Adria Adora Tiber

We were thinking of buying an Adria Adora caravan to replace our Sterling Elite 560 but we have a few concerns about the Adora that we'd like some help on:

Size - Although the body length is "only" 6.83m but 8.24m in total, it is longer than twin axle caravans and has a very long A-frame, is this a problem when towing, pitching or with insurance? Also at 2.46m is this really wider than other 8 foot caravans?

ATC - Should I worry that ATC is not included or available as a factory option? I also can't determine if shock absorbers are fitted as standard.

TIA

A longer A frame isn’t a problem towing it’s an advantage, in terms of reducing the nose weight and stability.  Insurance shouldn’t be a problem, get a quote before you commit.  It is a a big caravan if you are happy with the overall length and width I would go for it.  We have been towing a 2.4 x 8m  single axle Hymer for the last 5 years without problem.   I would of thought it would be fitted with shock absorbers, but even if it isn’t then I don’t think they cost a fortune to fit.   The ATC again I think it can be retro fitted but likely to cost a bit.  I would go for it.  

I have a new Altea Tyne and before that for many years a Hymer Nova both with the long A frames. Far from being a problem they are far more stable than caravans (typically british) with short A frames  and tow beautifully.

One possible thing to maybe consider with the length in excess of 8mtrs if ever you wish to take it over the water some ferry companies, Calmac certainly, class it as a commercial vehicle and charge somewhere between double and triple what you'd pay for a shorter than 8mtr van.

You will probably find you will find some campsites that wont take a caravan at this length.

If your a biker it's quite easy to put a bike frame on the long A frame. 

You can safely stand on the A frame, makes it easier cleaning the front and window.

My Altea doesnt come with shockers as standard but I believe the Adoras do. Having towed several caravans for many years some with and some without I can honestly say I couldnt tell the difference. I asked the dealer when I bought my Altea and while he would have fit some for me his advise matched my experience, so I didn't bother.

Ditto ATC, he would have fit it for me but reckons with the longer wheelbase I wouldn't notice the difference so again I didn't bother.

I've never had a van with ATC. I have had British short drawbar Van's and some of them have felt decidedly unstable and would have undoubtedly benefited. My Hymer, that I had 8 years and now the Altea Tyne with the longer drawbars are inherently more stable and have never given even the slightest wiggle.

Our Knaus is 2.5m wide and although it did take a bit of getting used to at first, I'm now very confident with it.  Also having the longer A-frame, and large footprint on the road, makes it very stable when towing and it isn't affected by the wind as much as smaller vans. We haven't had a problem with pitching although we tend to mainly use CLs and CS's where space isn't so much of an issue.  That said we have been on a number of CMC sites and haven't had a problem, even with a 2.5m awning erected.

I do tend to be careful where we take it, though and if going to a new site, spend a lot of time researching the route on Google maps to make sure there aren't any nasty surprises in store - but I used to do this with the Barcelona as well.

I have noticed that on C&CC sites, they don't seem to accept vans over 8m on their on-line booking system and whereas our previous 7.9m Barcelona was acceptable, the Knaus gets 'rejected' as 'no pitches available'. That's when it suddenly shrinks and becomes 7.95m!!

I can't comment on the ATC issue since all of our vans have had it fitted but I have never been aware of it having to activate. Since our insurer (CMC) gives a sizeable discount for having it fitted at least they must consider it worthwhile as a safety feature.

VW Touareg Escape towing a 2018 Knaus Starclass 695

We have an Adora Sava - it's the same size but is a twin axle. It is much more stable than our previous 7.5m single axle normal width van. Although it is 80cm longer, most of that length is in the A frame. This isn't an issue for us as we park it on the drive with the A frame under a car port.

It doesn't have shock absorbers but the single axles may have. We fitted shocks to the previous van but never felt much difference (we only did a few trips without them).

The Adora has the AL-KO Delta axle which is apparently a lot more stable for towing than the simpler axle the UK manufacturers fit (also the Altea has the simpler axle). We don't know whether the improved stability we have is due to the extra width, the axle type, the A frame or the extra axle. Maybe they all help?

So far, the width hasn't been a big issue, though I was worried. It's most noticeable in towns and villages, where, passing parked cars, you have to wait for the same gap in traffic that a HGV would.  On country roads you just end up taking up more space so maybe progress is a little slower. We bought the extension arms for the milenco mirrors and rear visibility is just as good as it ever was.

