireland, and we're wondering where to choose, preferring to try a portion rather than trying to cover as much ground as possible for the sake of it. We enjoy British West Coasts, such as Pembrokeshire and the NW of Scotland & Western Isles. The Irish W Coast "Wild Atlantic Way" is apparently 1600 miles long, so far more than one trip for us.
Before the Scottish NC500 really took off, we did our own variant on it, though are aware that increasingly it's seen by local people as a very mixed blessing, and for good reason.

Any relevant experienced comments on good areas, good sites, etc, would be gratefully received.
We usually prefer smaller sites as long as they have loos and showers, but the ones I'm spotting on "UKCS" seem mostly to have 90+ pitches.

Ferries too - there's Irish Ferries and Stena, which  appears a lot cheaper. Both offer various crossings.

So, currently it's like walking into a whole library vaguely wanting a book, and any help in aiming would be great.

Thanks,

Richard.

Edited by Richard_Y
correction

Hi Richard Y .

We are also thinking of Ireland next year, travel permitting. I've been following the NC 500 on Facebook and it has lots of info so I'm wondering if there is a FB page for the Ireland route?

We only want a short crossing so will drive up north to Cairnryan  from the Midlands.

Ive also been looking on Facebook and found a few pages aimed at the Wild Atlantic Way.

Also Ebay/Amazon for books either new or S/hand

Thanks for this, happy planning!
Good idea to seek FB page, I'll look for that,
Fully agree about 2nd hand books where possible, too - Ebay, or WorldofBooks and others. (Not Amazon, though, for us.)

When I was a fair bit younger I went out beyond Killarney and hiked around the ridge of McGillycuddys Reeks - a wonderful wild area.  We camped with tents behind the Climbers Inn at Glencar  - a pub that has changed hands and gone upmarket, but that’s not going to suit with a caravan.  The nearest decent caravan site looks to be the Flesk site  by Killarney itself - and that could be a good touring base for you.

There's an excellent CMC associated site at Glenbeigh on the Ring of Kerry.

On 28/11/2021 at 09:40, MalH said:

There's an excellent CMC associated site at Glenbeigh on the Ring of Kerry.

I've seen comments that the bigger sites there can be very good, so that's a useful one to bear in mind despite our normally avoiding them! Thanks.

It's not very big

Even better! Sorry, I tend to assume that club sites are so, and somehow didn't pick up the "Associated" bit.   I blame a bug I've been fighting off all week!

We'll look into it.

Edited by Richard_Y

Hi there Richard, we are based in Dublin on the east coast. During summer 2020 we did part of the WAW. 

3 hour drive from Dublin to Sligo, stayed in Strandhil -4 days -  great place- surfers paradice and the site is just beyond the sand dunes from a fantastic beach. A huge amount to explore around here. We did midnight kayaking on a lake and it was amazing as it’s protectec by mountains all around it.

from there to Westport house-2.5 hours drive -  stunning site - lots of lovely walks along the coast.

from there we went down to Killarney - Flesk caravan park - perf3ct location to explore the ring of Kerry 

from there to west Cork - clonakilty- again beautiful location lots of history and beautiful beaches and fab fish restaurants- Kinsale would be a must.

from there we went up to Wexford for the last couple of nights- ferrybank  caravan park - right beside the town for eating and drinking and just 7 mins from the famous Curracloe beach (where saving private Ryan was filmed). Your also only short drive from Rosslare ferry or 2 hours drive up to Dublin.

hope that helps - you would see a lot - to follow the exact WAW you would need a lot longer than 2 or 3 weeks.

https://www.sligocaravanandcamping.ie/strandhill-park/

https://www.westporthouse.ie/

https://www.killarneyfleskcamping.com/

http://www.sextonscamping.com/

image.png.5277637401fd7ae71bb6621e16e131f8.png

That's great, MoBango, thank you. More good stuff to research!
And indeed, we have no intention of following round the whole thing, it's meant to be a relaxing holiday with time to find a bit more about places, not a forced route march!

Let's just hope pandemic and other stuff allows us to come and enjoy it!

People do seem to keep mentioning the Ring of Kerry...   :-)

The Ring of Kerry is a must do. Just ensure you drive it anticlockwise, otherwise you will be delayed by coaches and other vehicles coming towards you. 

8 hours ago, MalH said:

The Ring of Kerry is a must do. Just ensure you drive it anticlockwise, otherwise you will be delayed by coaches and other vehicles coming towards you. 

That's great to know too, thanks again. When we worked our way up the Outer Hebrides we went from South to North, because it suited our itinerary better, but another traveller also reckoned we'd got it right, as N to S was worth avoiding because when the sun does shine - which it did quite a lot - the glare is very strong.

Such voices of experience are always worth while!