Shake down trip definitely picked up some snags.

Ironeddie

I write this from my conway crusader, not 15 minutes from home feeling very glad to have done a local trip for my first one. 

First off the Chapel Lane caravan club site is lovely and if every caravan club site is like this for facilities and feeling welcome then I'll be very pleased. 

Does anyone sell milenco aero 4s as a single? Yup on such a short drive an audi overtook too close and took the whole mirror, arm the lot off. 🤬 Maybe I should fork out for another pair and then I'll have a spare. 

Couple of little niggles, I'm on a fully serviced pitch but the hose I'd bought for waste is about a foot short of the drain.  

I bought a hose and float thing for fresh water so the aqua roll fills itself. But the cap on it is too big. So I'll have to modify the existing cap on the roll I think. 

Biggest issue problem though was the gas oven setting off the carbon monoxide alarm.  Had planned to get her serviced before a proper trip away next year anyway. But need to with a focus on the gas system now as a priority. 

Oh and will need a better portable heater. 

Search on eBay, you will find single mirrors on there, possibly Amazon too. I bought one a few months ago. 

Edited by Flatcoat888

40 minutes ago, Ironeddie said:

Couple of little niggles, I'm on a fully serviced pitch but the hose I'd bought for waste is about a foot short of the drain.  

This is a common issue and will haunt you at certain sites as the drain location changes, I used to carry various lengths and joints, others may have their tips to share too. 

40 minutes ago, Ironeddie said:

bought a hose and float thing for fresh water so the aqua roll fills itself. But the cap on it is too big. So I'll have to modify the existing cap on the roll I think. 

That’s odd, you normally get both sized caps in the kit, they are definitely available. You can buy them separately so have a check online. 

Cheers, Martin

8 minutes ago, Martin said:

This is a common issue and will haunt you at certain sites as the drain location changes, I used to carry various lengths and joints, others may have their tips to share too. 

We do this, I have several 1 metre lengths of 38mm drainage pipe, a few 1/2 metre lengths and straight and angled push on connectors. The corrugated Y piece that attaches to the caravan waste outlet fits nicely into the push on connectors. I use one or two wooden blocks to ensure the pipes flow towards the drain.

Finding availability of a serviced pitch is a bigger challenge!

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

33 minutes ago, Martin said:

That’s odd, you normally get both sized caps in the kit, they are definitely available. You can buy them separately so have a check online. 

Just going to drill a hole in the cap that comes with the aqua roll I think. 

22 minutes ago, GaryB1969 said:

We do this, I have several 1 metre lengths of 38mm drainage pipe, a few 1/2 metre lengths and straight and angled push on connectors. The corrugated Y piece that attaches to the caravan waste outlet fits nicely into the push on connectors. I use one or two wooden blocks to ensure the pipes flow towards the drain.

Finding availability of a serviced pitch is a bigger challenge!

That's a thought. I might buy a shorter length of pipe and a connector. Adaptability depending on site sounds good.

1 hour ago, Ironeddie said:

I'm on a fully serviced pitch but the hose I'd bought for waste is about a foot short of the drain.  

Not cheap but we have a set of these Colapz

1 minute ago, Ironeddie said:

Just going to drill a hole in the cap that comes with the aqua roll I think. 

That would be ok if you're only ever going to use serviced pitches, but no use if you're taking it to a tap to fill up ;)

4 minutes ago, 8ftWanderer said:

Very not cheap. Looks good but i couldn't tell the wife I'd spent that on a pipe. 

4 minutes ago, Flat_at said:

That would be ok if you're only ever going to use serviced pitches, but no use if you're taking it to a tap to fill up ;)

It’d keep you fit trying to run back with it before it empties!!!!

4 minutes ago, Flat_at said:

Think it's a non return valve on the float so if I leave that attached to the cap it should be OK. 

You can just see the push together drain pipes I use in this photo.

66E4777B-E4D5-4628-B722-65BEAC5A3E9F.jpeg.667f2fd7192cecacca6c03a83fe8968d.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Ironeddie said:

Think it's a non return valve on the float so if I leave that attached to the cap it should be OK. 

