leisure battery

Simplistically you could use just about any battery in this application. 
However, you need to consider if you have an alarm and tracker, then you may need to recharge every few weeks. 
A solar panel will maintain the battery in a good state of charge, if regular charging isn’t an option 

If you are always going to be on EHU then you probably don't need a battery at all (ensure battery leads can't touch each other) but otherwise, any serviceable car battery or  NCC class C leisure battery will do.  (example in link below - other suppliers and battery brands are available).

https://www.tayna.co.uk/leisure-batteries/ncc-class-c/lv22mf/

75 or 80 Ah should be adequate for just in case /short term use but you’ll need to run heating and fridge on gas of course whilst without a 230v supply.  

Do you envisage a lot of electricity outages?  Most power interruptions are caused by users overloading and tripping the EHU bollard and are generally easily fixed* by reducing the electrical load and resetting the trip switch.

*On some sites, warden intervention is required as trip switch access is locked.

9 hours ago, ReggiePerrin said:

*On some sites, warden intervention is required as trip switch access is locked.

A fair few sites are now fitting trip switch’s that automatically reset after a few seconds. Saves tge warden having to keep traipsing around a site, especially if it’s a large one.

Does anyone know if there is a commercially available trip that has a variable trip current?  It would be a handy thing to have on a caravan so it could be set, for say 5.75 amps when the supply is 6, or 9 if it’s a 10 amp feed.

Could save a lot of aggro as invariably it’s evening time when max load is required, and that’s when reception is shut!

I have a voltage & current gauge on my 230 supply feed, but of course the site bollard will trip faster than I can spot I am trying to draw too much. Doesn’t happen that often, but many continental sites have locked supply cabinets (to stop those who haven’t paid for it connecting to EHU):

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

13 hours ago, ReggiePerrin said:

If you are always going to be on EHU then you probably don't need a battery at all

Can be true, but can be anything but true, this needs the OP does some research to avoid the possibility of a very expensive mistake.

My Schaudt brand unit must have a connected battery, or so its maker states.

For the sake of about £50 then they should fit a cheap car battery. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

20 minutes ago, JTQ said:

Can be true, but can be anything but true, this needs the OP does some research to avoid the possibility of a very expensive mistake.

Valid point Sir…. The OP appears to have a 2012 Swift and the user manual says:

"This battery should always be connected when the system is in use. The PSU is configured to work with standard lead acid leisure batteries, and in most cases is also compatible with the latest range of Absorbed Glass Matt (AGM) batteries.

https://www.swiftgroup.co.uk/media/rqncrrkc/2012_tourer_owners_handbook.pdf  (manual page 70 / section 3.3)

Instruction book for my Bailey (2019) says that on no account should the caravan be connected to EHU without a Leisure battery being installed. 

Having said that they don’t include a LB in the MIRO though  :unsure:  So it has to come out of the pathetic 155kg payload allowance, so that 25-30 “gone” before you start on anything else such as a mover (pretty essential on a 1500kg Caravan)  so that’s another 25-30! and so it goes on.

Of course you can pay (£60) for a 50kg paper exercise “upgrade” if you wish. Well that takes care of the weight of the LB and mover at least.

40 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Instruction book for my Bailey (2019) says that on no account should the caravan be connected to EHU without a Leisure battery being installed. 

Yet when you go looking around showrooms, invariably the caravans are connected to the mains with no leisure battery installed!

Good point! 

So why put that instruction/advice in the handbook? (Rhetorical question that I don’t know the answer to) 

That caravan showrooms do something; I don't take their actions as therefore necessarily not abusing the equipment.

I am still "old school" in crediting the equipment makers as knowing more about their kit, than the staff employed in showrooms, and caravan show rooms in particular.