Motorhome storage and security

We are in the process of looking at some storage for our motorhome but the owner where we are looking says he would need a spare key leaving?  As we are new to this, would it be the norm for them to ask ? Please can you let me know your thoughts?

not heard that one before, your contact number should be sufficient. Our's insist that we have up to date insurance and the insurance say we have to have a hitch lock and a wheel lock on our caravan so a key would  be of no use  either  if your ins. insist that you have locks on your motor home. 

Lisarem, over the years I’ve had 3 storage sites that insisted on holding a spare key … … but none of them could say why when asked … apart from “just in case” !

My current storage owner says he definitely doesn’t want any keys as they’re “too much responsibility”.

If you trust them, and you need the storage - go for it.

Jim.

Does seem a little strange, but then if they are running the business they can make whatever rules they like.  I would be very wary as your insurance would have to be happy with they way they were storing the keys and the security thereof.  It is a requirement of our van insurance that it is not left with any spare keys in it for example.

I don't know whether its usual for a storage business to ask for a set of motorhome keys but if you think about if for any reason they have to move a vehicle it would make sense. I would check with the insurance company that they are happy with it.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Depends how close you live to the storage premises. If a fire broke out/stormy weather could you get there in time to move it? 

Edited by gtepete

Our caravan storage insists on keys for the van and all security products. I guess same for Motorhomes in case of emergency they need to move them.

Not universal but not unusual.

We bought a heavy duty AL-KO hitchlock recently which states it can be left on whilst towing. The guy at the sales place recommended not to in case emergency services needed to unhitch the van. So similar idea.

Thank you all for your comments and advice it is very much appreciated.