Suitable vehicle to tow a Fleetwood Heritage 600 ES 2001

Piers

Good Afternoon

I am looking for help with advice on which vehicles would be suitable for towing a 2001 Fleetwood Heritage 600 ES please?

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

Piers

It would help if you could give us the MTPLM of the caravan. But there could be many suitable vehicles. To narrow the field, do you have some sort of preferences?

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

2 hours ago, OWOMW said:

From the Fleetwood Owners Club info for 2001 Heritage 600 ES (twin axle):

MIRO 1300kg

MTPLM 1641kg

According to the CMT spec. the MTPLM is 1541kg but the Owners Club give that for the 600 EB.

https://www.caravantalk.co.uk/caravan-data/fleetwood-heritage-600-es-2001-caravan-specifications/

Edited by Legal Eagle

Used to tow our Heritage 640 (1700kgs) with a Passat V6 4Motion estate, then a Ford S-max I inherited and now a Q7. I think Mrs Limecc's X3 would also be fine if we drop to one car. I find twin axle vans are more stable than a single axle with less MTPLM, I'd have no problem towing them at 100%.

32 minutes ago, limecc said:

Used to tow our Heritage 640 (1700kgs) with a Passat V6 4Motion estate, then a Ford S-max I inherited and now a Q7. I think Mrs Limecc's X3 would also be fine if we drop to one car. I find twin axle vans are more stable than a single axle with less MTPLM, I'd have no problem towing them at 100%.

I should add that the only reason the S-max had to go was it developed a random electrical fault where it would go into limp mode so I traded it in rather than spend thousands on a new wiring harness.

S-max was 2L tdi auto. Amazing torque, good stability. Missed the 4x4 of the Passat though, never spun a wheel with that.

Basically you are looking for a car with a decent kerb weight, I would not go below 1750 kg, good torque and power and something you can live with in everyday driving. The actual make and model is very personal and towing mileage tends to be far lower than solo. On that basis you want a car that will tow the caravan but best suits your life style.