My Electric Step works fine in & out by the Switch in the Motorhome, however doesnt retract in when you start Engine and drive off, any ideas welcome

Frankia i740 Plus on Merc Chassis.

Thanks in advance

When we had our small motorhome,I was told that if the ignition is switched on or engine running,the step will not operate.

Apparently,it cuts the power to the step due to it possibly being lowered or raised whilst the motorhome is moving.

I may have been given the wrong information,but I thought it sounded correct at the time.

Welcome to the forum Dean, what year is the Frankia?

Cheers, Martin

3 hours ago, George&Ade said:

When we had our small motorhome,I was told that if the ignition is switched on or engine running,the step will not operate.

Apparently,it cuts the power to the step due to it possibly being lowered or raised whilst the motorhome is moving.

I may have been given the wrong information,but I thought it sounded correct at the time.

That is “sort of” correct. The system is configured so the step retracts automatically when the engine is started and the power to deploy it is  cut off and doesn’t become live again until the ignition is switched off.

That way the step is never (when it works) left sticking out which represents a serious danger to pedestrians (imagine one catching your leg at 30mph :o )and it cannot be put out until the vehicle is stationary with the engine switched off. 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

👍