Assuming it’s fitted to the cap on the side will it get in the way and stop you being able to roll it along?

14 minutes ago, 8ftWanderer said:

We've got a couple of sets of those - brilliant and take very little room to store between trips.  Highly recommended!:Plus1:

4 minutes ago, GaryB1969 said:

You can just see the push together drain pipes I use in this photo.

66E4777B-E4D5-4628-B722-65BEAC5A3E9F.jpeg.667f2fd7192cecacca6c03a83fe8968d.jpeg

Assuming it’s fitted to the cap on the side will it get in the way and stop you being able to roll it along?

Darn 🤣

It sounds to me as though your Aqua Roll is an old 25L one, not a modern 40L one.

Their caps are different sizes.

Edited by PR1

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

57 minutes ago, 8ftWanderer said:

:Plus1:

Bought a second set as I was on one pitch where our original set fell short.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back Bessacarr 845

1 hour ago, Talking Flag said:

We've got a couple of sets of those - brilliant and take very little room to store between trips.  Highly recommended!:Plus1:

£110 - you must be made of money. My 3mtr 32mm pipe and a couple of push fit joints cost just over a tenner.

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

3 minutes ago, Artleknock said:

£110 - you must be made of money. My 3mtr 32mm pipe and a couple of push fit joints cost just over a tenner.

Just watching the chap next to me clear his away!

I will also stick with my long pipe!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

14 minutes ago, Artleknock said:

£110 - you must be made of money...

Actually some on here are.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back Bessacarr 845

I keep fit doing the aquaroll,wastemaster,loo cassette walks:unsure:

We have two aquarolls reducing the exercise, one runs out swap it over refill later!

Useful if using onboard shower!

1 hour ago, 664DaveS said:

I keep fit doing the aquaroll,wastemaster,loo cassette walks:unsure:

We have two aquarolls reducing the exercise, one runs out swap it over refill later!

Useful if using onboard shower!

I do multidrop catering deliveries as a job for the world's biggest wholesalers. So I don't need to keep fit when on holiday too haha. 

Don't  blame you but I am a retired layabout now:)

5 hours ago, Ironeddie said:

If you go to "Caravan Accessories & Equipment", scroll down to "Caravan Water", the very first post is titled "Length of waste pipe needed on a serviced pitch?" Click that and the third post is by Flying Tog. He includes a link to his very excellent Caravan Chronicles post about his set up for the very thing you're asking. Have a read of that, I'm sure you will be impressed. I've been using his idea since 2013 and haven't been caught out yet.

9 hours ago, Ironeddie said:

Does anyone sell milenco aero 4s as a single? Yup on such a short drive an audi overtook too close and took the whole mirror, arm the lot off. 🤬 Maybe I should fork out for another pair and then I'll have a spare. 

Keep your eyes peeled when out and about, I have picked up a couple of (fully intact) Milenco Aero’s from the roadside so have a couple of spares now! 

Even if the mirror part is broken a new mirror glass is a lot less than a whole new unit.

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

14 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Keep your eyes peeled when out and about, I have picked up a couple of (fully intact) Milenco Aero’s from the roadside so have a couple of spares now! 

Even if the mirror part is broken a new mirror glass is a lot less than a whole new unit.

Did think about going and looking for mine but it was on a section of fast dual carriage so stopping to pick it up wouldn't be too smart. 

4 hours ago, Townie said:

If you go to "Caravan Accessories & Equipment", scroll down to "Caravan Water", the very first post is titled "Length of waste pipe needed on a serviced pitch?" Click that and the third post is by Flying Tog. He includes a link to his very excellent Caravan Chronicles post about his set up for the very thing you're asking. Have a read of that, I'm sure you will be impressed. I've been using his idea since 2013 and haven't been caught out yet.

Cool thanks I'll have a read.

11 hours ago, Ironeddie said:

Yup on such a short drive an audi overtook too close and took the whole mirror, arm the lot off. 🤬 Maybe I should fork out for another pair and then I'll have a spare. 

Awch! That's some impressive bad driving. He must have been a caravan spotter and was too busy checking out your van...

You considering a dash cam now?