Travelling with the gas heating on.

We have just ordered a new caravan for next season. One of the "New" features is a Truma twin cylinder regulator with crash shut off system.

Looking at the Truma website, the blurb says you can safely travel with the heating on because the regulator will automatically shut off the gas in the event of a shock.

I thought this would be only for motorhomes (aren't they heated from the engine whilst moving?) but the symbols show caravan use too. Obviously technology moves forward!

Link https://www.truma.com/uk/en/products/truma-caravan-rv-gas-fittings/truma-duocontrol-cs.html

I’ve been here before with this discussion, be prepared for incoming flak regarding using the heating whilst towing 😁. Being ex motorhome I often travelled with heating on, if I didn’t the passengers in the back froze! The heating was done by the truma system, some very posh motorhomes would use excess engine heat along with the gas system and in reverse you could heat the engine up prior to starting, lovely in the winter!
The problem is that my caravan has a relay which turns off the electric supply to the van including, in our case, the Alde heating.  So, as much as I want to take advantage of the crash sensor and rupture proof pigtail the caravan electrics are frustrating me.

You  do still have one advantage if you leave the gas on, the auto changeover on the fridge will work, so it will go from car to gas when you park up. The fridge has a fifteen minute delay before firing the gas which is to stop this happening if you were filling up with fuel. You don’t want spark ignition anywhere near petrol fumes!!

Edited by Stagn8

The motorhomes I have owned all had diesel powered heater/hot water systems and all cerified as safe for use when on the move.

Very convenient.

I did once read an article about someone who had installed a Webasto diesel fuelled system in a caravan with a small diesel tank in the locker.

I don't see the advantage of having the heating on in a caravan whilst on the move, even with a collision detector shut off valve.

We don't travel with the heating on in our caravan but we do have the crash sensor.

If you decide to try it good luck because with every trip we make with our caravan, the sensor is so sensitive that each time we arrive on site it has tripped during the journey and I have to reset it before we can get gas to our appliances.

Had the heating been on, can't see that it would have been on for long before the gas shut off.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back Bessacarr 845

I don't see why you would want the heating on whilst traveling with a caravan, if you put it on when you get to site by the time the caravan is set up it will be warm anyway.

So I've been wrong all my caravanning life in thinking the gas bottle had to be turned off when travelling.

Maybe a bit different driving one of those large cavernous open plan Winnebago's in the dead of winter without wearing a flyers heated thermal suit, probably make a difference then but a towed caravan, don't think so :rolleyes:.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back Bessacarr 845

We had a use whilst mobile regulator on our new Adria motorhome in 2008. Within weeks it had succumbed to the clagging up issue and the only replacement I could source nearby, during the trip, was a standard version. So we ended up not being able to use it whilst mobile anyway. Not that I ever intended using the gas heating when travelling because the van's cab heater provided more than enough heat. That's been the case on the two other campervans we've owned as well. It just seems to be a solution to a problem that most don't have.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

2 minutes ago, Steamdrivenandy said:

It just seems to be a solution to a problem that most don't have.

I tend to think the same way.

I have only had my heating on whilst travelling once. Actually through forgetting to turn it off. Setting off from home one February with the temperature around -4. The caravan was nice and warm 3 hours later when I arrived...

Both of my Vanmasters had the Alde wired into the fridge and alarm circuits so it did not go off when the habitation relay clicked in.

Regularly towed with the heating on in the middle of winter.

Ian

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.

In my opinion a waste of gas. The van soon warms up once on a pitch especially  with the Alde set up!

15 minutes ago, 664DaveS said:

In my opinion a waste of gas. The van soon warms up once on a pitch...

+1

8 hours ago, IanV8 said:

Regularly towed with the heating on in the middle of winter.

Ian

11 minutes ago, Vin Blanc said:

In my opinion, plain stupidity!

In the event of a major road accident,  a small fire can turn into a major inferno with a constant flow of gas from an open gas cylinder!

How would you then feel if young children were burned to death as a result? or indeed anyone for that matter?

