Coachman 565 or Elddis 574

Hi, I’m new here. A few months ago, without much idea, we bought a coachman 675 with the pullout double bed, lovely caravan, all the extras, but after one night in it with 2 kids sleeping in the double bed and me having to climb over their legs to get to the toilet I knew we had made a mistake. We’ve managed to sell the caravan privately and we are now looking for one with twin fixed single beds. I really like the Elddis Affinity 574 arrangement but my husband wants another Coachman the 565 as he says the last one was perfect apart from the bed, I actually didn’t like the end bathroom as there wasn’t much room, the shower door was big and awkward and the sink design meant there was water on the surface top always! The twin bed version will have a central door so hopefully some of those problems will be sorted, but I just think they all look boring compared to the Elddis 574, mad I know. 
As a compromise we have looked at an Adria Altea Tyne 612, but we live a long way from any dealers so going to view any is a bit of a task. Any advice appreciated. 
We don’t want as wide as 8’.
Thanks 😁

I think you buy what you like,we love our Elddis built Buc, and it has been pretty much faultless. I rummaged round a Coachmans and Elddus  last week at Robinsons and the Elddis seem netter vfm but there are a few more complaints on surveys . We have no complaints!

We have the Coachman 565 Acadia. We like the layout and the roomy bathroom. You will still have the awful bathroom sink but apart from that the layout suits us.

If you look at the Practical Caravan customer surveys you will find Coachman are normally first or second for customer satisfaction and Elddis are bottom or second bottom. If quality is what you want then Coachman is a far safer bet but they are not prefect by any means. 

When looking at layouts and interiors this is very personal and I understand your problems having had three children with us at one time. I would agree that the layouts here are better in solving your problems from our point of view.  The central toilet also gives some decent separation which should help.

Search Elddis and cracked panel - the phrase barge pole comes to mind.

If it's any help we had 3 perfect trouble free years with a Unicorn Cadiz.

Whatever else you do get a copy of the warranties and read them including the small print.  It is a very sobering read.

I don't think that tarring current Elddis vans with the cracked panel issue is fair-have seen plenty of Coachman's with a similar issue and plenty of grumbles about new Coachmans recently.  If you want a perfect caravan it appears to be pot luck but we had a 2017 Bailey and our 2 year old Buc has only had two very minor faults in 2 years-sticky awning light relay and a  slightly  warped locker door ( found by dealer at service not us) which will be replaced under warranty by the dealer as soon as they get one in. No quibble.  We had far more on our Bailey-dechroming tap, leaking loo cassette, and the most frustrating-sealant every where but most importantly blocking the awning rail channel completely-night mare and most of a day for me to sort out. All bar the awning rail was warranty work and completed brilliantly but speak as you find.  2 years in the Buc is the best made caravan we've ever had the best vfm and the best equipped-and equally as well put together as the Coachman which we rummaged round before buying.  We could be lucky ? 

On 09/11/2021 at 07:44, ascsbe said:

We have the Coachman 565 Acadia. We like the layout and the roomy bathroom. You will still have the awful bathroom sink but apart from that the layout suits us.

hi, ascsbe, thanks for your reply.

I read someplace someone complaining about lower beds with less storage, do you find this?  Also, sorry for questions, do you find the beds narrow? We’ve not managed to see one with this layout yet. 😀

There is a huge amount of storage in this model. Under both beds is unrestricted space and you have wall lockers down both sides. On the 2020 model you have to lift the beds on gas struts to access the space as no front access from inside the van. You have exterior access on the awning side. I would say you would never fill all the storage available.

On the bed front I suppose it depends how big you are.  I think they are 2ft 6 inches wide. We are both  ok size and don't have a problem.  Obviously the new 8ft wide vans would have wider beds.  

Don't hesitate to ask if you need more info.

Regards

Andrew

On 09/11/2021 at 14:53, Jezzerb said:

I don't think that tarring current Elddis vans with the cracked panel issue is fair-have seen plenty of Coachman's with a similar issue and plenty of grumbles about new Coachmans recently.  If you want a perfect caravan it appears to be pot luck but we had a 2017 Bailey and our 2 year old Buc has only had two very minor faults in 2 years-sticky awning light relay and a  slightly  warped locker door ( found by dealer at service not us) which will be replaced under warranty by the dealer as soon as they get one in. No quibble.  We had far more on our Bailey-dechroming tap, leaking loo cassette, and the most frustrating-sealant every where but most importantly blocking the awning rail channel completely-night mare and most of a day for me to sort out. All bar the awning rail was warranty work and completed brilliantly but speak as you find.  2 years in the Buc is the best made caravan we've ever had the best vfm and the best equipped-and equally as well put together as the Coachman which we rummaged round before buying.  We could be lucky ? 

I do agree that getting a good caravan from any maker is a bit pot luck although you can tip the scales in your favour by buying one make against another , using a good dealer and checking the new model very carefully before accepting it. It is a act that when the Practical Caravan customer survey has been carried out Coachman have easily beaten Elddis by a considerable margin so on that basis and other things being equal I would say Coachman is a better bet. 

