Who's name should be on the caravan insurance policy

Franno8383

Good Morning,

I am just about to insure our caravan which I normally do in my husband's name as he is the one that usually tows.  The car insurance is in his name with me as a named driver.  However, because I am quite a bit younger, it would be cheaper to insure the van in my name.  Is this legally acceptable? Thanks in advance.

Fran

It shouldn't be an issue since you are in effect joint owners and you would simply be the policy holder, no different from buildings and contents insurance. If it is CRiS registered though, be wary if it is in your husband's name as it could raise questions in the event of a claim.

Edited by Legal Eagle

Never come across age as a factor in caravan insurance and doubt it will make any difference. Unless you have been asked this and quoted differfent premiums then I would not worry about it. Certainly I have never been asked my age when insuring ours nor was it a question in the days wen we did caravan insurance. 

As Legal Eagle says the best answer is to insure in joint names, as in practice as a married couple you both jointly own it. 

1 hour ago, Wildwood said:

Never come across age as a factor in caravan insurance and doubt it will make any difference. Unless you have been asked this and quoted differfent premiums then I would not worry about it. Certainly I have never been asked my age when insuring ours nor was it a question in the days wen we did caravan insurance. 

As Legal Eagle says the best answer is to insure in joint names, as in practice as a married couple you both jointly own it. 

Ive always been asked my date of birth when getting any insurance quote, be it car, house or caravan.

Thanks for that.  Have been looking on a comparison site.  Entered my details first and received quotes, then put my husband's details in and the cheapest quote was £70 more expensive - the only difference being his age.

Joint names sounds very sensible!!  Why didn't I think of that??  Doh!!

Is that’s more than a bit naughty on the part of the insurance companies. I believe there was a big hoo-ha a while back because insurers were treating Male and female drivers differently in regards to premiums and were being forced into no longer being able to differentiate on grounds of whatever it-is-now-but-used-to-be-called-sex ! 

As an aside there is not, to the best of my knowledge, anything which says the owner of anything is the only person who can insure it. After all there is, in large text, a notice on a Cars V5 which says the registered keeper may well not be the owner! When getting quotes for car insurance the only question asked is who it’s registered to and not “who is the owner” 

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Andy,  surely "registered keeper " has no relevance to caravans as there is no legally required or recognised register?

Regarding caravans:  being mindful that there is no legal obligation to insure a caravan I'd have thought "insurable interest" would be of some relevance to the policy holder in the event of a claim and that this would be the user at the time a claim arose.   (as demonstrated when a caravan is taken out on hire).     Legal Eagle - any thoughts?  

Joint names is the best way forward and should be no obstacle for cover or premiums unless one or both have a bad claims history.

43 minutes ago, CJ1149 said:

Andy,  surely "registered keeper " has no relevance to caravans as there is no legally required or recognised register?

Regarding caravans:  being mindful that there is no legal obligation to insure a caravan I'd have thought "insurable interest" would be of some relevance to the policy holder in the event of a claim and that this would be the user at the time a claim arose.   (as demonstrated when a caravan is taken out on hire).     Legal Eagle - any thoughts?  

Joint names is the best way forward and should be no obstacle for cover or premiums unless one or both have a bad claims history.

I think there is a tendency to over complicate the answer to the OPs question which was, does it matter if the caravan insurance is taken out in the husband's or wife's name? The simple answer is, no.

Not many homeowners take out buildings & contents insurance in joint names.

Fair comment.

17 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Is that’s more than a bit naughty on the part of the insurance companies. I believe there was a big hoo-ha a while back because insurers were treating Male and female drivers differently in regards to premiums and were being forced into no longer being able to differentiate on grounds of whatever it-is-now-but-used-to-be-called-sex ! 

As an aside there is not, to the best of my knowledge, anything which says the owner of anything is the only person who can insure it. After all there is, in large text, a notice on a Cars V5 which says the registered keeper may well not be the owner! When getting quotes for car insurance the only question asked is who it’s registered to and not “who is the owner” 

I am very surprised at the two different quotes as age should not be a actor on caravan insurance. It does make you wonder if this was sex discrimination and you could check that by resubmitting using the same age for both parties.

Normally only the owner can insure anything but a husband and wife would normally be joint owners and therefore joint names is acceptable. Possibly there might be a problem if the caravan is bought and registered with CrISS with one name and insured in another, if as seems to be the case here the premiums would be different.  I am still uncertain as to why though, and the insurer would have to explain this.

I will give it a try at my caravan renewal time to see if it does make a difference, but that’s not ‘til early March.

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

I went through this last year.

The caravan with CaravanGuard: I asked and they added my wife as joint owner.

The house insurance (buildings and contents): LV= added my wife's name without problem.

The car insurance: LV= said that as my wife is a named driver in the event of anything happening to me they would transfer the insurance to her name. As my son is also a named driver it would apply to him also if something happened to both of us at the same time.

Not sure what hey mean by "if anything happened to me" but if it did you should tell them. If the policyholder dies the policy passes to the deceased's legal representatives, which would be whoever was dealing with the estate.