Caravan Club Deposits

sandy

Hi

I don't normally read the club magazine but my other half pointed out a piece in the latest issue. It stated the Club are now investigating the possibility of charging for bookings. A warden on a site we visited suggested this may happen because of serial abuse of the cancellation policy, book in the possibility of going then cancel at the last possible time without penalty

I'm personally not bothered about the serial bookers/cancellers as my wife and I would book available pitches on a site we want to visit and wait checking on the internet and when the cancellations come in as they always do  simply book them so to extend our stay.

Regards

Sandy

Edited by sandy
Typo

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Charging for bookings is different to deposits in my opinion. 

So which is it? 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

1 minute ago, WispMan said:

Charging for bookings is different to deposits in my opinion. 

So which is it? 

Deposits

About time IMHO.  Serial bookings have been screwing up the system since its inception.  No problems with the Camping and Caravan Club who have been charging a deposit for decades and do not as a consequence suffer from this.

40 minutes ago, GarryandTrish said:

This should have been done years ago.

They used to take deposits! Quite a few years ago though!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

58 minutes ago, Alan Stanley said:

… Serial bookings have been screwing up the system since its inception  … 

Alan, this is definitely not the case according to the CMC themselves.

I can remember at least 3 occasions over the last 10 years that they’ve put out a statement saying that there isn’t a big problem.  And if members perceive there  to be one, then asking for deposits wouldn’t fix it.

I’m not saying I agree or disagree with their statementS, I’m just quoting what they’ve said. Personally (like the OP) I’ve always managed to book into a clubsite that I want to go to on the dates I want to go - without booking a year ahead!

Jim

2 hours ago, Alan Stanley said:

About time IMHO.  Serial bookings have been screwing up the system since its inception. 

Alan, I have no idea where you get that idea from, that is not, nor has it been the case for many years

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

2 hours ago, Alan Stanley said:

About time IMHO. 

I agree whole heartedly.   A few years ago I wanted to do a 10 day stay at the Chirk Club site.   I wasn't able to book the ten days because a Friday and a Saturday night were already fully booked.   Instead I had to book at a CL about four miles away.      Just out of interest I walked around the Chirk site on the Saturday afternoon and saw 3 empty pitches.    Probably cancelled at the last minute - maybe even because of the poor weather forecast for that weekend.   No!   I would certainly have no objection to a £20 non-returnable deposit being taken with my booking.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

41 minutes ago, Steven said:

Alan, I have no idea where you get that idea from, that is not, nor has it been the case for many years

The responses on here over many years prove that it is the case, let alone my own experiences. Plus the fact that they are considering it shows.  When in conversation on the club stand a few shows back I was told it was not possible to book multiple sites for the same days, so I showed them how to do it. Went very quiet.  

Until there is an effective sanction people can and will do it

44 minutes ago, Alan Stanley said:

The responses on here over many years prove that it is the case, let alone my own experiences. Plus the fact that they are considering it shows.  When in conversation on the club stand a few shows back I was told it was not possible to book multiple sites for the same days, so I showed them how to do it. Went very quiet.  

The only way to book multiple sites on the same day is by having more than one membership number as the system checks the booking against that.

With regards the responses on here, they have usually been from those that wanted to book longer breaks over weekends usually nearer the date of travel where the chosen site is booked.

For as many that can’t always book a year in advance, there are just as many that can and are happy with the current arrangement.

There is a contingent that thinks by taking a deposit it will stop this, to a degree that maybe so, but unless the deposit is significant and is per booked night as opposed to say £10 for the whole booking, many will just pay the nominal amount and carry on.

It also depends on how the CMC treat cancelled bookings and whether  the deposit can be transferred or is lost.

I don’t have a care either way, I have on very rare occasions not been able to book my first choice, but have always found alternatives near by, and could if required pay deposits because after all if you have a genuine booking whatever you pay up front is less to pay on the day.

But what if the bring in of deposits doesn’t stop the perceived block bookings of weekend, what will you blame then?

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

32 minutes ago, Alan Stanley said:

I don't think the club has said yet what it will do, simply that there will a change next year. They may be considering a booking fee.  As far as multi bookings is concerned, you can't do it. I tried to see if it was possible, and got a pop-up telling me I was not permitted to do it.

12 minutes ago, Ern said:

I don't think the club has said yet what it will do, simply that there will a change next year. They may be considering a booking fee.  As far as multi bookings is concerned, you can't do it. I tried to see if it was possible, and got a pop-up telling me I was not permitted to do it.

Ern, do you mean a “booking fee” or do you mean an upfront deposit that is deducted from the final overall cost of the stay?

There's a very long thread running about this on the CMC Club Together forum.

Lot's of speculation but there seems to be a general consensus that deposits of some sort or another will be happening.

TBH I've never believed the rhetoric that there isn't a problem with speculative bookings. It's plain to see all the time.

I reckon that many new members will have been hugely dissatisfied having paid for a membership only to find they can't book a decent trip until 1 year hence.

About time they fixed it ..

33 minutes ago, Steven said:

But what if the bring in of deposits doesn’t stop the perceived block bookings of weekend, what will you blame then?

