Bailey three year warranty isn’t all it seems, mattress etc is only covered for 2 years

Mr Plodd

I have a 2019 Phoenix that’s approaching its third service (being done early of course!) 

The stitching holding the small fold  up top of the mattress to the main body of the mattress is coming unravelled! (See below) So I contacted my dealer and after submitting a warranty claim it was rejected by Leisure Furnishings who make them. The reason being that soft furnishings are only covered for two years not the three you would expect (Baileys have a three year warranty) 

I have double checked the warranty details and the soft furnishings are only covered for two years. So if you have a Bailey with the “hinged” mattress get checking before it’s due it’s second service just in case.

Its not going to be too difficult to repair, but that’s not really the point is it?

EBDAFB17-1E27-4FA2-A602-DDA480AA1F64.jpeg

FE2B2D44-77EC-41E8-92D9-BF9B814CA6E2.jpeg

2A5EB067-BF06-404E-BE48-D21C9397F62E.jpeg

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

• Mr Plodd changed the title to Bailey three year warranty isn’t all it seems, mattress etc is only covered for 2 years

Not the way I read it. Zips Seams and Colour are covered for 3 years.  That looks like a seam to me.  Unless they are saying that the mattress is not upholstery, which sounds a little nit picking.  

Edited by Alan Stanley

Generally caravanners don't realise that with most three year warranties on new caravans the first two years are covered by the manufacturer and the third year by the dealer, presumably on the grounds that any manufacturing issues (which is what the warranty is supposed to cover) should have been shaken out by then leaving only a few niggles for the dealer.

If British caravans had better design and better manufacturing inspection and quality control then this premise might well work, but..................... well we all know the answer to that one, don't we? ;)

Relevant section from Bailey Web Site.

3 Year Manufacturer’s Warranty

For a period of twenty-four (24) months from the initial date of purchase Bailey of Bristol offer a comprehensive warranty on all parts and components as well as full coverage for any manufacturing faults forming part of the original specification of the vehicle, with the following specified exceptions:

The following items are covered for one (1) year from the date of first registration

• Microwave Ovens
• JVC Stereo Radio/CD/MP3 Players & Speakers

The manufacturer’s warranty then extends to an additional twelve (12) months on the following items.

Chassis: all chassis members including corner steadies

Suspension: axle suspension and braking system (excluding any damage to or faults in brake drums and shoes that are caused through misuse of the braking system or from normal

wear and tear)

Running Gear: road wheels (excluding tyres)

Towing Mechanism: all mechanical components fitted to

vehicle (excluding electrics)

Cooker: the cooker unit including burners, grill, oven, flame

failure device and igniter

Refrigerator: door seal condenser, gas control valve, gas

igniter, flame failure device, 12v and 230v heater elements, gas thermostat, 230v thermostat and 230v temperature control switch

Water System: water heater (gas or electric), fresh water tank, water pump, water, gauges, taps and shower head

Electrical System: mains hook up input connector, ELCB, battery charger and

distributor unit and interior lighting units (excluding bulbs)

Cassette Toilet: the cassette toilet is covered (excluding seals,

valves and glands)

Heating System: thermostat, motor, switches, control unit, gas

heater, flame failure

device and igniter (excluding ducting and fittings)

Windows: the functionality of the opening and closing system

(stays, handles and catches) and a warranty against the

cracking of the acrylic

Upholstery: zips, seams and colour fastness

Which I still read as 3 years.

Good point ! 

I will I’ll give that a go and let you know how I get on. 

Upholstery: zips, seams and colour fastness

Dictionary meaning of Upholstery:  soft, padded textile covering that is fixed to furniture such as armchairs and sofas.

Edited by SamD

It’s not me you have to convince! 

when we bought our van we were told that everything has a 3 year warantee except the radio and microwave.  So reading the relevant bit, it states that  a) for a period of 24 months......... then b)  extends an additional 12 months  on the following ......  The fact that the claim was rejected by Leisure furnishings  has nothing whatsoever to do with  you,  your contract is with the dealers and Bailey, which you know anyway.  Saying all this, it is so annoying when you have purchased something in good faith and yet as soon as it goes wrong they don't want to know. 

I am going to go back to my Dealer with a lengthy email so watch this space for a future update ! 

Reads to me that it's not you with a problem in that Bailey's subcontractor Leisure Furnishings is rejecting the claim, but your dealer has a problem how he is going to resolve it.

Obviously ultimately it would be for a court to decide, but a claim under CRA 2015, or a small claims court, could well get the dealer reconsidering their position.

From a personal standpoint, the more of us who force the issue with the powerful tools we now have, then the sooner this type of nonsense will be a thing of the past, allowing us to purchase vans with greater confidence. Either they will be sorted, or designed out in the first place, where dealers want to remain in business.