We used Cal Mac ferries this summer but booked as a caravan (we booked when we had the previous van and never amended it).  We had no issue but I can't guarantee that it never would be.  Some sites refuse twin axles or longer caravans but we end to take it on a case by case basis and are happy to shrink the caravan when booking if we know that the length really isn't an issue.  

IMO ATC type systems should be mandatory however as others have said the Adria chassis set up is reputed for its stability. Our van always shrinks when booking ferries……😉

1 hour ago, Flatcoat888 said:

IMO ATC type systems should be mandatory however as others have said the Adria chassis set up is reputed for its stability. Our van always shrinks when booking ferries……😉

Going with BF one year the check in woman came out and measured my daughters caravan to check it was the length she had stated. It was, so no problem. So you may fall foul one day.

1 hour ago, madasaman said:

Going with BF one year the check in woman came out and measured my daughters caravan to check it was the length she had stated. It was, so no problem. So you may fall foul one day.

I have had that happen a few times when going through Portsmouth. I have a 7.4m Caravan.

Obviously some try and “squeeze” their declared length down a bit !! Hardly worth the hassle is it? 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

ATC is a safety aid and could help prevent a disaster but should not be used to cover a stability problem. You do have to weigh up the cost against the benefits and decide if you are prepared to pay for that extra security.

At £450 as an aftermarket fit (less when factory fitted) I consider ATC an absolute no brainier.  In an ideal world it will never be needed, but if it cuts in just once, and prevents a “caravan falling over” incident it’s worth every penny.  

If you have ever seen a caravan that has fallen over,  and the utter mayhem that ensues, you would, without doubt, feel the same way. If a caravan tips over its written off! Sometimes the towcar escapes with minimal damage, but sometimes it goes over as well, and that often results in it being written off. 

Whats £450 as a percentage of the cost of a new caravan??

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

2 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

At £450 as an aftermarket fit (less when factory fitted) I consider ATC an absolute no brainier.  In an ideal world it will never be needed, but if it cuts in just once, and prevents a “caravan falling over” incident it’s worth every penny.  

If you have ever seen a caravan that has fallen over,  and the utter mayhem that ensues, you would, without doubt, feel the same way. If a caravan tips over its written off! Sometimes the towcar escapes with minimal damage, but sometimes it goes over as well, and that often results in it being written off. 

Whats £450 as a percentage of the cost of a new caravan??

Absolutely agree

one final point if you have Milenco type mirrors you can get extension arms to improve the view if necessary.  

Two very good FB grouos if you want detailed and practical advice - "We Love Adria" and "Adria Caravans & Motorhomes Owners".

We had an Adria Adiva  530UP. It was the best caravan we ever owned.

Edited by Ern

Our Tiber is fitted with shock absorbers. Having come from twin axles the caravan is very stable in all conditions

Thank you everyone for your replies which have been really helpful. We are now convinced that the Tiber would suit us (2 adults + 2 small dogs) and we would be confident about towing it with our X5 as towcar, but still have concerns about the length of 8244 when arriving on pitches, etc.  Whilst we mull it over further, we realise that our 560 is hard to beat. Thank you again.  

I doubt the length is a problem as almost all sites seem to take at least 9m models.  A motor mover should solve any problem there. 

On 16/10/2021 at 09:55, Lesley S said:

Thank you everyone for your replies which have been really helpful. We are now convinced that the Tiber would suit us (2 adults + 2 small dogs) and we would be confident about towing it with our X5 as towcar, but still have concerns about the length of 8244 when arriving on pitches, etc.  Whilst we mull it over further, we realise that our 560 is hard to beat. Thank you again.  

If you don't restrict yourselves to either of the Club sites (and some commercial ones), there are masses of CLs and CS's out there where van length is never going to be a problem.  We use them most of the time and just because they're invariably on farms and the like doesn't necessarily mean that access will be difficult. Just needs a bit of research. We're on one at the moment - 2 acres - just us and a moho and more space than we know what to do with!

VW Touareg Escape towing a 2018 Knaus Starclass 695

Our buc is over 8m long and we have absolutely no issue with site length at all. 

Where can you get ATC fitted for £450, the best price Ive found has been £730 at Yorkshirecaravans.com

On 15/10/2021 at 11:55, Mr Plodd said:

Obviously some try and “squeeze” their declared length down a bit !! Hardly worth the hassle is it? 

It's not something I would ever do but some would argue with "Hardly worth the hassle" 

Calmac, Oban - Lochboisdale 2 adults car and caravan upto 8mtrs  = £422.50

Over 8mtrs can't be booked online you have to do it by phone, my Adria Altea Tyne 8.24mtrs £788.50.

Over 8mtrs is classed as a commercial vehicle