Yet another one changes from a CL to a small commercial site!

PR1

Had a great week on Seabreeze CL at Appledore!

Lovely site to pop and see the grandchildren!

Reading the sign on the gate it is now going to be turned into a small commercial site with up to 20 pitches!

Probably still use it though because of its great position and lovely owners!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

Good news - more pitches will be available, and will no longer be restricted to people in one particular club.

1 minute ago, moorgate said:

Good news - more pitches will be available, and will no longer be restricted to people in one particular club.

Totally agree.  This five van ruling is so out dated! 

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

19 minutes ago, PR1 said:

I thought that the whole point of these sites was that landowners could set them up without planning permission from the local authority as long as they had been inspected and certified by the Caravan Club or the Camping Club (plus a few other approved organisations). These sites are then only available to members of those organisations.

The 20 pitch commercial site mentioned in the opening post must have gone through the full planning process which could have included objections from neighbours and restrictions placed on the operators by the local authority.

If you feel the five van ruling is so outdated, how could it be improved?

26 minutes ago, PR1 said:

Disagree entirely. We like the five van sites, they are usually quiet and in places we probably wouldn't normally visit. Also I believe five van sites circumnavigate licencing and planning rules, as long as the are certified by approved clubs. Most the ones we visit are not big enough for more than five van, anything larger would spoil the locations. There is a place for five van sites and as long as they exist we will use them. Outdated - never.

8 hours ago, DerbyClubman said:

I thought that the whole point of these sites was that landowners could set them up without planning permission from the local authority as long as they had been inspected and certified by the Caravan Club or the Camping Club (plus a few other approved organisations).

Not strictly true. A  CL with only a tap and Toilet disposal needs no planning acceptance.

As soon as you get into Toilets, Showers, Hard standings you need planning approval!

As for a few other approved organisations, well there are not a few there are dozens!

I will try to find the list!

2 hours ago, PR1 said:

As for a few other approved organisations, well there are not a few there are dozens!

More like hundreds, PR1.

Is this the list you’re thinking of?

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/743721/caravan-exemptions.pdf

Some weird and wonderful names on there 🙂

Jim

11 hours ago, MacSpot said:

Disagree entirely. We like the five van sites, they are usually quiet and in places we probably wouldn't normally visit. Also I believe five van sites circumnavigate licencing and planning rules, as long as the are certified by approved clubs. Most the ones we visit are not big enough for more than five van, anything larger would spoil the locations. There is a place for five van sites and as long as they exist we will use them. Outdated - never.

:Plus1::goodpost:

11 hours ago, MacSpot said:

:goodpost::Plus1:

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

11 minutes ago, -Jim- said:

More like hundreds, PR1.

Is this the list you’re thinking of?

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/743721/caravan-exemptions.pdf

Some weird and wonderful names on there 🙂

Jim

Yes hundreds holding exemption certificates but not all choose to set up CL/CS sites, I can only think of two the caravan club and also caravan & camping club.

They can make use of the exemption certificates in this way due to their large memberships.

21 minutes ago, -Jim- said:

More like hundreds, PR1.

There are three categories of exemption, rallies, CLs and 'permanent' sites, the latter being that used by the C&CC to run its THSs.  Not all exempted organisations are granted the full suite, most are only granted the exemption for rallies. There's actually only a handful (among which  CMC, C&CC, Motorhome Club and CSMA are the most prominent) that are allowed to facilitate more than rallies. To be technical the three categories are Article 4 (permanent), Article 5 (5 van sites) and Article 6 ('meetings of members' i.e. rallies) of the Schedule to the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960.

Edited by MalH

MalH

The smaller club I'm in  at first could only hold rallies of up to five days and for holidays used to have 3 x 5 days in adjacent or nearby farms.

Now a long time later can hold holiday rallies of something like 4 weeks. (28 days?)

17 minutes ago, David 38 said:

The smaller club I'm in  at first could only hold rallies of up to five days and for holidays used to have 3 x 5 days in adjacent or nearby farms.

That sounds like a violin to me! When I was a DA secretary many moons ago I got into trouble with C&CC HQ for trying to bend the rules in a similar fashion! Another ruse is to have a 5 van site and other 5 on a nearby field on a 'private' basis - I know of several CLs which lost their certification for doing that.

12 hours ago, MacSpot said:

There is a place for five van sites and as long as they exist we will use them. Outdated - never.

Just for the record - the C&CClub's licence is for 5 caravan pitches and 10 tent pitches.   In September last year I stayed on a C&CC CS in Devon and my pitch was number 9 (on hard standing)

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

I can't blame any site owner for wanting to increase his income, by increasing pitch numbers, especially in the present climate of increased van ownership and pressure on available pitches.

Many owners set up a CL as a way of testing the water, getting experience on running a site and getting expert advice on the requirements. I assume the owners have been turning away potential customers and are happy that they can fill a lot more pitches, so have expanded. It might put a few people off who liked the smaller site but overall if you liked it I think most will be happy and the potential is there for a wider range of customers.

3 hours ago, MalH said:

That sounds like a violin to me! When I was a DA secretary many moons ago I got into trouble with C&CC HQ for trying to bend the rules in a similar fashion! Another ruse is to have a 5 van site and other 5 on a nearby field on a 'private' basis - I know of several CLs which lost their certification for doing that.

Do not understand the violin bit.

I do not know if a requirement but the club I'm referring to notifies the local authority of the intention to hold the rally (ies) in advance.

I've often been on CMC Cls and the location also has its own licence, so CMC not withdrawing CL licence.   Also been on a farms rally field on a rally which had a CL and it's own licence site. 

2 hours ago, David 38 said:

Do not understand the violin bit.

I do not know if a requirement but the club I'm referring to notifies the local authority of the intention to hold the rally (ies) in advance.

I've often been on CMC Cls and the location also has its own licence, so CMC not withdrawing CL licence.   Also been on a farms rally field on a rally which had a CL and it's own licence site. 

What's a colloquial name for a violin?

There's nothing to prevent a landowner having a licence for one field and obtaining a 5 van certificate for another, it's a question of whether the club concerned are happy to grant it, bearing in mind that they have to consult the LA before doing so and must not proceed in the face of valid objections. Likewise, there's no impediment to having a rally field as well. The CMC will withdraw their certificate if a landowner is blatantly bending the rules to have more than 5 vans.

• 1 month later...

I can think of several venues in the North West where the landowners has booked more than one rally on his field ( notice the singular). One particular venue had 5 separate rallies on at the same time, although the venue had enough room to host the rallies, entrance and exiting, as you can imagine, was a problem.