I wouldn't say a considerable margin-but yes you're right and you might be lucky and get fewer faults-but all uk makers range between 80 and 90 % satisfaction-not a big amount.  Actual 79 v 88 % .  Adria were just a percentage better still-interests me how both Adria and Coachman produce vans in smaller numbers- fewer faults or fewer buyers to report faults-I know they say they adjust but..........I always find the same with car surveys -maybe they make them slower and better or maybe not. But the difference is so small we didn't base our choice on the surveys at all-and we're jolly glad we didn't -our van has so far only had 2 faults-neither of which was down to manufacture of the vehice but external parts. 

TBH the figures mean to me that you need to expect niggles in any caravan-and youi'r lucky if not!

Edited by Jezzerb

All makes of caravans can, any many do, have faults. However don’t mistake faults with bought in items, such as fridges cookers or even windows, which the caravan manufacturer doesn’t make so has no control over, with build quality of what they are being fitted into. 

Many grizzle about excessive sealant in awning channels. I would say just two things in regards to that.

1. At least it shows there’s plenty of sealant present (awning rail fixings can leak!)
  2. Its an easy enough DIY job to clean it out.

Avoid any caravan that has external ABS panels, they have been well proven to not be up to the job, and are exceedingly expensive to replace (many £1000’s )  that’s why some manufacturers will only warrant them for 12 months and the rest of the GRP for up to ten years. Lots of horror stories on this forum about ABS panels. 

Good luck with your search, and be sure to be ruled by your head and not your heart! 

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Thank you for all your advice, we’ve decided to pick the closest(ish) dealer, which is an Adria one, they have (or are getting) an Adria Adora Seine in, it has the twin beds, as I read on this forum buy as local as you can and chose the layout that suits then the manufacturer. 🤞🏻
I’ll keep you posted! X

Nice ,I think a close good dealer is by far a top priority if the caravan suits. Enjoy.

23 hours ago, Jezzerb said:

I wouldn't say a considerable margin-but yes you're right and you might be lucky and get fewer faults-but all uk makers range between 80 and 90 % satisfaction-not a big amount.  Actual 79 v 88 % .  Adria were just a percentage better still-interests me how both Adria and Coachman produce vans in smaller numbers- fewer faults or fewer buyers to report faults-I know they say they adjust but..........I always find the same with car surveys -maybe they make them slower and better or maybe not. But the difference is so small we didn't base our choice on the surveys at all-and we're jolly glad we didn't -our van has so far only had 2 faults-neither of which was down to manufacture of the vehice but external parts. 

TBH the figures mean to me that you need to expect niggles in any caravan-and youi'r lucky if not!

My feeling is that the Adria and Coachman are more solid. If you compare weights with their competitors these two are the heaviest. Elddis who generally come bottom in the surveys tend to be the lightest since Lunar went. Possibly a stronger structure helps when it comes to preventing flexing and leaks. 

On 13/11/2021 at 15:57, Mr Plodd said:

void any caravan that has external ABS panels, they have been well proven to not be up to the job, and are exceedingly expensive to replace (many £1000’s ) 

True, but that knocks both Coachman and Elddis out of the race.

Not sure if Adria have ABS panels, but Elddis  ABS panels used to come from Slovakia

So we’ve been to see the Adria Adora Seine, I really liked it, other half not keen, he still wants a Coachman, how can I persuade him to change his mind?? 🤔

Don't -support uk workers and buy a Coachman-much better tech too-ADria still wood inside even if it does have decent reviews

2 hours ago, Jezzerb said:

Don't -support uk workers and buy a Coachman-much better tech too-ADria still wood inside even if it does have decent reviews

Elddis still have wood inside as well.

Most of the plywood and parts are European sourced too

The choice in this case was coachman or Adria.  Adria wood frame coachman not or so I understand.

18 minutes ago, Jezzerb said:

The choice in this case was coachman or Adria.  Adria wood frame coachman not or so I understand.

Both manufactures use wood in all their panels, Adria prefer to use traditional reinforced wood for their frame due to torsional strength but is encased in a polyester body, Coachman remain traditional also by using an Aluminium outer sidewall or skin.

Personally I’d forget all that and go for layout every time (plus a good reputable dealer, locally ideally! that’s often the big ask). Both offer a 10 year ingress warranty. I’d be very happy with either brand.

Cheers, Martin

Me too . You've got to love what you buy. Why we bought our Buc. So far great. Didn't realise coachman were still wood. Just Bailey and Swift woodless bodies then though bailey ply floors.

On 23/11/2021 at 07:52, Jezzerb said:

Coachman 565 or Elddis 574 from the thread title

Think you were correct about Coachman and PU framing though

https://www.coachman.co.uk/abc/

Edited by Benny65

Yes but op seems to be moved to Adria and coachman if you read latest posts. .thanks though thought they were. Puts me in coachman camp even more.

The latest results of the Pc and C&CC survey ae just out. Adria came out just ahead of Coachman, but there is not a lot in it. Elddis were last again with Swift and Bailey in the middle but well behind the first two.  Make what you will of it, but the positions are consistent with the previous surveys, so should be credible.