So long as the deposits are significant and including full loss of the entire fee within say 14 days, problem will be fixed absolutely.

And if it isn't, there won't be any financial hit!!!

4 minutes ago, Readingblue said:

There's a very long thread running about this on the CMC Club Together forum.

Lot's of speculation but there seems to be a general consensus that deposits of some sort or another will be happening.

TBH I've never believed the rhetoric that there isn't a problem with speculative bookings. It's plain to see all the time.

I reckon that many new members will have been hugely dissatisfied having paid for a membership only to find they can't book a decent trip until 1 year hence.

About time they fixed it ..

So long as the deposits are significant and including full loss of the entire fee within say 14 days, problem will be fixed absolutely.

And if it isn't, there won't be any financial hit!!!

Quite right.  The vast majority of the problem is speculative bookings.  It also has hidden numbers in as much as each booking can disappoint multiple members.  The ability to speculatively book and then cancel up 3 days before without sanction is just plain stupid.

Then I can assure you it is possible to book two sites on the same days for many of the sites using a little creative thinking. 

What are we paying a membership fee for  if we don't get something out of it  The CMC have 1m. members at £54 per year, that's a lot of income  guaranteed for any business .  I like the no deposits and the  cancellation scheme and finding ones own pitch.  

For those of you who think that deposits will stop the weekend booking, I don't see how. We have noticed in the last couple of years that instead of folk booking a site   for 5 or 7 days  and leave  Friday  as used to be the case,  it's now Sunday  or Monday before they leave, sometimes Tuesday. For us who book 2 or 3 sites at a time, sometimes 4 , of course we stay a couple of week ends. A booking system could cost us a lot  as we have taken advantage lately of changing or cancelling sites, mostly for health reasons or hospital appointments and also for family  on one occasion. 

If the CMC did start charging for deposits I am  sure that we would cancel our membership and look else where, even if there were deposits we would at least save the £54 membership fee. 

I am quite happy to pay a deposit

20 minutes ago, Oscarmax said:

I am quite happy to pay a deposit

:Plus1:

When we were looking to book for our holiday we found that all the sites we were interested in were booked for every weekend throughout the summer and so we couldn't book for a full week, just Sunday to Friday. Even now the three Peak District sites (Castleton, Chatsworth and Poolsbook) are fully booked for Friday/Saturday 26/27 November. How many of those will be cancelled at the last minute if the forecast is for rain?

This was copied from another site

Reply from Caravan and Motorhome Club (previously The Caravan Club)

6 days ago

Dear Frank thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I am sorry you have struggled to book a pitch this year. We have been exceptionally busy with lots of members choosing to stay in the UK rather than venture overseas. We have implemented a new late availability tool and done everything we can to increase the number of pitches available . We do monitor cancellations and if anyone is seen to be abusing the system we do take a hard line. We have had to remain somewhat flexible as we are still in the midst of a pandemic and do have people not being able to make their bookings due to illness or needing to isolate.
We are in the process of reviewing and implementing an entirely new booking system which will hopefully go live next year , this will include reviewing the need for deposits. There is information coming out in the magazine so do keep an eye.
Louise

26 minutes ago, DerbyClubman said:

:Plus1:

When we were looking to book for our holiday we found that all the sites we were interested in were booked for every weekend throughout the summer and so we couldn't book for a full week, just Sunday to Friday. Even now the three Peak District sites (Castleton, Chatsworth and Poolsbook) are fully booked for Friday/Saturday 26/27 November. How many of those will be cancelled at the last minute if the forecast is for rain?

How close to the date you wanted to stay was it?

The people that book Castleton and Chatsworth are often walkers who will go regardless of the weather.

If there are 'serial abusers' of the booking system then why not target them?

The booking system is basically a database and it will be a simple job to compile reports that would highlight exactly who they are and they could then be warned/banned.

And if people are managing to book several sites for the same dates then again a simple report job or better  still amend the database to make it impossible.

2 minutes ago, The road toad said:

The booking system is basically a database and it will be a simple job to compile reports that would highlight exactly who they are and they could then be warned/banned.

Regardless of whether or not we like 'serial booking' and late cancellations of those bookings, if the club rules, systems and policies allow those things to happen, why should members  be warned or barred for exploiting the bookings and cancellations within those rules, systems and policies?  

Fix the system first and then sanction the transgressors.

We want to go to a particular CC site next year so that we can attend a local event. The organisers will not announce the dates until mid December. To make sure we get our booking we have made two 21 day long bookings on the site. 
The day we know the dates we need we will cancel the rest. That means they will be freed up three months before they occur, giving people plenty of chance to book them.

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

1 hour ago, Steven said:

How close to the date you wanted to stay was it?

The people that book Castleton and Chatsworth are often walkers who will go regardless of the weather.

Perhaps that was a poor example but I'm sure I could find others - I just looked  at the three nearest sites that were still open and selected a weekend date at random a few weeks ahead.

9 minutes ago, DerbyClubman said:

Perhaps that was a poor example but I'm sure I could find others - I just looked  at the three nearest sites that were still open and selected a weekend date at random a few weeks ahead.

The trick is not to look a few weeks ahead but a few days ahead instead.