Vin Blanc

Edited by Vin Blanc

10 minutes ago, Vin Blanc said:

In the event of a major road accident,  a small fire can turn into a major inferno with a major flow of gas from an open gas cylinder!

I think you perhaps missed the bit in the opening question that referred very specifically to the:

On 21/11/2021 at 14:43, staffordshirechina said:

Truma twin cylinder regulator with crash shut off system.

Based on @Griff's post above, even a very minor prang will shut off the gas…

On 21/11/2021 at 20:57, Griff said:

with our caravan, the sensor is so sensitive that each time we arrive on site it has tripped during the journey and I have to reset it before we can get gas to our appliances.

Personally though, I'd not travel with gas heating or gas fridge on in a caravan as I can’t see any benefit in doing so.  Gas shut of at the cylinder for every journey and only opened while we are 'in residence'.

Yes, I did miss reading those posts Reggie and I apologise.

Must pay more attention next time!

Yet another example of the onset of the dreaded "Premature Rigor Mortis" !!!            :D

Vin Blanc

I wouldn`t be driving onto a petrol station forecourt with a naked flame (which is what a fridge or heating on gas is).

The fact that the regulator shuts off doesn't alter the situation where the pipe either ruptures or gets detached from the cylinder in the case of an accident. Anyone who's seen bits of caravan and its contents strewn all over the carriageway will know that the cylinders don't necessarily stay  comfily strapped in and connected.

Motorhomes don't seem to evaporate like caravans do when there's an accident

Personally I'd rather shut the gas off at the cylinder just to be certain,  but each to their own

Edited by alicanto grande

In spite of my earlier apology to Reggie Perrin, I must still stand by my comments in that post and agree entirely with those of Reggie, Angus and alicanto grande.

Towing with the gas on is a recipe for disaster in caravans and should be banned by law!

At this point, I would really welcome any views offered by our very knowledgeable Mr (Andy) Plodd.

Come on Andy, dive in, please.     ;)

Vin Blanc

Edited by Vin Blanc

Personally I have never been fond of even carrying gas cylinders.  Even with all the "must have" shut off valvework available  mine will remain closed when on the move.

I was under the impression that the heating was to warm us when sat in the van and not when towing it.

Hasn't anyone heard of a BLEVE?

1 hour ago, robertB said:

Hasn't anyone heard of a BLEVE?

No, we have'nt.

VB

2 minutes ago, Vin Blanc said:

No, we have'nt.

VB

It's a term that originated in the US.

A BLEVE is a Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapour Explosion, which occurs when the pressurised liquid inside a vessel, such as a propane tank, reaches temperatures higher than that liquid’s boiling point. If the vessel can no longer contain the pressure inside of the sealed tank due to the high temperatures, it will mechanically fail, causing the explosion.

I recall seeing a video once covering exactly that scenario.

Holy mother !! You really don’t want to be anywhere near one :o

View  the below for a frightening demonstration!! 

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

5 hours ago, Legal Eagle said:

It's a term that originated in the US.

A BLEVE is a Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapour Explosion, which occurs when the pressurised liquid inside a vessel, such as a propane tank, reaches temperatures higher than that liquid’s boiling point. If the vessel can no longer contain the pressure inside of the sealed tank due to the high temperatures, it will mechanically fail, causing the explosion.

It's the critical temperature not boiling point that's important.  This is the temperature at which a vapour cannot be liquefied by pressure alone (it is also the temperature which distinguishes a vapour from a gas).

7 hours ago, CliveB said:

It's the critical temperature not boiling point that's important.  This is the temperature at which a vapour cannot be liquefied by pressure alone (it is also the temperature which distinguishes a vapour from a gas).

I just go by the B in bleve (boiling) and the long list of definitions which state "boiling". No point in splitting hairs, suffice to say it makes a big fiery bang!

Which brings us back to my original post and the question of why Truma feel it needs to make a regulator to allow you to have gas on whilst travelling.

Also why swift feel it is a desirable thing to fit to their caravans.

When I get the new 'van it will be interesting to see if the manual advises against travelling with the gas on!