Service history

I purchased a used caravan from a main dealer earlier this year.  It came with service history in the form of stamps in the book but no paper back up.  When I asked for the paperwork, I was told that due to GDPR they were not able to provide any.  I then asked for the service report that had been done by them prior to sale, no GDPR conflict as supposedly done by them for the sale.  Part of the sales contract full service and new tyres.  Sorry we are not allowed to provide this, but you do get a two year dealer warranty.  This seemed a big cop out to me, anyone else had a similar experience?

Same thing happened to us,  even rang the dealer who serviced the caravan but could get any infomation from them either under  the data protection act, all I wanted was info on the things that had gone wrong with the van over the 5 year they had serviced it.  Its not if I wanted the last owner  infomation.

Which was left in the front of the sevices book, with the original bill of sale.   I did contact him to get the alarm code. He sent me copies of all work done on the van since new.

Connie .

Same with cars.

Just bought one that had all the paperwork when I tested it, but nothing when I picked it up.

Sneaky me had photographed it all :o and I'd already been in contact with the previous owner!

It would be easy enough for a dealer (car or caravan) to put the service records through their photocopier with another piece of paper over the personal details so they cannot be seen  IF they wanted to wouldn’t it??

Like a lot of things people are now “hiding” behind such things as GDPR, or blaming “delays” on Covid/driver/shortages/staffing issues. I am certain that some  of the delays etc are being impacted by those reasons, I am equally sure that a lot are not! 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

The GDPR will only apply to personal data.  Not the condition of an inanimate object.  Yes it's a COP out.  Were I purchasing a 2nd hand caravan that still fell within the manufacturers warranty period then no way would I go ahead without confirmation in writing of the service history and transfer to my name.  Anything other is a gamble on nothing more than the spoken word of someone who just wants your money.  Stamps in a book mean nothing without confirmation from the manufacturer that they have been properly recorded.

If you do not have the service documents then you may not get the makers guarantee. The idea of blanking out the previous owners name should work although you might have to check with the caravan maker to see. 

The two year guarantee from the dealer needs to be backed by an insurer to be a safe option. 

Possibly the problem is when the dealer trades it in. they could avoid the problem if they ask the previous owner permission to release copies of the service records and so covering themselves. 

My suggestion about blanking out the name is so that a new owner can have proof of what works (servicing) have actually been carried out.

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

3 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

My suggestion about blanking out the name is so that a new owner can have proof of what works (servicing) have actually been carried out.

Absolutely, the workshop paperwork confirms the van chassis number, what was completed and when. It shouldn't make a difference who is named on the top of the page. It is the van being serviced not the owner. Not sure if that reads right but you now what I mean🙄

What about Freedom of Information Act?  Data Protection Act.  One cancels the other one out me thinks

2 hours ago, Babstreefern said:

What about Freedom of Information Act?  Data Protection Act.  One cancels the other one out me thinks

Sorry that won't work - Freedom of Information only applies to Public Authorities and Organisations. See link below.

https://www.gov.uk/make-a-freedom-of-information-request

My wife had to do some Government forms for her voluntary job as a Councellor.

She keeps some very sensitive information on her clients.

Its all kept on old fashioned paper......GDPR didn't apply.

So a paper bill.....does GDPR apply to that???

Why do you feel that GDPR doesn’t apply to paper? I am reasonably certain GDPR applies to any and every format of data collection including paper. For instance if your wife left those secure documents on a bus she could be arrested under the terms of GDPR.  Your written doctors notes, your pharmacy prescriptions, all covered by GDPR!

As an addition, if there is ANYTHING on that bill that can link it to you as an individual, such as D.O.B, phone number then it is covered by GDPR

Just odd that she didn't need to be registered for GDPR (from what she said), as her client notes were all paper based.

Might have to row back on that.

Exceptions include;

Processing personal information without an automated system such as a computer.

So, she was correct sorry.

But, if that information is also stored on a computer somewhere it would potentially be a different matter.

Thank you for your responses.  I feel less put upon now I am not the only one!  I am curious as to how warranty will be transferred without service history.  When I transferred warranty with my previous Bailey they wanted copies of the invoices for proof of service.   Has anyone had experience of this yet?

Looks a serious problem, but I have not seen any posts on it. Possibly it needs service invoice to be sent to caravan maker as it is carried out so they can see it has been done.  This is the only safe way for them as when looking at a new model and pointing out the delivery date would take it past the service date for the old one I was told by the salesman that if it was a problem they could provide an invoice and stamp!

Is it possible that servicing was all done by Approved Workshops registered with Bailey and were able to post details direct to their database?

Perhaps worth giving Bailey a ring and asking?