Our previous van, a Vigo had a problem with the mattress cover stretching. It was recovered as still in warranty, but after a while a lot of the stitching was coming adrift.

A further warranty claim and some calls from the dealer resulted in a new one!

They wanted to recover again  it but I refused it as one repair had been attempted, the dealer supported me.

Edited by 664DaveS

This is what they have had.  Watch this space! 

Hi xxxxxxx

Having thought about this matter, and, in light of the response you have received, I have carefully  re-read the terms of the Bailey three year warranty and I disagree totally with the response you have received.  

My claim under the warranty is with Bailey (warranty details copied below) and not one of their suppliers. It matters not what Leisure Furnishings have to say on the matter, they are not the providers of the warranty, Bailey are.  

I have copied the wording of the warranty below and highlighted the relevant words 

3 Year Manufacturer’s Warranty 

For a period of twenty-four (24) months from the initial date of purchase Bailey of Bristol offer a comprehensive warranty on all parts and components as well as full coverage for any manufacturing faults forming part of the original specification of the vehicle, with the following specified exceptions: 

The following items are covered for one (1) year from the date of first registration 
• Microwave Ovens 
• JVC Stereo Radio/CD/MP3 Players & Speakers 

The manufacturer’s warranty then extends to an additional twelve (12) months on the following items. 
• Chassis: all chassis members including corner steadies 
• Suspension: axle suspension and braking system (excluding any damage to or faults in brake drums and shoes that are caused through misuse of the braking system or from normal 
wear and tear) 
• Running Gear: road wheels (excluding tyres) 
• Towing Mechanism: all mechanical components fitted to 
vehicle (excluding electrics) 
• Cooker: the cooker unit including burners, grill, oven, flame 
failure device and igniter 
• Refrigerator: door seal condenser, gas control valve, gas 
igniter, flame failure device, 12v and 230v heater elements, gas thermostat, 230v thermostat and 230v temperature control switch 
• Water System: water heater (gas or electric), fresh water tank, water pump, water, gauges, taps and shower head 
• Electrical System: mains hook up input connector, ELCB, battery charger and 
• distributor unit and interior lighting units (excluding bulbs) 
• Cassette Toilet: the cassette toilet is covered (excluding seals, 
valves and glands) 
• Heating System: thermostat, motor, switches, control unit, gas 
heater, flame failure 
• device and igniter (excluding ducting and fittings) 
• Windows: the functionality of the opening and closing system 
(stays, handles and catches) and a warranty against the 
cracking of the acrylic 
• Upholstery: zips, seams and colour fastness 

I make the initial 24 months, plus 12 months to be a total of 36 months and not the 24 Bailey are claiming. My caravan is not yet three years old, so is still within its three year “comprehensive warranty” period. 

The defect I have is with a seam on part of the original equipment.The Oxford English Dictionary definition of a seam is.... 

“a line along which two edges of cloth, etc. are joined or sewn together “ 
see this link 
https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english /seam 

Therefore can you please resubmit my warranty claim, to Bailey, detailing the above requesting that they comply with their own warranty wording and arrange for the repair of this defective seam, or replacement of the entire mattress. 

Thanks. 

Andy Xxxxx 

********************* UPDATE********************

Ha !!!!!!

Just had my dealer back on the phone. Bailey have backed down once they saw my argument and are sending me a whole new mattress !!!

Apparently the very last line in their warranty (zips and seams) was only added a short while ago, which was a bit of a mistake because the mattress suppliers only give a two year warranty. Bailey’s problem not the customers though ! So ckearly Bailey thought they could brush me off, wrong! 

A big big thank you to Alan Stanley for pointing out the details though :D

So for anyone else in a similar position you now know the way to go. 

Edited by Mr Plodd

Well done Mr Plodd :)

Ha ha imagine if you bought a car and they started to dissect what was covered for 1 2 or 3 years This is a crazy industry situation. Perhaps worth a  class action via trading standards. So many are caught out by this and quite innocently feel aggrieved.  We need clarity at the point of delivery not something hidden in a mass of small print please 

The argument I used with Bailey was that If I bought a Ford Kuga, and the drivers seat broke would Ford say “Hard luck mate, the seat is made by X and their warranty is a year less than ours” 

When read carefully the Bailey warranty is pretty clear, and that’s what I used against them, and won! 

Well done. I am afraid most caravan warranties exclude far too much before the third year, including the front and rear panels. We have a Lunar though so the warranty is irrelevant

Very well done you. In defence of caravan makers though I agree with  the above and they do cop out very well-masters in the art in fact, car makers do do similar-you'll see paint warranties are different to rust -but that the rust is from inside out only, and things like clutch and brakes are classed as wear and tear and you have to prove faulty manufacture-good luck with that with a clutch before they'll consider a claim. Warranties are a minefield imo!  Why we never bother with extended ones unless like Richer Sounds they are bullet proof, cheap and you get your money back after the period is up!